XCOM2 War of the Chosen

pharma

Legend
Really looking forward to War of the Chosen! Even though I completed the previous XCOM games I still enjoy playing a mission when I get bored.

I'm torn over this kind of DLCs. I finished Xcom2, so I know the end and all... But all the previous DLCs, plus this one, it seems it will change the solo campagne a lot right ? It's not a new game, but, it seems good even for a guy who finished the vanilla xcom2... ?

Agreed! It won't be a new game but I'm curious to see what has changed in the solo campaigne. Perhaps this time around I'll change the difficulty level to spice things up.
One thing I love about the game is you can play completely with just the mouse and no keyboard. Great for lazy folk and minimalists. :p

Started it yesterday, already addicted. Some "bugs" from the engine are still here, like the massive vram usage even without msaa at 1440p. I noticed back in the vanilla days that my FuryX run out of vram, rtss was showing 39xx vram usage sometimes, when nothing on screen "justified" it.
Now with my Vega FE, I already saw a peak at 7gb usage. It doesn't matter now with 16gb of vram but still... I hope Xcom3 will use another engine or something...

From what I've been hearing, this DLC is more like the old Expansions that used to get released for games. A LOT of content in it. I'd be picking this up if I had more time. But with how busy life is right now, I can't afford to get too distracted by a game. :(

Regards,
SB

I've decided to maintain the status quo and not go to the end game scenario. They have added additional methods to keep the Alien counter from advancing.
I enjoy doing a few missions each day without having to worry about annihilation.

Looks like the familiar turn-based system has some tweaks I'll need to get used to.

XCOM: Chimera Squad Review – A Successful Experiment
April 23, 2020
Chimera Squad is not a departure from the series foundation that was formed with Enemy Unknown, nor is it an evolution like War of Chosen. It is something else, an experimental offshoot from the main games that changes the formula without ever risking the other entries. This is great for fans of the series, as the tweaks made in Chimera Squad radically change the way you’ll play compared to any of the other XCOM games.
Because Chimera Squad is turn-based in its most fundamental sense. Unlike the other games in the series where you spent your turn moving and using your entire team before the enemies did the same, Chimera Squad has a proper initiative order. If you’ve ever played Dungeons and Dragons or Divinity: Original Sin, for instance, you’ll be acquainted with the principle, but it still feels incredibly fresh in XCOM.

It might appear to be almost the same on the surface, but it completely changes the way you’ll have to deal with each encounter. Your most powerful unit might debate spending their turn finishing off a wounded grunt because it goes next and might be more dangerous than the turret that doesn’t get to fire until the end of the round. Meanwhile, your medic might have to make a clutch shot against the boss that’s about to slice through your entire team because she’s the only one who can react in time.
Other than that, Chimera Squad’s biggest frustration is missing crucial, nearly impossible to miss shots, but that rollercoaster ride of tactical planning and desperate adaptation when it all goes wrong is XCOM’s blessing and its curse. And for those not playing on Ironman mode, the option to reset the current room, rather than the whole mission, means you can try again instantly if it all goes completely wrong.

The new features that Chimera Squad experiments with fit perfectly with the franchise, and showcase a smaller, more focused battle system that loses none of the tension of XCOM's trademark strategic planning. New fans can pick up Chimera Squad and get all the skills they need to go and play its predecessor, while veterans can learn to overcome the brand new challenges.
https://wccftech.com/review/xcom-chimera-squad-successful-experiment/

Yeah... imagine my dismay that it's not unlocking for another few hours near the *end* of the 23rd. :|

Back