XboxNext for 2006

AlphaWolf

Specious Misanthrope
Legend
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/truefantasyliveonline/news_6086279.html

"I hope that we can release the machine in the near future, but it won't be next year," commented Maruyama, who joined Microsoft last September after being hired away from Square Enix. "Considering that the PlayStation 2 is entering its fifth year and that its game lineup is in its prime, we're estimating that the successor to that console will be released after 2006. Whether we'll release the successor of the Xbox before the PS2's needs to be decided carefully. It has strong pros and cons."

I think we'd all benefit from letting PS2 mature one more year... first, there's the obvious extra time for GC and Xbox to live 'full' lives, rather than having them cut short (4 years... bleh)...

But there are two side benefits.

1. PS2 devs are obviously getting the hang of coding now, with some absolutely beautiful games appearing, giving them one more year to focus on the console could have astounding results as the live cycle winds down.

2. It'd possibly set a precedent for a 6 year console life span, which would nicely benefit the consumers, developers, and resellers alike.

Yup, 2006 is the date I've heard from some friends working on Xbox 2 titles. The PS3 hardware isn't ready yet, and probably won't be for a while, then they need to give developers at least a year of developing on the real platform (not emulators and other junk) before releasing it to the public.

Qroach said:
Yup, 2006 is the date I've heard fomr some friends working on Xbox 2 titles. The PS3 hardware isn't ready yet, and probably won't be for a while, then they need to give developers at least a year of developing on the real platform (not emulators and othe rjunk) before releasing it to the public.

Well, if correct, recent statements out of SCE/Toshiba indicate that they shall have 65nm samples around March. Even if we assume several revisions and fall 2004 before Devkits, that's your year right there.

don't forget the time needed to write all the sony development tools before it's in developers hands. most of that comes after the hardware is ready.

don't forget the time needed to write all the sony development tools before it's in developers hands. most of that comes after the hardware is ready.

Cell is taking a approach in which the software is developed along side the hardware..

Anyway, Vince beat me to it, Sony could begin producing BE's in 2 months.. Infact Kutaragi says they will have a prototype system by march.

Cell is taking a approach in which the software is developed along side the hardware..

If you beleive that, you'll beleive anything. It takes months of the manufacturer working with the final hardware before it's ready for external developers. Tools and documentation can't develop itself, specifically when it's a new hardware platform.

Anyway, Vince me to it, Sony could begin producing BE's in 2 months.. Infact Kutaragi says they will have a prototype system by march.

You guys are falling for the hype machine "again". Let me put it this way. Developers won't have any hardware that can be actually developed on until mid 2005 at the earliest. Sure they can start workingon thier games, but it will be started with guess work until there's real development hardware. There certainly won't be hardware ready by the end of this year for that purpose.

If you beleive that, you'll beleive anything. It takes months of the manufacturer working with the final hardware before it's ready for external developers. Tools and documentation can't develop itself, specifically when it's a new hardware platform.

It's you vs people like Kahle who state that Cell's software and OS are being developed along side the hardware.

Creating an operating system and a set of applications that can take advantage of the Cell's multiprocessing and peer-to-peer computing capabilities will be the key to determining if Cell will be successful. Knowing this, the three chip partners have so far set a goal of crafting Cell as a system, creating operating system and application software alongside the Cell hardware.

You guys are falling for the hype machine "again".

Talking about prototype systems and when OTSS will be able to produce sample 65 nm BE's is hype? Please, oh and don't put your words in my mouth about me "falling for the hype again" because you don't know me.

Let me put it this way. Developers won't have any hardware that can be actually developed on until mid 2005 at the earliest.

Aren't you the real Mrs Cleo? I'm actually baffled at this statement as Toshiba and Sony plan to mass produce the Broadband Engine mid 2005 for use in PS3.

Sampe production(for tech demos and kits) will start in March.. Infact Kutaragi says he will have a prototype by march.

There certainly won't be hardware ready by the end of this year for that purpose.

Don't even get me started, because your wrong basically, I'm not even going to bother.

Looks like the name for the Xbox Next will be Xenon.

http://www.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=e351a7c1-e76b-42dc-98e0-a0076cdcd9b3

Key roles and responsibilities for this position include: drive cost reduction opportunities via design for manufacturability review with dev and strategic sourcing teams for Xenon console and peripherals; investigate DFQ methodologies and recommend approach to Xenon; work with key stakeholders to identify team goals, metrics to measure them, and insure alignment with strategic business objectives; develop manufacturing engineering support program for Xbox Xenon peripherals;

wait a minute ... was "after 2006" a typo , or did Yoshihiro Maruyama, the chief of Microsoft Japan's Xbox division say that Microsoft believes the PlayStation 3 will be released in 2007 ?!?!?
we're estimating that the successor to that console will be released after 2006

You guys are falling for the hype machine "again"
Sigh...

So hoping for the release in the reasonable time frame (five years after PS2 is introduced) is 'falling for the hype machine'?

Besides, don't you think your comment is kinda misdirected? People who fell for the 'hype machine' would probably be jaded and disappointed, not upbeat about the Sony's next console? (Either that or you are talking to people who think that *gasp* hyped console actually delivered! Impossible?)

Alphawolf:

"Xenon" isn't something even M$ is going to be able to trademark. It's a small miracle they were able to do it with "Windows"... *cough* *ahem*

DaveBaumann said:
Qroach said:
You guys are falling for the hype machine "again".

Nah, such a thing would never happen!! ;)

Compared to the legions of ATI fanatic/lunitics that inhabit this site and post based on zero factual/circumstantial evidence, we're overall very conservative.

PS. Hey Dave, speaking of "Hype," when is Sony/STI/OTSS going to get some recognition from you? This is a 3D site, why isn't Sony's 90nm SoC (with eDRAM to boot) - as in the one I can buy tonight if I so desired - mentioned in your blurb on 90nm? Are they in some way different than ATI and nVidia's 3D parts who are still on 130nm and won't be at an equal position for upwards of a year?

Compared to the legions of ATI fanatic/lunitics that inhabit this site and post based on zero factual/circumstantial evidence, we're overall very conservative.

For sure there are a fair share of fanatics from all parties (including XGI :?: ), however I don’t see why this forum shouldn’t reflect popular user opinion more or less than any other (Toms Readers Choice, Xbit labs awards).

PS. Hey Dave, speaking of "Hype," when is Sony/STI/OTSS going to get some recognition from you? This is a 3D site, why isn't Sony's 90nm SoC (with eDRAM to boot) - as in the one I can buy tonight if I so desired - mentioned in your blurb on 90nm? Are they in some way different than ATI and nVidia's 3D parts who are still on 130nm and won't be at an equal position for upwards of a year?

How many times have we stated this is predominantly a PC related site Vince? I thought that would have sunk in by now. Sure, we’ll sometimes talk about things that stem from the PC IHV’s that aren’t necessarily primarily PC related, but invariably they have their roots in the technology trickled down from the PC and their developments can also have an impact on the IHV’s bottom line which translates into further R&D $$$. Are Sony particularly involved in original 3D hardware manufacturing for the PC? Not that I can see.

However, I’m sure if Sony show an interest in us and contact us then we’d be happy to listen to them, unlike all the PC vendors they have mode no inclination towards that so far.

Paul said:
Nah, such a thing would never happen!! ;)

Hey, if you don't like it, what are you doing here?

I've just spent a buttload of money on this site getting it working again after the server was hacked. Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Back