XBOX360 launch day preorders begin to sellout across country

Ruined

Regular
According to this thread at the popular gaming forum "Cheap Ass Gamer," EB, GameCrazy, GameStop, and other retail chain consumers are starting to be turned down for "launch day" preorders of XBOX360, and being added to a "Week 2" list.

So, bottom line, if you want an XBOX360 at launch, now would be the time to go to your local EB/GameStop and preorder!

System will go for $300 and will launch with 25-40 titles over the holiday season. System also includes free XBOX Live online multiplayer gaming on weekends.

Heh, this makes me a bit nervous. I usually pick up a console at places that don't do preorders, cause I think waiting in line for stuff like this is fun. I hope I get one. =(

How many Xbox360's constitutes a week of shipments?

This doesn't really say much...

I don't think EB/Gamestop/etc even know how many actual consoles they'll get per shipment -- they are probably playing it safe and betting on the low end as not to piss tons of people off (I would hope?).

I see this situation; same as PSP, all the game stores will be sold out, but the places you wouldn't expect to go to buy them, Target and Wal-Mart, will have some on the store floor for sale.

(I thought this was old news as well - all the game stores in my area are several weeks into turning people down at this point)

xbdestroya said:
I see this situation; same as PSP, all the game stores will be sold out, but the places you wouldn't expect to go to buy them, Target and Wal-Mart, will have some on the store floor for sale.

Hah, wouldn't surprise me ;)

I think the best bet is to avoid places that take preorders (as gurgi said), unless you got one on hold already.

It was the same nonsense with the original xbox, and I got my mines on launch day with out any hassle, just walked into Toy R US and they were on the floor.

I doubt Target will have enough. They usually don't carry that many units to begin with. TRU is a better bet, or BB, Circuit City.

Bobbler said:
How many Xbox360's constitutes a week of shipments?

This doesn't really say much...

I don't think EB/Gamestop/etc even know how many actual consoles they'll get per shipment -- they are probably playing it safe and betting on the low end as not to piss tons of people off (I would hope?).

Apparently, retailers are steeling themselves for small day 1 shipments. Once they get confirmation of actual shipment numbers, they'll move the list to allows the "second" and "third" shipment folks to get the system day 1. They just don't want to get burned by promising something that's out of their control.

However, this doesn't affect the fact that the preorders for the 360 will be the largest for any console ever. Preordering has really taken flight this generation after people got burned on the PS2 and will benefit Microsoft greatly.

I usually have good luck at Target. The only problem I've run into there was at PS2 launch. It was a zoo heh. My brother managed to get one though, so at least I got to play until I got my own.

Apparently, retailers are steeling themselves for small day 1 shipments. Once they get confirmation of actual shipment numbers, they'll move the list to allows the "second" and "third" shipment folks to get the system day 1. They just don't want to get burned by promising something that's out of their control.
actualy i'm hearing from some people a bit higher gamestop is supposed to get anywhere from 250k to 500k in the first shipment and then moe units to flow in 2 weeks after that at around 20-30k systems a week . That is alot of numbers for just gamestop at launch. The chain as a whole has alot of preorders , i've heard in confrence calls with the managers that we were around 75k and this was 2 weeks after e3

jvd said:
actualy i'm hearing from some people a bit higher gamestop is supposed to get anywhere from 250k to 500k in the first shipment and then moe units to flow in 2 weeks after that at around 20-30k systems a week . That is alot of numbers for just gamestop at launch. The chain as a whole has alot of preorders , i've heard in confrence calls with the managers that we were around 75k and this was 2 weeks after e3

500k at launch?

I'll even assume that number includes the merger with EB (which it probably doesn't). Gamestop + EB should have a market share of ~22-23%, so that would mean 2M units available Day 1 for North America??? If it doesn't include EB, then that would be 4M+ units available day 1?

Seems a bit of a stretch given the simultaneous worldwide launch.

Back