xbox360 game's graphics > PC game's graphics?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by whatsinaname, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatsinaname

Newcomer

Just a quick question but has there been a comparison done by anyone or has anyone seen any of the games that are out now for both the xbox360 and the PC and if so which currently are looking better?

From the limited amount I've seen I'd have to give the nod to the xbox360 and that makes me really sad since I'm a pc gamer lol. What do you guys think?

2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

There has been no objective comparison that I have seen. Some sites claim X360 superiority, some claim PC. None show comparison screenshots, framerates, confirmed graphical settings etc....

I suppose the candidates would be:

Call of Duty 2
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    King Kong (gamers edition)
    Quake 4

Any more?

3. Diplo

Veteran

The only one I've seen (in screenshots) is Call of Duty 2 which looks pretty much the same on both formats. However CoD2, whilst being pretty in action, isn't using too much cuttin' edge tech. I think a high-end PC still has the edge and this will only increase over time.

4. Diplo

Veteran

Noticed this in the GameSpot review for Quake 4 on Xbo360:
    Of course, that may be down to a bad port, but you wouldn't think it would be too difficult to do...

5. ANova

Veteran

I've played NFSMW on both the pc and the x360 and neither look any better then the other imo.

6. Reverend

Banned

The only "fair" comparison between a console and the PC is if a screenshot was taken with the same number of pixels for both, provided all other 3D features are equal (number of pixels isn't exactly a "3D feature", now is it?). I don't think this will likely happen.

7. Sxotty

Veteran

There is nothing "sad" about it if the 360 is better, in fact the 360 SHOULD be better for ow, I mean it has a triple core and a newer GPU than is available on the PC. The only "sad" thing is if it is not clearly better looking than a PC which it SHOULD be at the moment. Yes, yes I know PCs cost an exoritant amount in comparison, still a console should look amazing right when it is released. I personally think they missed out on the amazing titles at release, and for that reason it will never have the pazaz that it might otherwise have. In other words PC hardware will catch up by the time any good looking games come out for it.

8. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

I agree the wow factor is not there for XBox360, when I got my Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure, I was amazed, it was a whole new world compared to my PC; with XBox360 it just looks like my PC games (image quality wise, and unfortunately gameplay wise).

We'll have to wait before we see real "next-gen" titles, maybe "Gears of War" will be the first ?

[edit]
    In fact PD0 look worse than PC games, everything's way too plastic/shiny.
    CoD2 is fine.

9. CMAN

Regular

Am I correct in remembering when other consoles came out they seemed to slaughter the current high end computers, but that is not happening now. If the XBox360 was such an ambitious project, then why is it not more impressive to us (people without high end computers think it's the second coming)?

I remember reading an article from 1Up that rated XBox360 games and compared them to other consoles or the PC, and many games looked the same or worse. I can only think these "ports" are not taking advantage of the XBox360 due to the complexity of coding "correctly" for the platform.

IMO the XBox 360 is more powerful if coded correctly for. However, by the time games come out coded for the XBox 360, high end computers will probably already have caught up. Graphic cards have gone crazy the last couple of years in performance increases. Look at the NV30 compared the the current 512 MB 7800 GTX or the 8500 Pro to a X1800 XT. Plus consumers are willing to pay more with SLI set ups too.

10. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

I think the magnitude of the 'leap of performance' is getting less and less visible.

Going from 2d scrollers to 3d was a big change. Going from non-textured to textured was a big change.

Now its just smoother, more pixels, and more polygons, with a few cinematic details added. There's no giant paradigm shifts happening.

11. Diplo

Veteran

I think a few factors are influencing this: The main one being that developers have been under real pressure to get games released for the 360 launch date. This has inevitably meant that most have just ported existing games from existing consoles or PC (how many 360 launch titles are NOT sequels or ports?). I doubt many have even really bothered to optimise threads for triple-core or managed memory efficiently. It's probably been the old, "Does it compile? Then ship it!" attitude that exists in most software houses when under pressure (*cough*).

Give it time and we'll have a better idea of what the machine can do...

12. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I'm agreeing with Diplo on the "wait and see" approach.

Most reports I've been hearing from PC gamers I know who see the X360 have been inclined to mention the lack of AA as a real disapointment to 'em. :(

13. cloudscapes

Regular

Of course people will argue that the 360 does have AA, but at the moment we're only seeing 2XAA, which is almost like having none on a big enough TV if you ask me. That's a shock to PC gamers who are used to 4X minimum.

14. mcsven

Newcomer

I agree. However I wonder what the next big leap will be?

Not strictly graphically related, the next biggie for me in FPSs is fully deformable scenery - which would have to be tied to a large increase in AI capability to make a viable game. I'd love to be able to decide my own route through Doom 3 for instance.

15. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Putting cost aside the X360 isn't even remotely as powerful as the highest end PC's.

Even a single GPU GTX 512 system is on a par with the PS3, but the highest end systems would have two of these beasts in. You could even go for the versions which are overclocked as standard.

This is probably the most powerful stock gaming PC you can get today:

AthlonX2 4800+
    2GB DRR400
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    2x EVGA 7800GTX 512MB Blackpearl editions (600/1800)

An X360 certainly isn't packing as much gaming muscle as that. In fact I doubt it even has half.

16. Sxotty

Veteran

That is what I said Diplo :)

I said that later titles will look better, but if they take to long to come out they will not overlap the window wherein the Xbox 360 is superior to a PC.

I say we blame it on longer development times, if that is really true, then maybe a console will never again have that window to shine in...But really that just means they need dev kits out earlier.

17. Nite_Hawk

Veteran

Just from having played the demo kiosk (granted, the real versions of games are apparently nicer looking), I wasn't very impressed. The lack of AA was pretty distinct, and the games didn't really look that terribly next gen anyway.

I imagine they'll be able to do some pretty nice things with the harder with the second generation of games, but like others have said, PC hardware will have evolved by then as well. I think probably the best argument right now is that you can get near top-end PC performance for $300, which is fairly compelling if you don't have a decent PC already.

Still, I'm personally sticking with my PC.

Nite_Hawk

18. pakotlar

Banned

I saw COD2 Xbox360 on a 50" Plasma @ Best Buy today, and quite honestly it looks amazing. I'm a bit perplexed as to how they didn't include 8xAF in the game, but I very seriously doubt that is due to a lack of processing power on the hardware end. It looked like it does on my $1500 machine (minus AA, ofcourse, as this was the pre-release demo) and ran a good clip smoother. Also, for the first time in my life, I could actually see myself enjoying an FPS with a game controller. I don't know what it is about the xbox360 controller, but it feels are responds heads and shoulders above anything I've ever used. I was previously a big fan of the DS2, but compared to this pad, DS2 feels like moving wooden fingers. It's just smoother, and more responsive. I had good accuracy, and fast reflexes. And I got the same visceral feel of combat that I did on my PC. The A.I wasn't dumbed down to reflect console controls and there was none of that fucking auto-aim that has plagued console shooters since the dawn of time. I give it a big thumbs up. I will be picking one up asap.

19. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

I think the biggest problem is that the CPU architectures of these consoles keeps changing every generation.

20. Doomtrooper

Veteran

I think you are overlooking the fact the PC's platform was not designed for games, no overhead on a console. I would take a X-box 360 up against any high end PC like above anyday at HD resolution. In fact the nice thing about the 360 is it capable of delivering the graphics the the above PC system at the price of one 7800 GTX.
    Could you buy a PC today with a triple core CPU @ 3.2 Ghz with a 512 meg PS3 video card @ 500 mhz with 10 meg of ebedded Dram for $400. Add with that the seamless voice interaction with friend online makes it in my opinion a good excuse to dump PC gaming in general.

Basing assumptions on games on 1st gen releases is not wise, some of the games being released latley on last gen consoles are only now fully utilizing their potential.
    All this come from a former PC gaming 'addict', I'm all for cheap entertainment and IBM, MS$ and ATI have made a gamers heaven especially if you own a HD TV.

#20 Doomtrooper, Dec 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.