xbox360 arcade and xbox live

redrzewski

Newcomer
I've already got a launch 360 (with hd) as my primary. I'm thinking about getting an arcade for system-link Gears co-op and potentially online Gears.

Can the arcade handle full online gaming with a gold account and everything? Or will the 512meg limit quickly fail - or perhaps not be supported at all?

I realize that downloading other map packs may be a problem in the future too. But as long as I can get basic online, that may be good enough.

thanks

For basic online gaming for any game, only a 64mb memory card is necessary to store your Live Gold/Gamertag account. However, Microsoft has stated that the New Xbox Experience(NXE dashboard) to be released on Nov. 19 will require 128mb of a memory card. Not known if that's temporary or permanent. I would say an Arcade bundle with its 256mb memory card would work with no problems.

Tommy McClain

I would probably take advantage of the current Microsoft offer for Arcade owners and buy the 20GB hdd with the three months of Live.

Yep. Or maybe look for a refurbished/used 20GB drive at ebay, Gamestop etc. Should be dirt cheap, in the range of $20-$40.

Seems MS is looking to clear out old inventory and get Core/Arcade owners on the Live bandwagon, thus catching two birds with one stone. Depending on region they appear to be offering either a $29 20GB and/or a free 512MB memory module.

http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/hh/web/home/hhauthentication.jsp

I recently took advantage of that when I bought a second 360. Got a brand new $170 360 Arcade from Dell, sold the Sega Tennis game that came with it on ebay for $10, and it qualified for the 20gb drive offer which I got for $30. So $190 got me a 360 pro :) I could probably sell the 256mb memory card that came with it as well, but I'll keep that to back up my Mass Effect save game :)

Back