Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

A little late to the party, but I finally found a Series X console in stock so I bought one. For the past year, I've been gaming on a Series S because I couldn't find a Series X in stock anywhere other than from scalpers. Also didn't want to hang onto the Series S after getting the X so traded it in at GameStop for store credit of $165. I keep postponing trading in my older Xbox One S for store credit due to being lazy and now they're only worth $66. Keeping my X1X though.

Lol I didn't realize my low end Yamaha avr startup time is actually fast.

Right after it made a relay click sound, Xbox whoooosh sound comes out

Right!? Even when I cold power up, it's past that point by the time the AVR powers up or switches inputs.
Have you never turned on your Xbox when the TV/AVR was already on? like switching from watching TV?

I don't switch to Xbox from TV or anything else. I use Xbox all the time. I also don't use Energy Saver. Always run in Standby mode so I can always have the latest OS & game updates installed over night.

Tommy

I don't switch to Xbox from TV or anything else. I use Xbox all the time. I also don't use Energy Saver. Always run in Standby mode so I can always have the latest OS & game updates installed over night.
My Series X is still not reliably downloading/installing all game updates. I am beginning to think is an unpublished-rule about what it will auto-download and install - which was the same for PS4 which I think auto-updated the last 6-8 games you had played. On my Series X some games are always kept up to date (the ones I play a lot), some games have patches downloaded but the patch has not installed and some games there is no download either.

I guess that's the bliss of series s. It's storage is so small, only very few games can be installed, so they are still inside the "always auto update" quota

IMHO the update feature is also unnecessary slow. Comparing some version numbers of installed games with the server shouldn't take minutes. It's like it does some deep scan of all files on all connected HDs

IMHO the update feature is also unnecessary slow. Comparing some version numbers of installed games with the server shouldn't take minutes. It's like it does some deep scan of all files on all connected HDs
When was the last time you looked at this? They had an update in this area on the insider rings a couple months ago. i don't know if its public yet.

I haven't had an update check take more than 15 seconds. It's 5 seconds to first display and another 10 seconds for additional checks.

Well, looking at the scan process it still takes ages so if there is an improvement it might not be public.

I have 3 volumes, 1TB XSX, 1TB SSD and 4TB HDD on USB3

The Update Scan time was reduced in one of the recent system updates. Very noticeable improvement in scan speed. Mine went from around 30s+ down to about 5s. I currently have a single 1TB USB SSD attached along with the internal 1TB drive. The USB drive is for playing non Series X games directly and for storing Series X games that I don't play often which I copy to the internal whenever I play them.

Last edited:
It's going to be interesting to see what Forza Motorsport brings to this generation of Xbox consoles. Especially as you can think of Turn 10 as being the engine developer for Playground Games, albeit Playground also modifies the engine to their own purposes. That means what we see showcased will likely be the base engine that the next FH will use as well as potentially other Playground Games developed titles.

Regards,
SB

It's going to be interesting to see what Forza Motorsport brings to this generation of Xbox consoles. Especially as you can think of Turn 10 as being the engine developer for Playground Games, albeit Playground also modifies the engine to their own purposes. That means what we see showcased will likely be the base engine that the next FH will use as well as potentially other Playground Games developed titles.

Regards,
SB

At the summer showcase they ticked off dynamic time of day, forward+ renderer, nicer trees, 'procedural generation' of track detail and 'on track' ray tracing (which I assume means the car reflections they showed are in game). Hopefully they'll be a little less wooly at this event, but I doubt it!

Just a curiosity.
How is possible that PS5 is already at its third or fourth hardware revision to reduce cost and now it's more available, and the Series X is the same from launch and still completely unfindable even online?
Is an hardware revision / soc respin so expensive that's prohibitive if you aren't predicting to sell a ps-ton of it?

Just a curiosity.
How is possible that PS5 is already at its third or fourth hardware revision to reduce cost and now it's more available, and the Series X is the same from launch and still completely unfindable even online?
Is an hardware revision / soc respin so expensive that's prohibitive if you aren't predicting to sell a ps-ton of it?
The quantity of XSX at retail isn't equivalent to how many SOC's they produce.
Remember they are still building out xcloud and the blades are built on XSX chips.
Maybe they simply don't believe there's a benefit to respins and minor redisigns and updates, especially if it won't allow them to get many more XSX out there.

Back