Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

This would be a bad idea (IMO) unless the intake vents aren't on the bottom. With the fan on top, that would create negative air pressure which would draw in air from every opening (like the optical drive). An intake fan at the bottom ensures all the air going in is from that area creating positive pressure inside. I suppose the biggest advantage of the latter would be if MS bother to put in any sort of dust filter as it would virtually eliminate most dust from getting into the enclosure, whereas with the former (fan on top) it would be almost impossible to prevent dust from getting in.

Regards,
SB
Gamecube, PS2, Xbox 360 (original model), and I'm sure other consoles used a design that creates negative pressure by having only exhaust fans. Gamecube is probably the most similar as it has a direct air flow from one side of the case to the other. 360 pulled air in along the side vents and out the back, PS2 had mostly a long front vent and blew air out the back, but the airflow was less directed. As a person who refurbs consoles for a living, Gamecubes are usually cleaner inside than most other systems. PS4's (original models), despite their recency, are some of the worst. The intake vents are bigger than the width between the heatsink fins, so stuff gets pulled in from the side vents and can't pass through the heatsink, clogging the airflow with a wall of fur. And if it's a smoker's household, or they use a lot of aerosol air fresheners, that fur wall becomes a thick paper mache like blockage.

As long as it's a straight line from intake to exhaust, and the intake is filtered to be at least less granular than the heatsink or exhaust, it will be fine.

Since xex can suspend and resume for multiple games, where do they store these games for resuming?

Is the suspended game sill in the RAM?

My speculation is ...

It's just VM Snapshots, but this time around they allowed for multiples and not just one. Maybe they allow for one per game or maybe limited to the last N slots, where N is some designated number? As long as they have space on the storage system (ssd or hard drive).

If it was just 1, then they could suspend to RAM and as long as it still had power to refresh RAM it was fine. Maybe that's how it was done on the Xbox One generation.

I'm so confused. Isn't dust will still gets inside whether the insides become positive or negative air pressure?

It comes down to how many ways can dust get into an enclosure.

If you have negative pressure then every single opening can draw dust into the enclosure. You basically have to seal every opening or put dust filters on ever single opening (like the slot in an optical drive).

OTOH, if you have positive pressure, then air is being pushed out of every single opening that isn't an intake. Thus if you are trying to keep dust out of an enclosure you only need to ensure that there are dust filters at the active air intakes.

So, if we look at the 2 tower cases that I currently use, an Antec P-180 (negative air pressure) and a Silverstone RV-03 (positive air pressure), the RV-03 has virtually no dust inside after multiple years, while I have to clean the inside of the Antec P-180 about once a year to prevent dust accumulation.

And that is despite the RV-03 having multiple openings compared to the P-180. All of the openings on the RV-03 exhaust air while all of the non-exhaust openings on the P-180 are drawing in air and dust. Since the RV-03 only has air intakes on the bottom of the case, there's also conveniently dust filters over the openings for the intake fans.

Positive pressure PC cases are, unfortunately relatively rare, but if they are well designed then dust isn't really a problem. As long as it has a decent dust filter and you clean the filter regularly.

Regards,
SB

Totally wrong, confusing, difficult to spell name

Phil put out a statement on the GPU alone and the CPU alone, so now we have statements on each part.

"We wanted to have a dramatic upgrade from the Xbox One base console. So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is."

"On the CPU side, which is [something] we really wanted to push relative to previous generations, we have four times the compute power on the CPU in Project Scarlett."​
So 12/13 TF is the magic number... wow impressive...!!! I think is gonna be expensive (the X Series) with a probably much more affordable 6 TF Series S.... sure also RAM amount will be different

Guys, looks like someone managed to sneak into Phil Spencer's home and snap a live picture of the new console!

JBCYYDe.jpg
Bwa ha ha ha...

8 cores/16 threads 3,2-3,5 Ghz Zen 2, 12 TFlops RDNA 2 with RT and VRS, SSD NVMe, 16 GB GDDR6. :love:
No jaguars... but I cannot be disappointed [emoji1]

Last edited by a moderator:
Positive pressure PC cases are, unfortunately relatively rare, but if they are well designed then dust isn't really a problem. As long as it has a decent dust filter and you clean the filter regularly.

Too true. I have a 6 year old Silverstone FT04 with two 180mm intake fans behind a stocking style filter. I opened it up the other month to install a new video card, first time I opened it since installing a second SSD in 2015. It's so clean inside!

I had a coolermaster cosmos case before this one with 2 intake 120mm fans and about 4 exhaust. Horrible for dust. So much dust within months.

Hopefully if the Xbox Series X is negative pressure they can at least seal off the optical drive and usb ports properly.

If you have negative pressure then every single opening can draw dust into the enclosure. You basically have to seal every opening or put dust filters on ever single opening (like the slot in an optical drive).

OTOH, if you have positive pressure, then air is being pushed out of every single opening that isn't an intake. Thus if you are trying to keep dust out of an enclosure you only need to ensure that there are dust filters at the active air intakes.

So, if we look at the 2 tower cases that I currently use, an Antec P-180 (negative air pressure) and a Silverstone RV-03 (positive air pressure), the RV-03 has virtually no dust inside after multiple years, while I have to clean the inside of the Antec P-180 about once a year to prevent dust accumulation.

And that is despite the RV-03 having multiple openings compared to the P-180. All of the openings on the RV-03 exhaust air while all of the non-exhaust openings on the P-180 are drawing in air and dust. Since the RV-03 only has air intakes on the bottom of the case, there's also conveniently dust filters over the openings for the intake fans.

Regards,
SB

Thank you! That explanation was really good!

So nvme afterall :)

Called it!

It just makes too much sense. It's the one part of the machine that you will likely want to upgrade before the lifetime of the console is over. (Because flash falls in price so rapidly that a reasonably priced NVME SSD 2-3 years from now will be massively larger than a reasonably priced one now.)

From the Gamespot exclusive article/interview: "Xbox Series X supposedly runs real quiet too (at least as silently as the Xbox One X), managing to keep itself cool with one fan and additional heatsinks."

Thanks, I knew I read it somewhere.

Regards,
SB
Xbox one, S, and X along with 360 s and e all have spongy gaskets that seal the gaps between the optical drive and the body. One, one x and One s have gaskets around the IO ports (USB, power, ect) as well. The optical drives are fairly sealed up as a unit, so it isn't like a ton of air is getting sucked in through the disc slot, through the drive and into the system. Air would only be able to come in through the a gap between the drive and the shell, which hasn't been an issue on any MS console since the original Xbox. And honestly, that might have had a gasket as well, I almost never tear those down.

Called it!

It just makes too much sense. It's the one part of the machine that you will likely want to upgrade before the lifetime of the console is over. (Because flash falls in price so rapidly that a reasonably priced NVME SSD 2-3 years from now will be massively larger than a reasonably priced one now.)
Being nvme doesn't mean it is upgradable.

Where was it confirmed that it's NVMe?

Hard to see if it's their own supposition or some unquoted info from Phil Spencer. Here's a part of the GameSpot Xbox Series X follow-up article: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-exclusive-details-meet-microsofts-ne/1100-6472190/

It's no secret that both Microsoft and Sony are pursuing next-gen consoles made to offer a near seamless experience, with faster storage and memory, and cloud streaming helping to cut through some of the tedium of downloading, loading, and updating games that we've grown accustomed to. Series X will feature a NVMe SSD and use super-fast GDDR6 memory as RAM. Not only will these components help cut down on the aforementioned gaming pit stops, but they will also help you instantly pick up games from where you left off. Xbox One already does this, but Series X takes it a step farther.

without NVMe; I can't see how you could fully saturate the SSD. Good to see. Curious to see if Sony actually has something else other than just NVMe.

Xbox one, S, and X along with 360 s and e all have spongy gaskets that seal the gaps between the optical drive and the body. One, one x and One s have gaskets around the IO ports (USB, power, ect) as well. The optical drives are fairly sealed up as a unit, so it isn't like a ton of air is getting sucked in through the disc slot, through the drive and into the system. Air would only be able to come in through the a gap between the drive and the shell, which hasn't been an issue on any MS console since the original Xbox. And honestly, that might have had a gasket as well, I almost never tear those down.

And yet all those consoles also had issues with dust. Gaskets will work fine within their limited lifespan. But the lack of dust filters over every single intake vent meant a lot of dust still got into those machines. By the time I got rid of my XBO, there was a noticeable film of dust on the heatsink fins as well dust on the fins of the fan. And that was with relatively little use. My RV-03, despite being on 24/7 for multiple years and despite having WAY more openings had less dust internally or on the fans themselves.

With positive pressure it doesn't matter how many vents you have, you only need to put a dust filter over your active intake. You don't even need to bother putting in gaskets to prevent unwanted air from coming into the enclosure. And if your device is expected to be in use for a long time, you obviously wouldn't have to worry about the lifetime or quality of the gaskets.

Heck, you wouldn't even have to worry that if you had to have your device repaired that the repair place used the correct high quality gaskets and installed them correctly, or at all. If you were to open the enclosure yourself (like I've heard of some people doing this to redo the TIMs on the SOC of their console) then you wouldn't have to worry about making sure the gasket didn't get damaged and that it's correctly in place after you've serviced it.

All of those problems just go away. Well, assuming you have a decent dust filter for the active air intake, if not then the problems with dust are basically the same either way.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
And yet all those consoles also had issues with dust. Gaskets will work fine within their limited lifespan. But the lack of dust filters over every single intake vent meant a lot of dust still got into those machines. By the time I got rid of my XBO, there was a noticeable film of dust on the heatsink fins as well dust on the fins of the fan. And that was with relatively little use. My RV-03, despite being on 24/7 for multiple years and despite having WAY more openings had less dust internally or on the fans themselves.

With positive pressure it doesn't matter how many vents you have, you only need to put a dust filter over your active intake. You don't even need to bother putting in gaskets to prevent unwanted air from coming into the enclosure. And if your device is expected to be in use for a long time, you obviously wouldn't have to worry about the lifetime or quality of the gaskets.

Heck, you wouldn't even have to worry that if you had to have your device repaired that the repair place used the correct high quality gaskets and installed them correctly, or at all. If you were to open the enclosure yourself (like I've heard of some people doing this to redo the TIMs on the SOC of their console) then you wouldn't have to worry about making sure the gasket didn't get damaged and that it's correctly in place after you've serviced it.

All of those problems just go away. Well, assuming you have a decent dust filter for the active air intake, if not then the problems with dust are basically the same either way.

Regards,
SB
Everything console gets dusty because non of them have filters on their inputs. Well, maybe gamecube, but it isn't user replaceable. But Xbox One and One S, along with 360 S and E models are positive pressure, so unless you had an X your example of a dusty Xbox doesn't mean positive pressure is better, only that Xbox needs better filters on it's input. Xbox One gaskets are really durable, almost like a sponge covered in a woven nylon. Not sure exactly what they are made out of but they are really hard to tear, and they have an anti-static feel to them. I've never seen one ripped, but I have seen some people cut the corners off them because they cover screws on the optical drive, even though you can simply fold the corners out of the way temporarily.

As consoles go, I wouldn't say any model of Xbox One has a real problem with dust. I do, however, think that having a giant intake on the top isn't good for liquids, though. I've seen a lot of that. Also, cosmetically, the big vent on the top of One and One s gets dusty, but that's because the slots and tiny holes where the air comes in is filtered again through a grill of holes and it catches the dust.

Xbox One X uses negative pressure and probably has the best cooling solution of this generation. PS4s use negative pressure and the base models were loud and have the most problems with dust. It isn't as simple as saying positive pressure is always better, because there are some poor implementations on both ends. Sony, the company that will re-engineer their controllers a dozen times a generation, hasn't released a console with positive pressure cooling. There has to be some merit to negative pressure that they would be so steadfast in their support of it.

Everything console gets dusty because non of them have filters on their inputs. Well, maybe gamecube, but it isn't user replaceable. But Xbox One and One S, along with 360 S and E models are positive pressure, so unless you had an X your example of a dusty Xbox doesn't mean positive pressure is better, only that Xbox needs better filters on it's input.

Xbox One X uses negative pressure and probably has the best cooling solution of this generation. PS4s use negative pressure and the base models were loud and have the most problems with dust. It isn't as simple as saying positive pressure is always better, because there are some poor implementations on both ends. Sony, the company that will re-engineer their controllers a dozen times a generation, hasn't released a console with positive pressure cooling. There has to be some merit to negative pressure that they would be so steadfast in their support of it.

Hmm... Are you sure you understand what positive and negative pressure means? Xbox One and S has one fan pulling air through the heatsink and exhausting it out from the top. That is a very definition of a negative pressure in the case. Xbox One X and Playstation 4s are more like neutral pressure imo. They have one fan that isn't quite exactly intake or exhaust, but kind of both at the same time. They are probably pretty neutral pressure cases.

Back