Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Phil put out a statement on the GPU alone and the CPU alone, so now we have statements on each part.

"We wanted to have a dramatic upgrade from the Xbox One base console. So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is."

"On the CPU side, which is [something] we really wanted to push relative to previous generations, we have four times the compute power on the CPU in Project Scarlett."​

For Durango: 8x1.31 = 10.48 TFLOPs
For Scorpio: 2x6 = 12 TFLOPs

Assuming we're talking about throughput and not real world performance, we should expect the highest performing SeX to have a 11-12 TFLOPs GPU.

Unless he's taking into account Navi's ~25% better performance-per-tflop than e.g. Polaris, in which case we'd see a <10 TFLOPs GPU. But if that was the case I don't think he'd use the term "if we do the math", as it suggests he's talking about raw numbers.

One S > Series X

1.4TF x "more then 8x" = anywhere from 11.3TF - 12.45TF

X > Series X

6TF x 2 = 12TF

I imagine, all things taken into account, it can land anywhere between 10-12TF. Although going by "we have done the math", I would say it has to be somewhere between 11TF - 12TF. Especially considering the case.

One S > Series X

X > Series X

6TF x 2 = 12TF

I imagine, all things taken into account, it can land anywhere between 10-12TF. Although going by "we have done the math", I would say it has to be somewhere between 11TF - 12TF. Especially considering the case.

The guy on resetera KleeGamefan told the Xbox series X is slightly above 12 Tflops RDNA.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...h-thread-ot7-nm.148625/page-394#post-27352939

How much concern is the myriad of SKU's to contend with going to be for devs? At the end of the day consoles offered developers a set architecture with razor thin overhead on which to craft experiences. That and a consoles "push power to play" advantage make them both visually stunning and easy to set up.

Now they'll have three different SKU's on Xbox, we don't know yet how many they'll be on Sonys side of things, each with special solutions that can and should be coded for, plus the PC space with its billions of hardware combinations. I don't particularly envy developers or testers in that scenario if they strive to actually maximise use of the hardware they're running on.

Regardless if it's relative performance or raw performance.
Whats the cost going to be?
$500, $550?
Guess we always knew it was going to be powerful.

I'm liking the look, think will look even better when placed against other consoles etc, it probably looks a lot bigger than it is in the promo shots. Not watched any of the vids or anything yet though.

Series X sounds ok especially if they EOL the 1X.

Also its not an Xbox one or two, so I think that's a clear indication that they are not in the same family.
So no mandating having to support XO.

Too far ?

O_O

.....or not far enough.

>_>

ಠ_ಠ
4772795__e188297988ce060ed77289f0d306731a.jpg

I think they have too. With the slowdown of process tech, we might not be able to get another generational jump in the typical generation time frame. These new consoles might have to last longer than the current gen. So might as well go all out.

Yup, that's an argument I have used before to defend the idea of very powerful consoles.

It looks like someone at Dell watched Cybertruk's presentation and exclaimed: "It's possible to make something minimalist buuuuut still ugly!"
And what good timing to present your one year distant product! With a minimal effort, you can confuse the market and push away some Christmas' sale.
Anyway... looks like it's designed to dissipate a lot of heat...

Troll-2-2.jpg

No way I can pack that in my backpack when traveling...

Waiting for Xbox Series S

Maybe they can reduce the volume by a 3rd with less cooling and no disc drive? Assume they'll keep the same form factor as that's their signature for this gen.

Or they'll pull a digital edition and just not cut out the drive slot.

Xbox One S is 1.4 TFLOPS
One S > Series X

X > Series X

6TF x 2 = 12TF

I assume what Phil Spencer means with "Base Console" is the 2013 XBox One with a 1.31 TFLOPs GPU, not the faster XBox One S.
"Base Console" means it's what the developers are using as minimum common denominator, and that's not the One S.

Not that it makes a ton of difference, though.

So, do you guys expect Lockhart to be called Xbox Series S?

If MS keeps up with their tradition of impossible to logically follow naming choices, Lockhart will be "Xbox Series X S".

Because marketing will say just S makes it to obvious it is the lesser machine and X S makes it sound like more like a variant rather than a cutdown version. "It tests well with our demo"

And Phil will say something something "All the features of X, in a smaller machine in shape and budget".

And fuck it if consumers get confused when comparing the whole line, or if your company's image is once again made to look more like run by sales people (And Steve can you believe it Ballmer type of used car sales people at that) rather than normal human beings, because marketing obviously did not test for that, because they wouldn't even think to since they themselves are glorified used car salespeople.
/rant

Back