Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

It's presumably a cheaper to have the slower 2GB of memory since it'll only be running the system reserve in that space anyway.
The thing with not having 12GB in a 2*2GB + 2*4GB configuration is that the SeriesS will definitely not be running One X versions of Xbox One games.
BC on the SeriesS will be a very strange thing, or it'll simply be running OneS code with higher framerate and dynamic resolution (but only where the games / game engines allow it to).

Looks ok to me, my concern that I'm sure someone could easily put to rest is the bandwidth of 224GB/s.
At that target resolution, with RT etc, is that high enough or a pain point?
I was hoping for at least three same as the 1X around 330GB/s

Also funny that the most games seen running was on XSS not XSX to date.
I'm hoping they must have some lined up now

4 chips

As per ^^

3x 2GB = 32 bits * 4 chips * 14000 Mhz / 8 bits = 224 GB/s
1x 4GB = 32 bit * 1 chip * 14000 Mhz / 8 bits = 56 GB/s
why not 4x2 GB and 2x1 GB on the back?

Edit: or 1x2GB on the back.

Looks ok to me, my concern that I'm sure someone could easily put to rest is the bandwidth of 224GB/s.

Well, bandwidth is always a "problem". But I guess they try to save as much bandwidth as possible via velocity etc. Just load what you need saves much bandwidth.
But I don't think xbox one x patches work on the new S. More or less we will just play the games in the original xbox one resolution (+ maybe AF). But that is more or less ok. Games don't get better with better graphics ^^ and the lower-end box is not a graphics powerhouse. But Framerates should now be stable because the CPU shouldn't be a bottleneck anymore.

Last edited:
the performance target is my favourite spec there. If they can achieve that, the price of the console is excellent (if I ever have a console again I'd want one cheap that can run games decently)

Xbox All Access information for those who may not read the Game Pass thread or wondering where it's available at:

We’re expanding Xbox All Access this holiday to bring you more ways to jump into this next generation. With Xbox All Access, you can get a next generation Xbox with 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate with no upfront cost, for just $34.99/month for 24 months for Xbox Series X and $24.99/month for 24 months for Xbox Series S. If you are already an Xbox All Access customer, you can take advantage of our flexible upgrade options. We’re expanding Xbox All Access to fans in 12 countries this holiday, expanding to Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Norway, Poland, South Korea and Sweden. For details and supporting retailers and partners visit https://www.xbox.com/xbox-all-access.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/xbox-all-access-expands-to-12-countries-this-holiday/

why not 4x2 GB and 2x1 GB on the back?

Edit: or 1x2GB on the back.
Also possible. Didn’t consider there could be memory chips backside.

they would choose the cheapest route though.
6 chips would have too much bandwidth I think

It’s not targeting 4K. The bandwidth requirement is less

Sampler Feedback Streaming is supposedly giving an average of 2.5X improvement of I/O bandwidth performance and memory utilization beyond raw specs:

Wasn't yours always said to be the case?

Yep, requires less but I don't know how that figure measures up for the target resolution.

The reason I used 1X as a baseline is that the slow section in XSX is faster than that.
I expect bandwidth demands to be higher now, its just whether if this is actually high enough or not.

Last edited:

Will it not run Xbox One X games? If one X was 320 GB/s, unless that bandwidth was not used, ho2 come this one is 224? PS4 was bottlenecked with its 217.6 and it also did not target 4K.

And I´m not shure 224 is garanteed, because that memory configuration still leaves me doubts.

The "buy again" thing for physical media on D/L only consoles seems fairly straightforward and uncontroversial to me? Like the whole point of the trade in via partners only they tried to push before giving up on the online only scheme was they were going to add unique codes to XB1 game discs that tied them to your account and partners could revoke entitlements. The users revolted and now there is nothing to do that on physical media.

Are there really a significant number of physical media collectors who are looking to buy D/L only consoles and expect their collections to come with?

Back