Xbox OutRun 2 Announced

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_616_en.html

wahoo :oops:

216_0002.jpg

Qroach said:
It probably still is...

Then why not announce it alongside the Xbox version?

Edit: I responded before I saw the screenshot. Looking at it, it doesn´t look all that great, I´m sure the PS2 could reproduce that...so I don´t think technical issues would make it not get to it.

Oh, and I hope Lazy doesn´t respond to this with his "mayor graphics paradigms that just happen to be with games made by Sega". :p

Qroach:
scrambling? what do you mean? I didn't think MS had much to do with them bringing this port over...
They did. MS Japan most specifically. SEGA was still considering a different set of options up until a surprisingly recent juncture. MS Japan is pursuing several Japanese third-party titles (all the better with Live support) like SpikeOut, Out Run, and Virtua Cop 3.

It's good that it's making it home to Xbox foremost. Other systems wouldn't be a bad idea either.

One of the things that makes this game technically stand out are the draw distances that let you see out a country mile:
screen06.jpg

MS didn't do that much prying to get the game. It was already developed on Xbox hardware so it was more of a simple port that would allow the game on the home. Of course there will be added extras.

The Ps2 will not be able to reproduce the arcade version faithfully. I'm afraid such a port will be like VF2 on Saturn compared to VF2 on Model 2.

Sonic, I agree, the PS2 would not be able to reproduce the Chihiro / Xbox based OutRun 2, exactly. Although I don't believe it would be quite as bad as Saturn racers compared to the Model 2 versions.

OutRun 2 textures would suffer, but geometry and framerate could probably be similar on PS2. It's not like PS2 isnt capable of true polygon graphics, as Saturn wasn't.

though I *am* very pleased OutRun 2 will be ported to native hardware since Chihiro and Xbox are dentical. moreso than even NAOMI to DC. Chihiro has the same amount of RAM as Xbox, unlike NAOMI which has more memory than DC.

Well, Saturn VF2 compared better to its arcade counterpart than PS2 VF4 did to the arcade, for example. Ever see the character model comparisons between the Saturn version and the Model 2 version? Anyway, Saturn polygons mathmatically represented 3D no worse than PS's - neither used much in the way of z-buffering or perspective correction.

Megadrive1988 said:
though I *am* very pleased OutRun 2 will be ported to native hardware since Chihiro and Xbox are dentical. moreso than even NAOMI to DC. Chihiro has the same amount of RAM as Xbox, unlike NAOMI which has more memory than DC.

IIRC, chihiro boost 128Mb RAM... gotta see if I can get that confirmed.

And the comment Qroach made that OutRun2 will probably come to PS2, we´ll just have to see about that. The term "exclusivity" has changed during this generation.. now it could mean "time, console, graphics" etc..

The Ps2 will not be able to reproduce the arcade version faithfully. I'm afraid such a port will be like VF2 on Saturn compared to VF2 on Model 2.

that doesn't sound so bad really :)

Still I'm expecting draw distance to be hammered if there turns out to be an PS2 port.

Unless MS will co-market this title for Xbox with SEGA, I'd like to see it spread to the other consoles. However, this one does appear to be Xbox exclusive, so MS better at least be giving some decent royalty fee reductions for such an Xclusive.

Why will this game rock again? (besides the fact that its a SEGA game AND a revived old franchise, which doesn't necessarily mean anyhting)

It looks like a DX8 version of Cruising USA heh.

It's really fast with smooth controls for drifting - long, exaggerated drifts - so you're able to drive the branching courses at a breakneck speed.

zurich said:
Why will this game rock again? (besides the fact that its a SEGA game AND a revived old franchise, which doesn't necessarily mean anyhting)

It looks like a DX8 version of Cruising USA heh.

Because it's OUTRUN. :) Cruising USA was a OUTRUN clone. all of us that lived the 8-bit decade (oh those were the times... back then machines were simplier, but games were about 10 times more innovative.), definately recognizes The OutRun. it was definetely one of best sellers on it's time.

What makes the original OutRun such a classic? it's very hard to tell... gameplay wasn't the best, graphics were pretty simply (even on that time scale.), but the sence of speed was pretty good. (plus, you had Ferrari and a girl on next to you (though she wasn't really happy on rollovers at 200kph.) and you could actually select radio channel before start. :) and Music was pretty good actually. (made by Martin Gallway on Commodore 64 version.)

Lazy8s said:
Unless MS will co-market this title for Xbox with SEGA, I'd like to see it spread to the other consoles. However, this one does appear to be Xbox exclusive, so MS better at least be giving some decent royalty fee reductions for such an Xclusive.

Sony & Sega are bringing Outrun 2 exclusively to PS2

Was this ever official? Judging by Sonic's response, I thought it was, however, I think Sega may have come to their senses that this title should not be exclusive on PS2 when it's already developed on Xbox hardware.

Back