XBox One Backwards Compatibility and Xbox One X Enhancements for X360 and OG (XO XOX BC)

Might as well. Seems like everything is going to be BC going forward so might as well include games from the only other console Microsoft had.

I'm on my 2nd play through right now. I'm almost into Mexico. 1st play through was on 360 & I finished that over 6 years ago. BTW are you sure you finished finished? There is one mission left that a lot of people forget to do. ;)

Tommy McClain

a rare moment where I actually own a BC disc for a game I don't believe I finished.

whoa.
I hope they improved the framerate in the bc version, because that game was incredible, but ran really bad sometimes.

Interesting. HL2 now exists across almost the entire Xbox ecosystem.
-Native version on Xbox 1
-Xbox 1 version emulated on Xbox 360.
-Native version on Xbox 360.
-Xbox 360 version emulated on Xbox One.

Now we need both a native port and the Xbox 1 version emulated on the Xbox One. :)
Tested HL 2 yesterday. Runs good.
But I'm missing HL1 ^^

the size of the game is also interesting, all those games in this box and only 5GB in size. If I watch on current gen games, heck, even the simple looking plants vs zombies modern warfare (which is a really small game) has a size of 17GB. I really think developers no longer optimize for size ... even though, the harddisks are really slow and we might get really quicker loading times if they would optimize a bit more.

Tested HL 2 yesterday. Runs good.
But I'm missing HL1 ^^

the size of the game is also interesting, all those games in this box and only 5GB in size. If I watch on current gen games, heck, even the simple looking plants vs zombies modern warfare (which is a really small game) has a size of 17GB. I really think developers no longer optimize for size ... even though, the harddisks are really slow and we might get really quicker loading times if they would optimize a bit more.
Storage is like highways. Give people wider streets, and they'll just buy more cars and drive more. It never alleviates traffic. It actually increases it. Give developers more storage and they'll use it irresponsibly. Even though loading times, streaming, and digital download times would all benefit from a bit more care put into that area.

Storage is like highways. Give people wider streets, and they'll just buy more cars and drive more. It never alleviates traffic. It actually increases it.
And what do people do with that driving? Go to places and do stuff! If the roads were all replaced with single lanes, everyone would have to sit at home because there wouldn't be the means to get around.

So yes, give devs more storage and more BW and more everything, and they'll use it and do more with it. If part of that 'doing more' is saving on development by not having to devise ways to pack pint bottles into half-pint pots and investing those savings in creating the game and content, it's a net win.

The question is what's causing the bloat and is it a negative? Spurious analogies don't answer that. :p One of the most interesting comparisons IMO is remakes of ancient titles. Games that used to fit on a megabit cart taking up many megabytes. I remember mentioning that back in the earliest days of PS360 downloads. I'd very much like to know the anatomy of a package and why they can be so large compared to the same game on other platforms requiring less 'bloat'.

And what do people do with that driving? Go to places and do stuff! If the roads were all replaced with single lanes, everyone would have to sit at home because there wouldn't be the means to get around.

This is very off-topic, but I think you are unaware of the most recent research and accepted knowledge regarding urban planing.
A lot of research concluded, as unintuetively as this may initally sound, that the easier you make for people to drive around, the more unreasonable their use of cars become. People opt to drive places they could perfectly walk to. Public transportation goes unused. Multiple spacious 5 seat cars per household being used by single members most of the time. People buying SUVs when they really have no use for it. People chose to do things much farther from where they live or work when there were options under walking distance...
Many european cities greatly improved their traffic by actually REDUCING the lanes avaliable to cars, and making bicycle-lanes, city-bus-only lanes and walk-only streets. Unfortunately drivers had to be made to suffer a bit to re-think their habits and lifestyle choices, and many, after a few years would not want to go back to the way things were before.

I've read a lot on the topic, by the influence of some architect friends of mine who are into urban planning, but here is a nice introductory article on the topic:

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

That's looking at inner city travel. I was thinking more extra urban transport. Reducing lanes on the motorways won't help people make better life choices by choosing to cycle 300 miles to their holiday destination or getting a bus followed by a train followed a bus to see their friend in hospital in 30 minutes. So yeah, you're right, but I am too. :p

So with that said, I think similar things happen with software and games.
More storage allows some devs to do great things, but that same liberty allows many others to simply to what devs do best: be Lazy.
For exemple: Storage was a point of concern in every uncharted game during the ps3 era. Then comes the Uncharted ND collection on ps4 and mad all three games fit in a single disk with enhanced assets and all FMVs upped from 720p30 to 1080p60. All they did was take the time to optmize their video compression.
It's certainly great to give devs options, but its also healthy tk make them suffer a bit and force them to rethink their habits now and again.

Back