XBox One Backwards Compatibility and Xbox One X Enhancements for X360 and OG (XO XOX BC)

Damn, all these BC games getting good treatment on the XBO-X is definitely tempting. Only bad thing is, I've now got a fiancé that equates gaming to using drugs. :p

Regards,
SB

I have spent most of my time with the x playing gears 3 , a freakin 360 game. I always found the game way too ambitious for the 360 , I believe it had a new lighting model for ue3 games that was quite demanding thus hurting its iq (the 360 version had worse iq than gears 2) . Now it looks jaw dropping, haven’t been this impressed even playing old games on my pc , though truth be told I don’t connect my laptop (equipped with a GeForce 1060 so sufficient to play older games at high resolutions) to my 4k tv so that plays a huge role too. I loved the gears 3 campaign so much so it is a treat for me. Halo3 looks insane too, I guess even more so with hdr, but I will wait for the mcc patch to replay it. Can’t wait for more enhanced 360 games to arrive.

and it isn't just the resolution bump. with 16 af you can now see some artwork for the first time. the poor texture filtering of the ps360 gen was always my pet peeve, so this getting fixed is exciting.
albert penello mentioned that for hdr they 'skip' the tonemapping (?) step in the pipeline for these 4k 360 games and use the rgb10 as output. so i guess they still have to convert the rgb10 floating point format from the 360 to the rec 2100 standard, which is a integer format if i understand this correctly. well, in the end the opening sequence of halo3 alone looks very impressive now

Just tried Assassins Creed on my XB1X yesterday, and could not stop playing it :)
The 4k treatment makes really a big difference in this game (graphically). But the controls didn't age so well.
I really hope e.g. Ubisoft and EA create some patches for other games like the MS team did with halo 3. There are so many gems on xb360, that could need a treatment like this.

I've played Kotor for the past two nights on my XB1. There be bugs.

Something weird happened when I went to Tattoine the second time; My T3M4 unit became another Zaalbar in the party selection screen.

Even weirder, whenever I hyperspace to another planet, two more Zaalbars pop up in the center deck of the Ebon Hawk. I'm now up to 13 Wookies !!

Good thing I like furry stuff.

It runs much better than either the original XB or X360. On the older consoles the game would sometimes turn into a slide show.

Cheers

I've played Kotor for the past two nights on my XB1. There be bugs.

Something weird happened when I went to Tattoine the second time; My T3M4 unit became another Zaalbar in the party selection screen.

Even weirder, whenever I hyperspace to another planet, two more Zaalbars pop up in the center deck of the Ebon Hawk. I'm now up to 13 Wookies !!

Good thing I like furry stuff.

It runs much better than either the original XB or X360. On the older consoles the game would sometimes turn into a slide show.

Cheers
KotoR was always a very buggy game. Community-patches on the PC version fixed many of those issues, but the console versions never got that treatment.

What I also like about the BC feature, you only need the DISC as verification. It is irrelevant if it got scratches (at least if they aren't so severe).

KotoR was always a very buggy game. Community-patches on the PC version fixed many of those issues, but the console versions never got that treatment.

I played a lot of Kotor back in the day on my original Xbox, and never encountered any problems like this one.

Cheers

The last level of gears 3 , the island, after sunshine comes (don’t know how else to express it) looks like a legit this-gen game. The lighting, the crispness of the textures (with the bright sun helping them to pop out more) . Then you enter the hotel and damn at the textures, I move Marcus close to the surfaces just to observe the texture quality of freakin xbox360 game !!!

I really hope ms continues to enhance xbox360 games.....

I'm crossing my fingers for gears 2 support as well. In some ways it looked better than 3 (not textures and lighting obviously)

Playing it the same way those ultra super sampled press shots looked :)

Was scratching my head about how he sync'ed all 3 consoles exactly, but then realized it's probably theatre mode. When MCC is patched, the comparison should be interesting.

albert penello mentioned that for hdr they 'skip' the tonemapping (?) step in the pipeline for these 4k 360 games and use the rgb10 as output.

link?

Last edited:

zelda?

Oh sorry, thought this was like the Wrex / Sheppard automatic response reflex. :oops:

If it's anywhere, it's likely in a Tweet or a video interview with Panello.

was on resetera https://www.resetera.com/threads/tu...x-vs-xbox-360-4k-love.4468/page-2#post-707210
My tweet meant that the game inherently has to have some features in it that make this kind of upgrade possible. We do not touch game code. What we CAN do with the emulator is fool the game code into thinking the console has different capabilities, essentially. So games that were authored in 10-bit color for instance, it was the 360 GPU that did the final pass conversion to display 8-bit color, and we eliminate that pass. For textures, if the engine was changing the textures used based on GPU load, they can fool the system into allowing the X1X GPU to render higher quality textures further into the distance.

Also - the games are not HDR per-se. In order for TV's to display the 10-bit colors they need to be in HDR mode, hence why you see the HDR prompt on these games. The wider color palette, combined with the inherent brightness of HDR displays, sort of gives the impression of HDR but they are not.
but take it with a grain of salt. this is coming from the guy who is very proud of the xbox x power cord (i shit you not, was in one of ign launch interviews i believe) and look what is failing in some scorpio models ;)

Sounds highly likely. Tone mapping of FP10 (or should that be RGB resolve rather than tone mapping?) happened via the system (hence the shonky gamma curve on 360) so that part of the rendering can be replaced.

There were several additions over the past month to the X360 BC list, so it's nice to know MS continues to add to the software capabilities.

DigitalFoundry has a video on "How Does Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility on Xbox One Actually Work?". No article yet.

DF's written article is now up. It's a good read. Some snippets included below...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...x-one-x-back-compat-how-does-it-actually-work

"Basically, we have a VGPU - or an Xbox 360 GPU that we've recompiled into x86 - and we run the entire 360 OS stack," explains Bill Stillwell, Xbox Platform Lead. "We take each game, we recompile it so that it runs, but basically we're running it still in a 360, and the team goes through the game with multiple passes."

In the first pass, the team collects GPU shaders, and what Stillwell describes as 'Enlightenments', a term we hadn't come across before. "Enlightenments are our starting point for making game transcompilation better," he says. "This is more a CPU requirement than a GPU one. Enlightenments tell us what instructions wrote to hardware, function entry points, and so on. Basically, the set of information we need to know upfront when we first build."

It's not an easy task because fundamentally, the Xbox 360's PowerPC processor is worlds apart from Xbox One's x86 foundation. Floating point calculations need to be adapted from 40-bit to 32-bit, with potential implications for aspects like collision detection, but Microsoft's aim here is clear - to be able to host game code on their virtualised Xbox 360 and for it to run as close as possible to original hardware.

"What we found was it's not just the threads, the different cores. In fact, the Xbox One has a thread scheduler - it's similar to Windows in that it apportions based on need whereas the 360 was locked, it was very consistent," Stillwell explains. "And what we found happening was that when we used the Xbox One thread scheduler, we had a whole bunch of issues occur, so we actually rewrote our own thread scheduler... Whenever you boot up that emulator layer so that that logo pops up for the 360, we're taking over thread scheduling from the Xbox One and locking it down to the 360 timing, so that we don't have to deal with the translation across the two or worry about thread management in the Xbox One directly."

There is some hardware assistance and - yes - some 'secret sauce' (Microsoft didn't want to be drawn on how the emulator supports Xbox 360's VMX128 vector units, for example), but the team is now at the point now where everything an Xbox 360 can do, its emulator can mirror in software.

I don't know how I passed over this initial nice tidbit ...

"Because this list is curated and we go through and test every game, the other thing that we have found is that some games will get a visual bump that keeps them at parity with how they play on the [Xbox One] S. Other games, if you didn't do the enhancement, would get a performance bump that would exceed what they've done on the S, so we are going to build into the next round - and we'll retrofit it to the old ones - the ability to turn the visual enhancements off and rely on only the hardware improvements and then allow performance to be maximised at what the game's original resolution was."

Back