Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be pretty surprised if Lockhart was below $299USD. You ain't getting an upgraded One X...for less than the One X.

I'd be pretty surprised in Lockhart was below $299USD. You ain't getting an upgraded One X...for less than the One X.

Which is currently $299 with Game. I think the price is that low on OneX to clear the channel inventory. It's hard to see how the sum of the parts of next-gen would be sold for less than the sum of the parts of current-gen.

I understand the loss a little now earn a lot later strategy, but the gospel says that ms can lose any amount of money just because they don't care.
There's a limit to sustainable loss.
If you go too low you pick up people that have no money or interest for a subscription.
You can do it not to earn but to avoid that your competitor will earn tho.
The only downside is that you must exercise a lot to be able to outrun your murderous shareholders.

Which is currently $299 with Game. I think the price is that low on OneX to clear the channel inventory. It's hard to see how the sum of the parts of next-gen would be sold for less than the sum of the parts of current-gen.

Right, a $350 Lockhart is even possible imo.

Well, old chips dont cost reduce well. Doing some clean sheet design with cost at the forefront, plus simply modern chips vs old, could yield something much more cost efficient.

That said I'm #1 lockhart hater and this is why. Very unlikely you get enough meaningful price separation to make it compelling, ESPECIALLY if lets say DE PS5 is 449 or less, and after one whole year when XSX/PS5 will probably go to 399. Then it becomes almost impossible.

It seems I'm hearing Lockhart could be more of a cloud solution. This would suggest to me the launch time frame might be a lot more open ended. Could launch in November, or next February, or next Nov etc.

I also think that's a terrible idea. Having played Stadia, I'm now convinced cloud latency just isn't there for me, I have little further interest. Plus, I dont think a $300 cost of entry to cloud game stacks up to no upfront fee and 9.99/month at worst with Stadia. I suppose the idea may be you can local game with your 4TF, and also mostly cloud game, or something? I dont even know.

If it's true LH is (mostly?) a cloud solution, I'd say MS execs are just flailing about without a clue with that one. They probably love the idea of netflix, without really thinking if it fits in this space.

Anyways, we were supposed to get a Lockhart reveal in June. Where are even any firm rumors if it? It's the 17th and counting. I dont think they can not be manufacturing it soon if not already if it's releasing with xsx, which you presume would mean leaks.

Well, old chips dont cost reduce well. Doing some clean sheet design with cost at the forefront, plus simply modern chips vs old, could yield something much more cost efficient.

That said I'm #1 lockhart hater and this is why. Very unlikely you get enough meaningful price separation to make it compelling, ESPECIALLY if lets say DE PS5 is 449 or less, and after one whole year when XSX/PS5 will probably go to 399. Then it becomes almost impossible.

It seems I'm hearing Lockhart could be more of a cloud solution. This would suggest to me the launch time frame might be a lot more open ended. Could launch in November, or next February, or next Nov etc.

I also think that's a terrible idea. Having played Stadia, I'm now convinced cloud latency just isn't there for me, I have little further interest. Plus, I dont think a $300 cost of entry to cloud game stacks up to no upfront fee and 9.99/month at worst with Stadia. I suppose the idea may be you can local game with your 4TF, and also mostly cloud game, or something? I dont even know.

If it's true LH is (mostly?) a cloud solution, I'd say MS execs are just flailing about without a clue with that one. They probably love the idea of netflix, without really thinking if it fits in this space.

Anyways, we were supposed to get a Lockhart reveal in June. Where are even any firm rumors if it? It's the 17th and counting. I dont think they can not be manufacturing it soon if not already if it's releasing with xsx, which you presume would mean leaks.

The LH hate is odd to me. Should Apple only make a halo iPhone ? Nvidia a halo GeForce ? Mercedes only make the most expensive model ? Obviously with a $500 product range there is less space to have multiple models. However you can still have 2. I think this generation proved it. The ps4 pro was the halo product that sold to the higher end of the market. MS is just having that from close to the start ( I still believe based off what its an early 2021 product)

Also a lot of people have said why would a ps5 be $500 and $600 when the ps3 was that price and did the worse out of all their consoles.

Why would MS target a $500 price point for XSX when the xbox one was that price and cost them a ton of market share ?

Why would MS target a $500 price point for XSX when the xbox one was that price and cost them a ton of market share ?
It's not going to get better I think. That July games reveal better be outstanding if the Xbox is to claw back and new shares.

Hype for the PS5 is through the roof at this point in time.

It's not going to get better I think. That July games reveal better be outstanding if the Xbox is to claw back and new shares.

Hype for the PS5 is through the roof at this point in time.

Is it ? Easy to be excited when you don't know pricing and you don't actually have dates on the majority of the games shown.

Just wait till July.

Seriously a 400 USD XSX would be bonkers. I was thinking of doing some big PC change because of the RT and 32:9 Peen (have a 1080Ti w/ 8700k)...
But at that price? I'd just hold that PC upgrade(/sell off and buy a new PC off) and go for a XSX, Halo: Infinite, Forza etc for two-ish years would hold me off (and could give it to my parents as a present for their current 4K TV eventually). I think maybe MS will go 450 USD but 400 shows MS going all in. Damn change from the Don Mattrick days.

Seriously a 400 USD XSX would be bonkers. I was thinking of doing some big PC change because of the RT and 32:9 Peen (have a 1080Ti w/ 8700k)...
But at that price? I'd just hold that PC upgrade(/sell off and buy a new PC off) and go for a XSX, Halo: Infinite, Forza etc for two-ish years would hold me off (and could give it to my parents as a present for their current 4K TV eventually). I think maybe MS will go 450 USD but 400 shows MS going all in. Damn change from the Don Mattrick days.
Unless your a vr fan... then next year you'll be wishing you had a powerful pc

*Ahem* Let's get this discussion back on track about Lockhart. Save the console pricing discussion for the How To Sell Next-Gen thread or such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back