Xbox Live confirmed for Windows 8

patsu

Legend
http://majornelson.com/2011/09/13/xbox-live-and-windows-8/

We are confirming that we will be bringing Xbox LIVE to the PC with Xbox LIVE on Windows. We are very excited about Xbox LIVE coming to Windows 8. Xbox LIVE brings your games, music, movies, and TV shows to your favorite Microsoft and Windows devices. Bringing Xbox LIVE to Windows 8 is part of our vision to bring you all the entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about, made easy. At BUILD we are showing that it is easy for developers to create games for Windows 8 that take advantage of the power of Xbox LIVE. We have much more detail to share about the capabilities of Xbox LIVE on Windows and look forward to the opportunity to do so in the near future.

6145555558_86641b8aba.jpg

While this is a Windows 8 news, it will most certainly impact XBL for 360 in a big way.

Ties into the other points we have been discussing, and at least for Microsoft in this regard, we can say: smart. This is the path these guys should be pursuing, and I hope that Sony really pushes to unify their PSN/Music/Video store platforms into something seamless and modular across platforms. Not every device needs to have access to everything, but every device should draw from the same basic framework.

Yap, they (Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony) all are heading that way in a big collision. Sony looks to be the only one without a common/consolidated user experience. ^_^

I dont get what the big benefit is.

You cant play your 360 games on PC, so anything gaming related is useless. So, it's so you can rent Zune movies (sure there are better choices on PC)? Watch the Kinect Show? (Bridget O'Neil is cute btw ;) ).

I guess you cam message XBL friends too. I hardly online game so not useful to me.

I mean it's cool, I guess. Just seems weird.

At the very least, you should be able to stream games and other media to the 360, and enjoy PC visuals.

:facepalm: It looks like gamers are rather negative in their outlook. :LOL:

Yeah some people's comments seem to convey the weird notion that MS is forcing this down their throats...:LOL:

I guess these same people are afraid of Internet Explorerer being included with Windows 8 too...:LOL:

You cant play your 360 games on PC, so anything gaming related is useless.
I wouldn't be surprised if (some) of the XBLA games can be played. I believe these are mostly written in managed languages and don't really use all that low-level access to HW so running them on a PC wouldn't be much of a problem.

I dont get what the big benefit is..

Unified Music and Video platform.. and with a x86 720 console maybe a way easier way to have XBOX games on the PC?

Excellent move by Microsoft.. now if the suckers would just not screw it up and take note from Zune´s software in regards to interface. And now we need some Hardware to support Music Streaming so that Air Play can some competition.

If this ran XNA indie titles it'd be awesome. As it is, it's another competing platform to do my head in! :p At least they are making software progress, though are they still as US-centric in their content as they have been? If Win 8 doesn't serve media to other countries, it'll lose a hell of a lot of its market.

I smell anti-trust lawsuit if they go through with this.

And I hope someone does. Selling an OS with a bundled marketplace like this really is monopolistic behavior.

And I hope someone does. Selling an OS with a bundled marketplace like this really is monopolistic behavior.

Hungry? Maybe an Apple will help or have a taste of Android desserts

You're kidding, right?

Desktop MacOS Lion has it, Symbian has it, Android, iOS, WP7, Bada, Blackberry..

It's more like the desktop version of Windows is the only mass market consumer OS shipping without its own marketplace.

It could be problematic if MS doesn't allow other SW producers sell their stuff there. As long as it's allowed it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Who knows, maybe people in windows-world will finally get the benefit of a decent "package manager" *nix users have had for years :)

You're kidding, right?
I read it as he was being sarcastic. Although perhaps there's a differentiator in the eyes of the Competition Police between a device like an iPod with Apple's store built in, and an OS shipping on other people's hardware? I don't see the problem myself as long as other services can be added to Windows. I guess MS were critically considered because of their nigh absolute monopoly of PC OSes, whereas in the mobile space there's plenty of competition so you can always choose not to buy an iPod is you don't want to be locked into iTunes.

I dont get what the big benefit is.

You cant play your 360 games on PC, so anything gaming related is useless. So, it's so you can rent Zune movies (sure there are better choices on PC)? Watch the Kinect Show? (Bridget O'Neil is cute btw ;) ).

I guess you cam message XBL friends too. I hardly online game so not useful to me.

I mean it's cool, I guess. Just seems weird.

You are focusing on the current hardware think forward. Besides you can already rent, purchase, stream and download tv and movies from Zune and you can already message/chat/video chat with Live friends using Messenger.

You're kidding, right?

Desktop MacOS Lion has it, Symbian has it, Android, iOS, WP7, Bada, Blackberry..

It's more like the desktop version of Windows is the only mass market consumer OS shipping without its own marketplace.

He's talking about the Windows monopoly. Microsoft may need to be careful when it tries to exploit it's clout in the Windows world. ^_^

Back