Xbox Live changes coming?

Every successful network services need on-going changes to keep the experience fresh and also fix existing issues (e.g., scalability). Both XBL and PSN will surely improve over time.

oh there's no doubt.

We are looking for a passionate Games Producer to help implement our first generation games that will run in this new environment.

Does sound like more than an evolution of the existing format.

To fix large scale issues, it is not uncommon to revamp the backend even if the UI stays the same. eBay went through a few rounds as its user base grow.

On top of that, the operators usually need to add new services, UI and extensions to stay competitive or expand their business. Since John Schappert is keynoting in GDC 2008, I'd imagine he's going to show us the next XBL lap there.

No one has really delivered on C2C commerce yet, and then there's Game 3.0 to counter, plus clan management, better Internet integration and tighter integration with other MS services and products. A few people have mentioned that XBL (current version) is not the only way to do online gaming and digital downloads.

Above these technical changes, what would be more interesting is the end user value (i.e., What "package" and economic benefits, if any, will people get on the new XBL)

Last edited by a moderator:
A Gaffer has said
I dunno if this has been posted in this topic, but the next-gen story notes that the job entry is posted on GamesOnDeck.

Gamesondeck is a publication devoted to the mobile (cell phone) games business. MS has been developing Live for mobile phones for over a year, now. They even showed it off at their E3 keynote. So... this job hiring likely relates to that, not anything more exciting.

It's been ages since Live for mobiles has been discussed... probably due to a lack of caring by nearly eveyone ;)

darn here I was hoping they'd finally come to their senses and were going to make the service free.

darn here I was hoping they'd finally come to their senses and were going to make the service free.

They have 10 million paying customers, any reason they would want to give up that revenue stream? I'd rather it were free myself, but the way you 'said come to their senses' suggests that MS is insane for making $40million a year off of the service.

They are the only ones that are charging for something everyone else has for free. For many people like me that love gaming online and grudgingly pay for Gold this hangs over our heads. Them making it free would sure go a long way towards customer satisfaction.

They have 10 million paying customers, any reason they would want to give up that revenue stream? I'd rather it were free myself, but the way you 'said come to their senses' suggests that MS is insane for making $40million a year off of the service.

You mean $400 million. :)

They are the only ones that are charging for something everyone else has for free. For many people like me that love gaming online and grudgingly pay for Gold this hangs over our heads. Them making it free would sure go a long way towards customer satisfaction.
As long as you're willing to pay, and people are buying XB360s over consoles with free services, that shows Live! is deemed fair value and MS can rake in the profits. If it doesn't impact market-share, why would a company choose to change the way do things? It's not like all the people using Live! have decided it's not worth the money and cancelled their subscription...

I will/do gladly play for the functionality Live! gives me over my free PSN counterpart. The $49.99 a year it costs me is worth it alone for 2 features:

- Being able to chat with a friend while we are playing different games
- Being able to stay chatting while launching/playing games

Like Alpha said, as long as there are as many subscribing customers to the service, no shot of it going free!

Back