Xbox Elite 2 Controller opinions *spawn*

wco81

Legend
Phil Spencer took home a Scarlett prototype and is apparently playing X1 games on it, using the $180 controller — what a colossally stupid price.

The Elite 2 controller includes the play-and-charge kit (built in), so the price is very much in line with the Elite series and add-on.

Yeah, massively overpriced.

After using the Elite controller, every other controller on the market just feels cheap and not so good.

So, for me, until there's actual competition for it, it is neither overpriced nor underpriced. I won't be getting the Elite 2 since it has a built in battery, but considering it has a built in battery the price premium over the original Elite seems justified.

Granted not everyone can afford a good controller or is willing to pay for one, so it's certainly a luxury. But considering it's a once time cost, it's worth it. Heck, I spent more for the mouse I'm currently using with my PC because of the convenience and quality (wireless charging while in use is phenomenal for a wireless mouse).

Regards,
SB

If you haven't used it, you can't have an honest opinion about it.

I've spent $40 on great controllers that include rechargeable batteries. That's enough to conclude them adding the retail price of their greedy battery upgrade to their already incredibly expensive controller is the definition of "overpriced".

You can't have an honest opinion until you use it. That's what people say for games and the same applies to hardware.

You only think they are great because you haven't used the elite controller.

Actually, the normal controller quality is atrocious these days that the Elite feels like a revelation. I'm on my 2nd Elite now and don't even use the extra features. When my 1st Elite broke I used the X1X controller the first time and I couldn't even stand that POS for a day. It's that bad haptic/feedback wise.

IMHO the normal gamepads are intentionally designed badly and both normal and elite suffer from an obsolescence design just with different timeframes.

The original and 360 gamepads had far better build quality than the normal X1 controllers.

I can't stand the X360 controllers at all now. I've had every single X360 controllers break with stick drift around the 2 to 3 year mark. Never had that happen on XO controllers.

I've been fortunate on the XO Elite, everything is working just as great now as day one many years ago. I even picked it up at a "bargain" around the $110 mark.

Actually, the normal controller quality is atrocious these days that the Elite feels like a revelation. I'm on my 2nd Elite now and don't even use the extra features. When my 1st Elite broke I used the X1X controller the first time and I couldn't even stand that POS for a day. It's that bad haptic/feedback wise.

IMHO the normal gamepads are intentionally designed badly and both normal and elite suffer from an obsolescence design just with different timeframes.

The original and 360 gamepads had far better build quality than the normal X1 controllers.

That's the other thing, these $60 controllers are crappy in build quality, not durable at all.

So because of shoddy product quality, they expect you to pay 3X to get a good controller?

I and my friends must be lucky as our launch controllers are still going strong. Granted, we treat them well (don't throw them around like I've seen some do) and we make the young children play with normal controllers. :devilish:

I wonder if you just got unlucky with your first one and got one with a slightly defective part (enough to get released but flawed enough to not last a long time).

Regards,
SB

I and my friends must be lucky as our launch controllers are still going strong. Granted, we treat them well (don't throw them around like I've seen some do) and we make the young children play with normal controllers. :devilish:

I wonder if you just got unlucky with your first one and got one with a slightly defective part (enough to get released but flawed enough to not last a long time).

Regards,
SB

I don't throw them or drop them either. If you play Destiny daily, including PvP with its higher stress level, it affects the controller. If you play tactical/racing games where your stress level doesn't translate to the gamepad they might hold longer.

the reddit xbox group is full of people which experienced broken controllers. For elites it's usually the gummy skin extending after a year due heat/sweat and the glue loosing its effectiveness. Another general break point are the shoulder buttons.

For elites it's usually the gummy skin extending after a year due heat/sweat and the glue loosing its effectiveness. Another general break point are the shoulder buttons.

Both of which were enhanced on the Elite 2 series.

However, some Elite 2's had initial launch issues with the typical control buttons A/B/X/Y where one of them was sticking.

Back