Xbox 360 top selling console in UK in 2006

Success at last for 360 in UK

With a fresh supply of hardware, Microsoft scored its first all formats number one as Dead Or Alive 4 on Xbox 360 hit the top spot after its first weekend at UK retail. 360 hardware sales were up 100 per cent over the last two weeks, making Microsoft’s console the second biggest-seller of 2006 after PSP.

Link

UK loving the X360. Great job MS. Does anybody else having the total number of units that MS has sold in the UK?

I'm confused where have these consoles come from?

I still haven't been able to find one in my local shops. :cry:

GB123 said:
I'm confused where have these consoles come from?

I still haven't been able to find one in my local shops.

I don't know but more X360's are selling than PS2s so somebody is buying them.

gb123 - i got one from my local currys 2 - 3 weeks back, they said they had plenty, both core & premium. maybe try ringing round a bit?

Further down the page:

NextGen said:
Square throws down Euro gauntlet

Square Enix Europe this week revealed a bold target of becoming a top five publisher in the territory within two to three years. With its first self-published title, Dragon Quest, due in April, President and CEO John Yamamoto revealed further expansion was on the cards, commenting: “France is the next most important territory for us after the UK; Spain and Germany are also strong markets.”

I wonder if hardware success in the UK could lead to more support from Square, given their strategic goals stated here.

Mmmkay said:
Err, don't you mean second top selling console? ;)

Some people don't consider handhelds as consoles. Hardware overall though, it's second place this year so far.

Bobbler said:
Some people don't consider handhelds as consoles. Hardware overall though, it's second place this year so far.

Oh I know, it was just a tongue in cheek jab for the contingent of people who view the PSP more as an adopted console due to its library of PS2 and PS1 ports.

Bobbler said:
Have you a link to conosle sales? Every once in a while we get Japanese figures down to the unit, but EU and US figures are few and far between.

Are people (in the EU) still having trouble finding xbox 360s? Today I saw nine on a store's floor (the HDD/Premium variety).

Shifty Geezer said:
Have you a link to conosle sales? Every once in a while we get Japanese figures down to the unit, but EU and US figures are few and far between.

No numbers, just going by the article. UK numbers usually show up (more rarely Spain/France/Germany), but US/NA numbers are usually absent. GAF is usually the source for that type of stuff (although recently some of their leakers got a slap on the wrist by their employers, I believe... so it's been a bit harder to get any solid numbers for outside of Japan).

It'd be nice to see what the aging PS2 is managing relative to XB360. That is, though XB360 is second, is that by a large margin or just poking ahead? And are PSP sales for the normal or GigaPack, and as such, what's the price difference people are paying for PSP versus XB360?

Shifty Geezer said:
It'd be nice to see what the aging PS2 is managing relative to XB360.

Post-Christmas, one would expect January to be generally quiet. But 360 is an exception because I'd imagine there's still some pent-up demand from launch that was unsatisfied. PS2 or other home systems aren't really in the same circumstances, so this will be a normal quiet period for them. PSP is still ultra-hot, though and people who went unsatisfied over Xmas may still be picking them up now - a similar effect as 360, perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Valid points. Again, is XB360 top with 50,000 units a week sold, or 15,000 in a very slow month? Still, it makes a nice change ;)

Shifty Geezer said:
Valid points. Again, is XB360 top with 50,000 units a week sold, or 15,000 in a very slow month? Still, it makes a nice change ;)
Probably somewhere in between.

Bad_Boy said:
Thats the exact same info. as in this thread - it didn't, but software sold fantastically.

Bad_Boy said:

I don't believe the article said that, it was Mckmas who did (and we can only assume hes talking about consoles only, and not including the portables when he said it). The article states (if you read the quote in the original post, even) that it is "the second biggest-seller of 2006 after PSP."

The sales likely go (does the article mention?):
PSP
X360
DS
PS2
GBA/SP/M (maybe?)
GC
Xbox

Back