Xbox 360 running Ruby at Siggraph, Pictures

WE MANAGED to grab some additional information about the upcoming Xbox 360 console. Only the whole part of the picture is actually XboX 360 and one of the guys guarding it informed us that this unit is what we could call the latest developer kit. ATI did its own Rubi demo and was rendering that demo on 720P resolution.

The guy in charge of the demo told us that the graphic part is much more powerful than even the upcoming R5XX, series and that ATI's desktop unit will match Xbox 360 graphics with a next generation scheduled for next year.

The Rubi model was rendered with 70,000 polygons while some of its elements had as many as 120,000 polygons per character. The most demanding scene had the dreamlike number of one million polygons per scene.

We looked at the demo and it did look amazing but we have to add that we haven’t seen any new cool effect feature that we haven’t seen on a PC. We still haven’t seen so many polygons on a PC, however, and the guy suggested that we should focus on the power of rendering when it comes to this console. A PC cannot match this now, but of course will match the performance.

Here are the pictures taken from the demo and we saw a guy interacting with the demo. He was able to change to the wireframe model by pressing a button on a controller. Here are the pictures we took from the running demo.

xboxwire.jpg

xboxwire1.jpg

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25197

The new demo looked very much like a game, in contrast to the E3 demonstration clip Koei showed of Ni-Oh, which had a CG feel to it. That said, the new game sports some impressive visuals, making use of characters with huge amounts of detail (Koei states the characters use 1.5 million polygons). Massive detail is afforded not just to the primary character, but to the enemies that appear in the trailer as well. We've uploaded the trailer both in interactive and uninterrupted forms.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/635/635527p1.html

I guess MS is fealing the heat to make this kind of demos,Koei stated that the model for the character use 1.5 million polygons.

Thegameman said:
The new demo looked very much like a game, in contrast to the E3 demonstration clip Koei showed of Ni-Oh, which had a CG feel to it. That said, the new game sports some impressive visuals, making use of characters with huge amounts of detail (Koei states the characters use 1.5 million polygons). Massive detail is afforded not just to the primary character, but to the enemies that appear in the trailer as well. We've uploaded the trailer both in interactive and uninterrupted forms.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/635/635527p1.html

I guess MS is fealing the heat to make this kind of demos,Koei stated that the model for the character use 1.5 million polygons.

MS isnt feeling the heat. this Ruby Demo is Pre-E3 running on Xbox 360 Hardware

And that says 1.5 million polys on characters, or does it say for each character.

Last edited by a moderator:
hasanahmad said:
MS isnt feeling the heat. this Ruby Demo is Pre-E3 running on Xbox 360 Hardware

That would be a little misleading the xbox 360 hardware is not finsh yet..

Your point is? they don't say that all characters use 1.5 million polygons,also read after that what he say..

Thegameman said:
That would be a little misleading the xbox 360 hardware is not finsh yet..

Your point is? they don't say that all characters use 1.5 million polygons,also read after that what he say..

well because in the untitled demo it is only 1 character shown in a dark room

hasanahmad said:
well because in the untitled demo it is only 1 character shown in a dark room

I find a gamespot link.

The 1.5 million is not for the character model the 1.5 million as i see it is just for the face,which would make it very impressive,even at the end this level of detail will not be show,cuz you know how demos are showing unplayable angles,and stuff that you will not see at the end.

After Bandai, Koei showed a real-time demo of its PS3 game, Ni-Oh, which featured a Dynasty Warriors-esque character fighting multiple enemies. Pausing the game and changing the camera angles, Koei chairman Keiko Erikawa zoomed in on the character's face to show its detail, which even showed the pores on the skin. Flanked by an assistant wielding a PS2 controller, Erikawa explained that with the PS2, developers were able to allot about 1,000 polygons to a character's face. With the PS3, Erikawa's team was able to allot up to 1.5 million polygons. Erikawa explained that additional polygons allow for more subdivision surfaces, so faces can have more wrinkles and personality.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15015-2308-4-4-x

Thegameman said:
I find a gamespot link.

The 1.5 million is not for the character model the 1.5 million as i see it is just for the face,which would make it very impressive,even at the end this level of detail will not be show,cuz you know how demos are showing unplayable angles,and stuff that you will not see at the end.

After Bandai, Koei showed a real-time demo of its PS3 game, Ni-Oh, which featured a Dynasty Warriors-esque character fighting multiple enemies. Pausing the game and changing the camera angles, Koei chairman Keiko Erikawa zoomed in on the character's face to show its detail, which even showed the pores on the skin. Flanked by an assistant wielding a PS2 controller, Erikawa explained that with the PS2, developers were able to allot about 1,000 polygons to a character's face. With the PS3, Erikawa's team was able to allot up to 1.5 million polygons. Erikawa explained that additional polygons allow for more subdivision surfaces, so faces can have more wrinkles and personality.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15015-2308-4-4-x

1.5 can be done with xbox 360 as well. koie is inconsistent, first it says characters have 1.5 million polygons, then only the face has 1.5 million polygons. Someone's in the hot pot here

hasanahmad said:
1.5 can be done with xbox 360 as well. koie is inconsistent, first it says characters have 1.5 million polygons, then only the face has 1.5 million polygons. Someone's in the hot pot here

I don't know who is on the hot spot,cuz the same source is not reporting 2 diferent things,is 2 diferent sources reporting diferent things,but look at the detail gamespot point,even pores on the skin are show,Erikawa compare how many polygons could be use for a face with the PS2 and the diference with the PS3.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that the xbox 360 could not do it,after all is just a demo and, on the end i don't think pores on characters face will be show,other than in a close up after you past a level on an FMV.

hasanahmad said:
besides, do you actually think the RSX is more powerful than the R600 slated for Q4 2006?

I don't fall for the hadrware argument,it has been proved that more doesn't mean better..

Hardware talking is very diferent,cuz like on the Matrix revolution people can't see past their own choice,all are vertices,shaders,pipes....

I'm not a very technical guy more of a newbie on hardware talking,but i don't have to see what is inside to notice what is out side,comparing real games side by side is alot better,than any tech talking,cuz at the end you have the final product there,you can compare it real time,and see for your self is A product has realy better graphics than B product.

Thegameman said:
I don't fall for the hadrware argument,it has been proved that more doesn't mean better..

Hardware talking is very diferent,cuz like on the Matrix revolution people can't see past their own choice,all are vertices,shaders,pipes....

I'm not a very technical guy more of a newbie on hardware talking,but i don't have to see what is inside to notice what is out side,comparing real games side by side is alot better,than any tech talking,cuz at the end you have the final product there,you can compare it real time,and see for your self is A product has realy better graphics than B product.

i dont understand your english

hasanahmad said:
besides, do you actually think the RSX is more powerful than the R600 slated for Q4 2006?

Regardless of the article, do you actually think Xenos is as powerful as the R600? :p You're talking about a card with a similar if not more refined architecture/implementation coming 12 months later (with all the manufacturing benefits that brings). There'd be something very wrong with ATi if the R600 was not (a lot) more powerful than Xenos, IMO..they'd get toasted by the competition to boot. Heck, the R520 should be as powerful as Xenos if not moreso - at least in terms of raw shading power - but if that's looking increasingly unlikely, it says more about R520 than Xenos IMO.

The guy at the demo either didn't know what he was talking about or was confusing the concept of having the same architecture in the PC with R600 with having the same level of power.

Anyway, why are we talking about PS3 and PS3 demos in here? It's very OT, Thegameman.

Titanio said:
Regardless of the article, do you actually think Xenos is as powerful as the R600? :p You're talking about a card with a similar if not more refined architecture/implementation coming 12 months later (with all the manufacturing benefits that brings). There'd be something very wrong with ATi if the R600 was not (a lot) more powerful than Xenos, IMO..they'd get toasted by the competition to boot. Heck, the R520 should be as powerful as Xenos if not moreso - at least in terms of raw shading power - but if that's looking increasingly unlikely, it says more about R520 than Xenos IMO.

The guy at the demo either didn't know what he was talking about or was confusing the concept of having the same architecture in the PC with R600 with having the same level of power.

Anyway, why are we talking about PS3 and PS3 demos in here? It's very OT, Thegameman.

Of course, it would be absolutely impossible for Xenos and R520 to be more powerful than both the G70 ;)

SanGreal said:
Of course, it would be absolutely impossible for Xenos and R520 to be more powerful than both the G70 ;)

What's the G70 got to do with this?

I'm simply saying that ATi should be able to beat its own technology coming 6 months later (with R520) and easily beat it again 12 months later or more. They've also got more logic to play with on the PC side (a bit more with R520, and what should be a lot more with the R600).

I'm looking at things purely from a shader power point of view too, btw.

Titanio said:
What's the G70 got to do with this?

You don't have to mention it to make it clear what you're trying to say. ATi says it'll be more powerful than the R520 so you the R520 must not be shaping up very well (since it is meant to be faster than the G70).

You consistently try to downplay xenos, it doesn't take a leap of logic to conclude that is what you're trying to do here.

SanGreal said:
You don't have to mention it to make it clear what you're trying to say. ATi says it'll be more powerful than the R520 so you the R520 must not be shaping up very well (since it is meant to be faster than the G70).

You consistently try to downplay xenos, it doesn't take a leap of logic to conclude that is what you're trying to do here.

Whatever about R520, comparing it to R600 (which you seemed to be doing above) is ludicrous.

I'm not sure what to expect from R520 anymore - the rumours have been going up and down like a yoyo - but I would have expected the R520 to be more powerful than Xenos IMO, at least on paper, in terms of raw shading power.

Back