Xbox 360 price drops by $50

I posted this in the probably soon to be locked thread...

Going back over my theories(I had a few;), I see that my initial one wasn't too far off. I originally suggested $275 Core, $350 Premium and $425 Elite. This past week I suggested a $400 price on the Halo 3 package. :)

BTW, no mention of price drop on accessories, but they got to do something since they didn't drop the same amount on all SKUs. If you add a $180 120gb HDD to the core, it now costs $10 more than getting the Elite. If you add a $100 20gb HDD to the core it costs $30 than the Premium.

Also, no mention of a pack-in either. Might be another store exclusive.

BTW, they did have this interesting quote at the bottom...

Xbox.com said:
With a record-setting attach rate of 6.1 games per console sold (NPD, June 2007)

Tommy McClain

After looking at the new pricing, it looks like they will need to drop the 20gb HDD to $70 from $100 and the 120gb HDD to $170 from $180 in order to keep the previous pricing structure. With only a $10 drop on the 120gb, it's more likely they won't even it bother, but the $30 drop on the 20gb HDD could be a way to clear out inventory. As for the memory cards, there's no incentive for them to drop those prices.

Tommy McClain

one said:
Will Core have HDMI later this year?

No hard facts to support it, but you would think Microsoft would want to convert all SKUs to the same motherboard design. When that will happen is anybody's guess.

Tommy McClain

Nice move, maybe Sony will be inspired!

My guess is a price reduction on the PS3 around heavenly swords release.

nice batch of titles to brag abut there too...

Can't-Miss Games
In addition to being a great value, Xbox 360 is the only place to play all of this year's biggest titles:
Xbox 360 is also home to the most exclusive games:

I fully expect another reduction by year's end.

If the premium gets an hdmi port I'll have to think of nasty ways to kill my 360 with a ring of death aftereffect! :devilish:

Nice move from MS. I hope Sony follows next. I don't think they can delay any longer...

Dont really have to think that hard, its rather easy to overheat something if you want to.

Is it?!
I remember once at work, we were trying to fry a Pentium 3 inside an IBM netvista desktop…. We took out the heat sink and started messing around on the core with a soldering iron (not sure if that’s correct.. I mean the device used for soldering)…
Anyway the damned thing wouldn’t die!
But I guess that with the 360 it MUST be easier!:p

wrap a towel around it, I heard it'll break it (red rings of death) in about 20 minutes. maybe put a disk you don't want in it to make sure the drive is making heat.

wrap a towel around it, I heard it'll break it (red rings of death) in about 20 minutes. maybe put a disk you don't want in it to make sure the drive is making heat.

Yup, I guess that would do the trick!
Sometimes the remedy is the disease! I’m not sure that it works when your 360 is 6 feet under but it will definitely sent it there if it isn’t!!!

I fully expect another reduction by year's end.

I would to, but then again I was expecting them to drop $100 for their first price drop in two years and that didn't happen so I don't think I can trust in any logic in MS tactics.

The only reasonI can see would be that they think that $50 drop + Halo3 would be enough to give a nice spike in sales and then $50 just before they holidays would just enhance the holiday spike even more or something...

I would to, but then again I was expecting them to drop $100 for their first price drop in two years and that didn't happen so I don't think I can trust in any logic in MS tactics.

The only reasonI can see would be that they think that $50 drop + Halo3 would be enough to give a nice spike in sales and then $50 just before they holidays would just enhance the holiday spike even more or something...

I can’t find a major flaw in that strategy really…
In fact I think that they don’t even need a second price cut this year and I honestly don’t expect them to.
All that, is of course speculation. The sales numbers from this holiday season will IMO determine if MS needs a second price cut, at least for now.

I thought it would be $100. Either way. This is one damn ugly console.

ilmhalo3console.jpg

I have to admit, when I saw that my first thought was "I'd expect a tagger with cans of spray paint to do better work than that."

I get the feeling that if I touch that controller I’ll get green paint all over my hands!

Plenty of "red ring" discussion elsewhere, so let's keep it price drop in here.

Anyway I wonder whether the Halo edition represents the leading edge of the Falcon revision, or the trailing edge of the Elite revision.

Anyway I wonder whether the Halo edition represents the leading edge of the Falcon revision, or the trailing edge of the Elite revision.

Or a mistake in case design that they spent too much money on not to release. Their only hope being attaching it to some brand or IP that would give the abomination a chance in hell at selling. Looking over their release schedule the execs saw only one logical choice. Hence, the "Halo 3" edition 360, which stands completely Halo3less, was born from a project gone horribly awry. :D

Back