XBox 360 may be priced lower in Japan

draconian

Newcomer
It is interesting to note that while the prices for the North American and European launches were revealed, the Japanese price was not.

from the SJ Mercury news "....In Europe, the Xbox 360 will cost 399 euros (about $490), while the Xbox 360 Core will be 299 euros. In the United Kingdom, the Xbox 360 will be 279 pounds (a little more than $500) and the Core 209 pounds. Prices in Japan will be announced at the Tokyo Game Show in October....."

I bet the prices in Japan will be lower, and that the american and european prices are subsidizing the console over there in Japan. Microsoft has had a tough time in Japan(also in europe too), they badly need to take a piece of the Japanese market place to ensure Xbox survival. I firmly believe that the XBox 360 doesn't cost much more that the original Xbox and that once the Japanese market has been saturated for the 360, the prices in NA/Europe will come falling down to the $200-$250 level.

It will be lunacy if the Japan price is cut by say 50 (american $..not sure how that translates in Yen) to be around $249 and the "Premium" being $349. I can't see that happening but it IS interesting that the Japanese pricings haven't been released.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Although we may potentially be getting the short end of the stick, I welcome it if it brings more Japanese Dev support.

Back