Xbox 360 Fall 2008 update list (post #23)

Integrate file-sharing for selected titles on Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows - LIVE.
Sounds like UT3 will have file sharing... Good news for fans, if true.

Long descriptions of items on Marketplace can be scrolled using right stick
Option to delete titles from gamercard with 0 gamerscore and 0 achievements (excludes some titles that will be re-added to launch another title).
About time! I never saw the point in showing XBLA demos or BC games. At least now I can organize it.

Better organization of free content on Marketplace.
You have no idea how long I've spent on marketplace looking for free gamer pics or themes. ;)

Option to delete individual music tracks from storage device.
It'd be nice if we could just have the ability to delete any type of file on either the console's HDD or an external device...

Mostly, I'm looking forward to the dashboard updates - new graphics/sounds, calibration options.

Interesting... "Calibration for motion sensor devices".

Don't some games offer installations currently (FFXI)? That means, it's already possible if the dev chooses to do so.

How will the installs work, will older games need patched so they know what to install to HD?

display calibration would be the enough to make me happy. :smile:
16:10 'typical' monitor resolution support would be welcome. ;)

It's not so much a conspiracy as ineptitude! But the new Samsung's support 16:9 on 16:10 displays with letterboxing. I think the monitor companies are finally getting around to the extremely abstract concept that they might, just might, be used for displaying 16:9 content!

Sounds like UT3 will have file sharing... Good news for fans, if true.
AFAIR there was some conference PPT about Live! features and file sharing was one of them already. You can add custom attachments to your message sent over Live. It just seems devs are not using it (which may be for a number of reasons, dunno).

Halo 3 offerered the file sharing ability from day 1. You access it directly through the guide button. Not sure why other devs haven't tried using it.

Tommy McClain

I guess for the data you need dedicated servers, which aren't part of Live infrastructure. There is a reason why most multiplayer games are P2P. :)

He said not significant changes, no 'no update'.

Agreed. I believe the list at the beginning is more likely a wishlist. Though some of them could be included in a dashboard update and not be considered significant. Another idea is that a lot of the major changes could just be rolled into the fall update.

As for the delisting of XBLA titles, I'm not sure I'm real keen on that idea. I can understand wanting to keep high quality titles on the service, but if they're not selling real well then what does it hurt to leave them there? The only thing I can think of is that this might be more of paving the way for XNA Community Games. They probably don't like the idea that there might be some games on Live Arcade that are not as good as some of the free XNA games. So they're probably wanting to show that XBLA titles are high quality and are worth paying for.

The new 1st party studio is also cool news. Will be interesting to hear what they got planned.

Tommy McClain

Whitten also told us that there would be no spring dashboard update for Xbox 360 owners this year, saying that resources were instead focused on "building the proper infrastructure and scale for the service."

Whitten also told us that there would be no spring dashboard update for Xbox 360 owners this year, saying that resources were instead focused on "building the proper infrastructure and scale for the service."

It reads a lot different than the writers interpretation.

We have taken a different approach this spring and spent a lot of our time and resources of building the proper infrastructure and scale for the service not just today but also into the future. So while most users will not notice any significant changes to the dashboard this spring, I can tell you that the team will be releasing a new digital rights management (DRM) tool next month that will allow you to better consolidate your licenses for downloaded content to a single Xbox and allow you the freedom to be able to play your content both online and offline.

Back