Xbox 360 available in South Park, Colorado.

Sure enough, those little lovable furballs from Comedy Central were spending a great deal of time in last night's episode playing console games and apparently they have decided to go Next-Gen, upgrading from their Okama Gamesphere to the Xbox 360.

I suppose making the X360 in a unique concave design was a rather smart move by MS, because despite of a lack of logos, it was clear what console these children were supposed to be using.

I've always thought product placement was where MS really needed to spend their advertising dollars this generation. And while I'm sure MS had nothing to do with this South Park episode, the fact that it was so apparently an X360 and not some non-existent Okama Gamesphere that they were using was rather cool.

My GF didn't notice it until I pointed it out, but once I did, she said 'Oh yeah, look at that! It does look like the new Xbox'

Funny you brought this up, i noticed the same thing. It was clearly a core system though, he was using wired controllers. :)

Guden Oden said:
But, was it badly drawn?

This is South Park we're talking about, the details won't be fantastic; they'd probably spend half their budget on an accurately drawn real-world item. :LOL:

;)

It was actually pretty well represented, and I'm not sure if it was product placement or just the idea that the kids would be playing the latest/greatest system available.

there have been a couple of other prime time TV show placements already this season

too lazy to look them up

a movie placement too I believe

as to the wired controllers, they have to do that because "most" people would not know what the heck this wireless device they were pointing at the tv was yet. ;)

Alstrong said:
maybe they're xbox fans :p

I doubt. The whole Okama Gamesphere episode was created to poke fun at the "importance" or "influence" of video games. I doubt that a pair who'd create an episode based upon the social commentary of our society being desensitized to reality because of video games would be fanatical fans of any system over any other.

Pgr3 and Kameo were in the Sopranos the other day, hanging from a shelf in the video store where AJ works. Not just for a second either. They conveniently occupied a good chunk of the frame for a while.

So now South Park has had:

Sega Dreamcast

Okama Gamesphere (Nintendo Gamecube obviously)

Sony PSP

Xbox 360

and of course the Colecovision over at Kenny's place, because his family is poor.

It's good to see South Park keeps up with the times.

Andy said:
So now South Park has had:

Sega Dreamcast

Okama Gamesphere (Nintendo Gamecube obviously)

Sony PSP

Xbox 360

and of course the Colecovision over at Kenny's place, because his family is poor.

It's good to see South Park keeps up with the times.

Except the Okama Gamesphere didn't actually look like a Gamecube. So I wouldn't say it was 'obviously' anything. Maybe they didn't want it to look like a specific console because of the particular story line of the episode.

screenshot003.jpg

screenshot008.jpg

They are.. that was kinda my original point. Both on the fact that it was clearly a 360, and also that it was pretty damn smart of MS to make the 360 have the distinctive concave shape because that's what really makes it clear what system they are playing, even without labels.

Back