Xbox 360 Arcade, the best value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eezing

Newcomer
Xbox 360 Arcade, the best value? As stated in a recent PC World article, According to Microsoft:

“At $199, Xbox 360 is now not only the most affordable next-generation console available, but it also packs more entertainment punch per dollar than any other consumer electronics device connected to your TV.”

-PC World,
http://www.pcworld.com/article/151045/xbox_360_price_cut_spurs_sales.html

So, is the 360 Arcade the most affordable “next-gen” console? First, I think we need to define what exactly a Next-Generation console is; and if the 360 Arcade were classified as next-gen, would the 360 Elite or PS3 be “next next-gen”?

What does “Next-Generation game console mean”?

Well there is no clear answer, but my version would be something such as this:

A game console which includes every feature the most feature centric console includes:

Hard Drive, 1080p High Def/HDMI, In-Home network capabilities (media streaming, file transfer), Online multiplayer, downloadable content enabled (games, movies, music...), WiFi, Blue-Ray support, Rechargeable wireless controller.

If you were to purchase a 360 Arcade and wanted all of these features (excluding Blue Ray, as it is not possible), you would have to spend an additional $270.

WiFi – 100
HDD – 100
Play & Charge Kit for controller – 20
Xbox Live Gold – 50 (per year)
Total - $270

Total + Retail Arcade = $470

Conclusion: The XBOX 360 Arcade, priced at $200 is cheaper in comparison to $300 or $400. Is it the most affordable Next-Generation console? No, not really. The 360 Arcade is hardly “Next-Generation”. Is it the best valued gaming console? No, you pay for what you get; and in this case, you pay less and get less, plain and simple. In fact, every other retailed box console available on the market today seems to be a better value than the XBOX 360 Arcade.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a nonsense article! 'Next-gen console' means 'the next generation of gaming hardware after the previous one'. Where does PCWorld place the Wii?

I don't get this. Why is wifi considered necessary in all of these listings? HDD I get. HD cables too. XBL Gold, totally. But when did wifi become required?

What a nonsense article! 'Next-gen console' means 'the next generation of gaming hardware after the previous one'. Where does PCWorld place the Wii?

well what's in the OP appears to be just the poster's opinions because the link he posted only mentions the price cut and a reiteration of the MS quote of it being a good value. No opinion from PC World in there.

If you want to play next gen games, then you have two choices:

1) You can spend $400.
2) You can spend $200.

That's all there is to it.

Wow you mean if you want extra features you can pay more? What a novel concept.

You don't need anything other than the arcade box to play games. It comes with everything you need, even some games.

Hard Drive, 1080p High Def/HDMI, In-Home network capabilities (media streaming, file transfer), Online content enabled (downloadable games, movies, music...), WiFi, Blue-Ray support, Rechargeable wireless controller.

The XBOX 360 Arcade includes… none of the above right out of the box.

That's not true. You're obscuring or ignoring the truth with a statement like that.

• 1080p HDMI - the arcade does this, it just needs an HDMI cable added.
  • media streaming - the arcade does this, it just needs an Ethernet cable added.
  • online content enabled - the arcade does this, and includes a small amount of storage for this purpose.
  • wifi - this is a luxury feature, period. Most homes have a broadband plug (cable or DSL) located within a few feet of their TV.
  • play & charge wireless controller - the next-gen feature is wireless, and the arcade has it. Argue about batteries if you wish, but there's nothing "next gen" about them.
  • xbox live gold - none of the features listed in OP require this.

You omitted some fairly consumer-friendly "next-gen" features that the Arcade provides. Could that be because they contradict your argument?

• IR remote compatible
  • media center extender
  • USB mass storage device compatibility
  • VGA monitor compatible w/ added cable

I don't get this. Why is wifi considered necessary in all of these listings? HDD I get. HD cables too. XBL Gold, totally. But when did wifi become required?

I never stated that WiFi was necessary, I stated that the most feature centric console includes WiFi. In my opinion, a console to be truly classified as "Next-Generation" would have to include all the features of the most feature centric console on the market; WiFi being one of those features. The 360 is capable of WiFi, but must be purchased at an additional cost; therefore raising it's price and dropping it's value.

1080p HDMI - I was misinformed, I was unaware it had an HDMI port. Kudos to you.

Media Streaming - Again, I'm wrong and you are right.

Online content in enabled - Would you have a gold account and no HDD?

WiFi - Maybe you a luxury for you, but a necessity to others. How do you know what most homes have? Do you have statistical data that proves your statement? I know quite a few people myself who have a wireless router in their home.

Play & Charge - Do you own a rechargeable battery for your controller? I do, it beats the heck out of buying batteries.

XBOX Live Gold - You're right, I left out the basic functionality of it... Play your multiplayer games online! Again, would you have an HDD and no Gold account?

The arcade doesn't have a DVD/BR burner...so it's NOT next-gen game console at all. The only next gen console is PSX (dvd burner). So the 360 and PS3 is a step backward, it's the last gen console.

:p

What does HDD have to do with Gold?

You don't need a HDD to play multiplayer online. The Arcade is proof of that - it comes with 30 days of Gold.

You don't need Gold to derive value from a HDD. I do have a HDD without Gold. I get my money's worth using it for movies, demos and arcade games.

Play & charge - again, please explain how this is a next-gen feature, because I'm not seeing it. Wireless mice and TV remotes don't come with rechargable batteries. (I know, you can provide an obscure counter-example.) Why should I expect all next-gen console controllers to come with them?

Play & charge - again, please explain how this is a next-gen feature, because I'm not seeing it. Wireless mice and TV remotes don't come with rechargable batteries. (I know, you can provide an obscure counter-example.) Why should I expect all next-gen console controllers to come with them?

Because his other console comes with one. I have no idea why this isn't locked. It's like being on gaf or gamefaqs....

I never stated that WiFi was necessary, I stated that the most feature centric console includes WiFi. In my opinion, a console to be truly classified as "Next-Generation" would have to include all the features of the most feature centric console on the market; WiFi being one of those features. The 360 is capable of WiFi, but must be purchased at an additional cost; therefore raising it's price and dropping it's value.

It would be nice if you edited the original post to make it a bit clearer that only the quote at the top was PCWorld, and the rest was you.

While you're entitled to your opinion, you've basically created a circular self-referential definition of "next generation" that in any given generation by definition will be required to only include one of the contenders. That simply can't be right unless you're out for some axe grinding on behalf of that particular contender.

Personally, by now I am nearly tempted to pass by ukase the banning of the use of "Next Generation" on these boards from here forward about anything that isn't Xbox Next, PS4, whatever follows Wii, etc. We are coming up on two years since the release of PS3 and three years since release of Xbox360. Way, way WAY past time to move on, "next generation" wise, don't you think!

But I suppose I won't go all dictator-y on that point, however tempted I am. . .

What does HDD have to do with Gold?

You don't need a HDD to play multiplayer online. The Arcade is proof of that - it comes with 30 days of Gold.

You don't need Gold to derive value from a HDD. I do have a HDD without Gold. I get my money's worth using it for movies, demos and arcade games.

Look, Gold Live & the HDD go hand in hand. For most non-arcade games, you need Gold to play online; and to store added game content for multiple games, you would need a HDD. Sorry, the memory card just don't cut the mustard. Having the ability to play online and store content for the game you play online should be in the "Next-Generation" console by default.

The fact of the matter is you and I both know that having rechargeable batteries is far better than not having them. What would you rather have me do, include the price of the Play & charge kit, or the price of buying alkaline batteries for the life of the console? I'm sure it would be more expensive to keep buying batteries; which in return decreases the value of console more than a Play & Charge kit would.

Look, Gold Live & the HDD go hand in hand. For most non-arcade games, you need Gold to play online; and to store added game content for multiple games, you would need a HDD. Sorry, the memory card just don't cut the mustard. Having the ability to play online and store content for the game you play online should be in the "Next-Generation" console by default.

The fact of the matter is you and I both know that having rechargeable batteries is far better than not having them. What would you rather have me do, include the price of the Play & charge kit, or the price of buying alkaline batteries for the life of the console? I'm sure it would be more expensive to keep buying batteries; which in return decreases the value of console more than a Play & Charge kit would.

Sure just like you need a PS3 remote to play blu-ray movies.

Or do as most people do...buy rechargeable AA batteries. When those rechargeable batteries stop holding their charges, you buy new ones...don't need to buy a new controller or send them in to replace the battery.

The nice thing about user replaceable batteries, is during a good lan party. You keep a couple of them charged, and when the one in your controller dies, replace them. Pointless to have a wireless controller with a power chord.

So if you have HD system that doesn't come with HD cable, is it still HD?

Look, Gold Live & the HDD go hand in hand.

Thing is, anyone can concoct all kinds of price scenarios to support whatever argument they want. For example, I could claim that the true price of a PS3 is $500, since you need to add a larger hard drive if you actually want to play games because of all the large required installs. Or, the PS3 uses more electricity, so one can claim that it's more expensive to operate over the course of a year, more so than the $50 required for Live Gold. I'm sure others can concoct their own scenarios as well. But if you just want to buy a box and play the latest games as most do, then $199 and you're in. $199 also puts it nicely into Christmas gift range.

You're grasping at straws. Rechargeable AA batteries are only worth $1-4 each. I could just as easily claim that almost everyone already owns rechargeable AA batteries, and therefore the fact that the controller uses AA batteries is an advantage compared to a non-user-replaceable built-in battery.

How is a rechargeable battery a more important consumer feature than (e.g.) built-in IR remote compatibility? It's not, you're just trying to select PS3 features over Arcade features.

The memory card on the Arcade is 50% of the Wii's internal storage, and can hold several arcade games at a time. It's more than sufficient for this purpose, and meets your OP criteria for "next-gen".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back