Xbox 360 50 Euro price cut March 14

iceberg187

Regular
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/rumour-xbox-360-price-cut-march-14th-257400

Gaming
Xbox 360 price cut March 14th
50 Euros per SKU, cheaper than Wii

37 minutes ago | Reader comments (0)

TechRadar understands that the price of every Xbox 360 SKU is to be slashed by 50 Euros on March 14th across Europe, according to numerous well-placed games industry sources.

We have corroborated this story with numerous UK retailers this morning that the 360 price is set to be slashed on this date.

The rumour is that the price cut will be in the region of 50 Euros per SKU (£38.26 at the current exchange rate) which we will confirm as soon as we find a retailer willing to go on record. Microsoft has of course responded with a swift 'no comment' when we contacted them this morning to ask for confirmation on this news.

This effectively means that the cost of the Xbox 360 Elite system on Amazon will be in the region of £240 and the basic Arcade system (without a hard drive) will cost in the region of £150.

The news follows recent 360 price cuts by Microsoft in Canada

360 cheaper than Wii

Which means that the Xbox 360 is to be cheaper than the Nintendo Wii this coming Easter.

TechRadar spoke to a Gamestation store manager earlier today who expressed surprise that a price cut was being introduced.

“We are currently selling the Elite plus one game at £330, the Premium system with any game at £280 or £260 with FIFA Street or Assassin’s Creed and the Arcade version for £230 with any game or £220 with FIFA Street,” the retailer told us.

Knock around £40 off those prices and you have what is clearly this Easter’s biggest gaming bargain. “I might even buy one myself now,” the store manager quipped.

360 Elite MkII

Of course, this begs the question: “What new iteration of the Xbox 360 does Microsoft currently have in the works and when will it be released?”

Rest assured we will be the first to let you know the answers to both of those questions as soon as we find out. The games industry rumour mill is already discussing the new Opus and Valhalla 360 motherboards.

In the meantime, if you have still to buy yourself a 360 to enjoy the wonder that is Rez HD on Xbox Live Arcade, then you really do have no excuse this coming Easter…

Looks like they're getting ready for a big GTA4 push and hoping the momentum carries on like it it with Halo3.

Can somebody project an equivalent price drop for us ethno-centric and mathematically challenged Americans?

Also, is the launch date for GTA different in the UK than it is in the US? (Ie: why would there be a timing difference in the price drops)

This would be great news, I'd love to buy myself a 360 for my birthday.

(I just really want to play Cyberball, damn it)

I didn't get the Elite MkII nonsense. Is that just speculation because the motherboards are changing again? Or has there been any reason to suspect that things such as built in wifi are going to be a reality?

Can somebody project an equivalent price drop for us ethno-centric and mathematically challenged Americans?

Also, is the launch date for GTA different in the UK than it is in the US? (Ie: why would there be a timing difference in the price drops)

I didn't get the Elite MkII nonsense. Is that just speculation because the motherboards are changing again? Or has there been any reason to suspect that things such as built in wifi are going to be a reality?

$76 is the equivalent

The lack of a regional rumour might suggest no US price drop. XB360 is selling 'okay' in the US but not in the EU, so to motivate EU consumers a price-drop in line with the US price (remember we're still paying over the odds here) makes sense. MS can rely on GTA and advertising to promote US sales without adjusting prices per unit. I wouldn't count on an NA drop to coincide with an EU one if it does happen.

I cannot see a €50 euro drop making much difference, PS3 is already much more expensive and people prefer it.

I guess they are talking about a €50 price cut doesn't confirm that it's actually going to apply to the UK either. It wouldn't surprise me to find that they will still charge Brits the current price because it's doing fairly well here and we are a rich enough nation to subsidise everyone else getting it cheaper.

I cannot see a €50 euro drop making much difference, PS3 is already much more expensive and people prefer it.

Well 399€ vs 349€ for the 20GB model is not that big of a difference, 299€ vs 399€ is a clear difference and is in my opinion a good move and probably will give a boost for Xbox 360, probably not enough to beat PS3, but that's not the only goal here.

Everybody could afford to lower their Euro prices though as the € is really strong against the dollar right now.

For the most part I agree, which is why we haven't seen more aggressive pricing from MS. Sometimes you just have to accept reality that there's nothing you can do to heavily increase demand for your product.

I think MS just wants to make it clear which platform gives you the best value in GTA. We'll see if it works as well as MS hopes.

Every drop counts. Having said that, I'm not sure Sony won't respond in some way.
Sony are releasing two £300 bundles at the end of this month, the BRD movie pack and the GT5P bundle. No price drop was announced. At best maybe £20 would be knocked off the 40GB non-bundled pack. Interestingly shortly after the bundle announcement Amazon's price went up from £270 to £280. Perhaps a coincidence where they found a lower price didn't net them any benefit? Or maybe they have upped the price now to nearer online market average to drop it again when the bundles come out and create a new 'price drop' to clear the old and unloved inventory? "Now only £270!!!!!!" where of course it was £270 before...

In the EU it's outselling XB360 despite costing more. Maybe you think they prefer XB360 but are being forced against their will to buy PS3's instead ;)

The price drop certainly won't hurt. With a good marketing campaign they could do well. In Europe "playstation" is household word. It'll take a while to turn that around.

The lack of a regional rumour might suggest no US price drop. XB360 is selling 'okay' in the US but not in the EU, so to motivate EU consumers a price-drop in line with the US price (remember we're still paying over the odds here) makes sense. MS can rely on GTA and advertising to promote US sales without adjusting prices per unit. I wouldn't count on an NA drop to coincide with an EU one if it does happen.

just 'okay'? it's not great but a bit better than just 'okay'

In the EU it's outselling XB360 despite costing more. Maybe you think they prefer XB360 but are being forced against their will to buy PS3's instead ;)

do we have concrete numbers to show this? such as NPD for EU?

Either that or the US price cut rumors just haven't hit yet. Definitly needed more in Europe though.

Anyways MS is so far behind the ball on price it's ridiculous. People have been lulled into thinking PS3 and 360 are roughly same price machines when in reality 360 should/does cost far, far less, being farther down the manufactoring curve and oh btw, it doesn't have Blu Ray.

MS can get away with it and make $ apparantly, but they need to be a lot more aggressive. I think a $100 price cut is more what we need to be talking about (though of course we wont get that).

Last edited by a moderator:

The only way for Microsoft to keep its lead in the next year is to drop its price by at least $80 across the board & discontinue the HDD less system.
Otherwise in 2009 or 2010 they will be announcing a whole new system to recapture their position in the market.
I don’t believe Xbox360’s gaming variety has what it takes to sustain itself beyond 2010.
You can speak hypothetically of it emulating the PS2’s reign and call other ideas crazy.
But the Wii is already Crushing it harder than PS2 did last time.
And the PS3 is already outpacing it when comparing from launch day forward.
These facts make it crazy to think the scenerio this time will be much better than last.

Old news to me. I predicted this Two weeks ago. ;)
Also set the date of freebies, including Halo 3's Heroic Map Pack to combat Sony in April and June.
With the PS3 selling better than Xbox360 in Christmas, Janurary, and Feburary. Microsoft had to do something befoe Sony claims having outsold them for a whole quarter.

I expect Xbox360 prices like Arcade $199, Pro $299, Elite $399 in US Dollars.
Playstation 3 is too good of a deal for the Xbox360 to continue to over charge consumers.
The Xbox360 Pro costs Microsoft less than $200 to put on a retail shelf.
The high prices are in place to pay for the high defect rate.
And get you that second console when the first busts.

January 14th,
Nintendo Wii and PlayStation 3 are the very best values in gaming.
That isn't bias. This is a Business perspective of spending.
Organized according the broken down prices of included services and value.

1) Wii = $200
2) PS3 w/40GB = $230 + BluDV = $400
3) PS3 w/80GB = $330 + BluDV = $500
4) Xbox360 Pro w/20GB = $350 + HDV = $520
5) Xbox360 Elite w/120GB = $450 + HDV = $620
6) Xbox360 Arcade add/HDD = $460 + HDV = $630 (Arcade = Money Trap!)
= Ninetendo Wii or PS3 are significantly Better Values than the Xbox360!

Comparing Base Console Values
Xbox360 is $150 more OR 175% more than Nintendo Wii
Xbox360 is $120 more OR 152% more than PlayStation 3

This was done according to Microsoft's own pricing of HD-DVD.
Had a higher value been placed on including Blu-ray, the Wii might lose.

Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon = $170
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103051

This a $170 Blu-ray and $230 for a Next Gen Gaming Console with HDD!

January 20th

If a new Xbox comes out every 4 years here is how it breaks down.

Xbox 360 $400 / 4 Years = $100 a year (+ Live = $150 year)
Playstation 3 $500 / 6 years = $83 year
Wii $250 / 5 years = $50 a year

Savings accrued over 4 years:
Playstation 3 = $68
Nintendo Wii = $200

Wii offers the very best price at half the cost and a year more life. What an amazing value for families and younger gamers! You could literally own two consoles for the same price as Xbox 360 in order to avoid quarrels over usage or simplify living in a big house.

Surprisingly Playstation 3 even with all the extras is cheaper for gamers to buy than an Xbox 360 when you look at the life of the platform. So even though the initial cost is higher on PlayStation 3, the cost to the consumer is lower in the long run. Additionally the hardware value to anyone with HDTV is even better starting on day one.

The Xbox used to compare is the Premium launch model. Because in its life it would be unrealistic to expect people to spend more on memory cards than one 20GB HDD. Additionally an upgrade to 120GB for the Xbox360 will cost gamers more than 3x times what it would on the Plyastation3.

120GB HDD
PS3 $55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822116031R
XB360 $180 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103062

If you really want to be brutal divide a consoles price by the estimated years of gaming it has remaining.
That will tell you how much you are paying for the time before they replace your system.

If you really want to be brutal divide a consoles price by the estimated years of gaming it has remaining.
That will tell you how much you are paying for the time before they replace your system.

There's no value in that metric. People don't buy consoles aligned with console launches. For example, there are still tons of Xbox 1's and Gamecubes in service, and there were still new games to buy for both systems last holiday season.

What you need to track is the average length of service of a console, and divide that by the average price paid per console. Most are bought in year n, not in year 1. Most continue to be used long past n=5. Obviously you will get nowhere determining this metric without a major scientific survey.

I find the notion of dividing by time suspect. Most people don't use their consoles constantly, they use them with some relation to the availability of games. You'll get a better measure of a console's value by dividing its cost by the number of games that will be available for purchase during its length of service.

Finally, your thesis that MS consoles will come out 1 per 4 years has no basis. The XBox 1 was a well-documented special case. It is absurd to think that MS will release a new console in 2009.

Back