Xbox 360 1080p or 720p?

Joker Dave

Newcomer
Hi
Would like to know what resolution to set my Xbox 360 to, i'm connecting to a full hd sony 40" LCD tv via hdmi?
Can't seem to find a definitive answer any help is appreciated

Dave

Hi
Would like to know what resolution to set my Xbox 360 to, i'm connecting to a full hd sony 40" LCD tv via hdmi?
Can't seem to find a definitive answer any help is appreciated

Dave

1080p I would assume ...if your LCD is capable of 1080p. I have the original XB360, with component cables and as far as I know, its outputting 1080p.

I think 1080P.

It's just a question of whether you want your TV or your console to do the scaling. As far as I know, letting the console do it could result in less input lag.

TV's scaling is said to introduce input lag. A frame or two, on top of already possibly heavy lag by the TV. Presumably consoles doing it "internally", somewhere in the GPU, means less lag.

Edit: this assumes a 1080P native TV, which a 40" likely is.

I think PS3 owners are kind of at a disadvantage here, as I dont know that there's a 1080P output option on PS3, due to it's wonky Nvidia scaler.

Thanks for the replies
My TV is native 1080p. The reason i ask is that when set to 1080p the image looks softer if that makes sense.

I think PS3 owners are kind of at a disadvantage here, as I dont know that there's a 1080P output option on PS3, due to it's wonky Nvidia scaler.

There is native 1080p support for PS3 (XMB startup-interface). The scaler was more so dealing with sub-HD games, not the XMB startup-interface screen. And if I'm not mistaken, the XB360 Dashboard is 1280x720 native, scaled to 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is native 1080p support for PS3 (XMB startup-interface). The scaler was more so dealing with sub-HD games, not the XMB startup-interface screen. And if I'm not mistaken, the XB360 Dashboard is 1280x720 native, scaled to 1080p.

Someone should have been fired otherwise...

HDMI...check
BluRay drive...check
Upscaled UI....WTF!!!

LOL.

Thanks for the replies
My TV is native 1080p. The reason i ask is that when set to 1080p the image looks softer if that makes sense.

That may have more to do with your tv's settings when accepting a 720p feed (e.g. sharpness setting).

1080p all the way. This will ensure you will have the lowest input lag. I've confirmed it with my 1080p HD Panasonic plasma. When I had a 720p LG plamsa, I set it to 1024x768, its native resolution.

So to clarify use 1080p and add a small amount of sharpness.
Also I have colour space set to RGB standard is this right?

So to clarify use 1080p and add a small amount of sharpness.
Also I have colour space set to RGB standard is this right?
Yes it is. Standard RGB is meant for TVs, Full RGB is meant for PC displays.

All the video -Blu-Ray, cinema, etc- material out there is created using Standard RGB and it is the best choice. More on that.... maybe someday....

Video content is more likely to be YCbCr of some sort. The list of colour spaces explains the scenarios anyway ( game vs SD video vs HD video). It's probably safer to just leave that on auto or the colours might look funny for one source type even if it's ok for another.

Standard range should be the norm for most TVs. Expanded for PC monitors (closest to full range considering the 360's wonky gamma) or if the TV is set to accept full range.

Back