Xbox 2 ATI East - R500 by ATI West, so GCN2/N5 GPU is what?

quote from Dave

Not quite so sure how related to R500 XB2 will be now - last I heard the East Coast team is solely concentrating on the XBox, while R500 for the PC is now a West Coast product.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11022&start=120

If R500 is now being designed by ATI West Coast (who did R300, R420)
what does that mean for Nintendo's GCN2/N5 GPU? I still think it's going to be a custom design. but maybe it will share some stuff with the R500.

And where does that leave Xbox 2.... with some custom R4xx based GPU?

Do you think the teams work entirely independently? I would expect that there is a sharing of ideas/technology between them. Obviously they have target goals which vary, but there is also probably a lot of overlap.

Or...

Nintendo could be using the same tech as microsoft from ATI east. I still think this could happen.

Qroach said:
Or...

Nintendo could be using the same tech as microsoft from ATI east. I still think this could happen.

Isn't there an article with someone from ATI saying that two different teams are working Nintendo and MS GPU's seperately.

Isn't there an article with someone from ATI saying that two different teams are working Nintendo and MS GPU's seperately.

That's true there is.... but what if ATI wasn't working on N5? They could be workign on some future portable system.

Re: Xbox 2 ATI East - R500 by ATI West, so GCN2/N5 GPU is wh

Megadrive1988 said:
quote from Dave

Not quite so sure how related to R500 XB2 will be now - last I heard the East Coast team is solely concentrating on the XBox, while R500 for the PC is now a West Coast product.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11022&start=120

If R500 is now being designed by ATI West Coast (who did R300, R420)
what does that mean for Nintendo's GCN2/N5 GPU? I still think it's going to be a custom design. but maybe it will share some stuff with the R500.

And where does that leave Xbox 2.... with some custom R4xx based GPU?

Why not R600? The R500 is supposed to be a .90 nm part, and it is assumed the VPU for the XB2 is going to be a .65nm part. To me it indicates a variant of the R600.

WRT Nintendo I'm increasingly getting suggestions that it may be the same platform as xbox2. I floated this past someone who follows this industry very closely a year ago and he didn't warm to the suggestion then, curiously he seems to be getting a little convinced by it now

From daves latest post

If ATI sticks to an 18 month product cycle, R500 won't be released until winter 2005, which is when X-Box 2 should get here (maybe?). R600 doesn't have a chance of being released earlier than the middle of 2007, so it's not really an option for X-Box 2. As far as R500 being a 90nm part, remember R500 isn't the exact same thing that's going into X-Box 2. If they add a significant amount of embedded ram to the chip a 65nm process would make sense.

Jeez, why isn't dave posting that kind of info in here? ;)

Remember the rumors about nintendo and MS execs meeting at E3 last year? What dave has said make sense in my opinion.

Its long been thought that N and MS might team up.

They share the same street address and Im sure have had quite a few lunches together.

Ive said before I wouldnt be suprised to see Nintendo release a game only system, while MS releases a version that includes more abilities/features while being pretty much the same base system.

Both are PowerPC/IBM type CPUs, both are Ati graphics. Both coming out in the same timeframe.

I'm not against the idea of Nintendo and MS teaming up at all, this would be excellent news for Nintendo, and anything good for Nintendo makes me happy. :LOL:

Besides, I'm sure MS fans could use Nintendo's superior expertise in human interface design...

Why not R600? The R500 is supposed to be a .90 nm part, and it is assumed the VPU for the XB2 is going to be a .65nm part. To me it indicates a variant of the R600.

I've always included R6xx as a possibility for Xbox 2. if MS has decided or later decides Xbox 2 isnt coming until 2006, then an R6xx VPU is what they'll need. even the likely awesome R500 will be getting old after 2007 :) much like Xbox seems old now. at least techwise.

my greatest desire for Xbox 2 and PS3, hardware wise, is scalability. even though it probably won't happen.

Megadrive1988 said:

I've always included R6xx as a possibility for Xbox 2. if MS has decided or later decides Xbox 2 isnt coming until 2006, then an R6xx VPU is what they'll need. even the likely awesome R500 will be getting old after 2007 :) much like Xbox seems old now. at least techwise.

my greatest desire for Xbox 2 and PS3, hardware wise, is scalability. even though it probably won't happen.

When you talk about scalability you mean upgreable?

I ment that you could stack several PS3s or Xbox2s together, like various SGI and E&S machines, as well as other platforms. this is very unlikely to happen, but technically would be possible. it was pretty much done with PS2s. on an experimental level. (the UIC supercomputer made from 60~70 PS2s, and Sony's GSCube). One of the major barriers to this happening for gamers is, few developers, if any, would be willing to write games that took advantage of 2,4,8,etc. Xbox2s or PS3s. I do think however, that having several PS3s or Xbox2s in one room, connected together, and boosting the processing & graphics processing level according to how many consoles you have, is ALOT more possible, and dare I say likely, than Sony's/ Ken K's BS vision of having Cells share processing / graphics processing over the internet in realtime.

Back