Xabre Supersampling

parhelia

Newcomer
Just wanted to know : what do you guys think of the supersampling on the SiS Xabre? (please no general comments on the xabre, I just want to discuss about its FSAA technique)
How is its supersampling technique in regard to FSAA image quality?

NO FSAA :

Q3-FSAA-No.jpg

FSAA 2x :

Q3-FSAA-2x.jpg

FSAA 3x :

Q3-FSAA-3x.jpg

FSA 4x :

Q3-FSAA-4x.jpg

last time I check 2x wasn't aa at all, just some blur filter

3x wasn't 3x and 4x wasn't 4x, rather both was 2x, didn't see any IQ variations, though a small difference in performance

in any case: it sucks badly

Mmmm, bilinear filtering.

And 2x does look like a blur filter. 3x and 4x looks decent. I notice there are no framerates in the shots. ;)

Pete said:

And 2x does look like a blur filter. 3x and 4x looks decent. I notice there are no framerates in the shots. ;)

3x and 4x looks like ordinary 2xOGSS, not very good in other words
the performance drop is very steep though, "4x" really has the drop I'd expect from 4x ;)

Pete said:

2x looks like it was rendered at 1/4 resolution and stretched to fullscreen. It's awful.

I really can't see any AA in the 3x or 4x shots.

Well, my screen res isn't sufficient to look at the whole picture at once--I was concentrating on how the textures on the floor and the grates on the left look sharper in 3x and 4x. Looking again, I can't see significant AA on the gun or the left and right "sidewalks."

My sarcasm stands. ;)

Using the "logic" behind that "2x" supersampling, CDs could have been produced with only a 22khz sampling rate instead of the 44.

Actually the 2x blur does a pretty good job of removing the jaggies. It seems better than 3x or 4x in that it actually does something. It actually doesn't look all that bad to me, but I didn't spend much time studying it.

Nagorak said:
Actually the 2x blur does a pretty good job of removing the jaggies. It seems better than 3x or 4x in that it actually does something. It actually doesn't look all that bad to me, but I didn't spend much time studying it.

Do you judge by pictures or experience.
In motion I personally think the 2x mode is absolutely useless, it only washes out the IQ a bit, no "AA effect" visable at all.

Simon F said:
Using the "logic" behind that "2x" supersampling, CDs could have been produced with only a 22khz sampling rate instead of the 44.

OT: This makes me rembember when I had a 2.4x Sony CD-ROM.
It had an exact 300Kb/s read rate (2x). Why was it called 2.4x? Because it was 20% faster than other 2x CD-ROMs...

Assuming that I've got the information correct and haven't misunderstood what's be said...
Nagorak said:
Actually the 2x blur does a pretty good job of removing the jaggies.
No it can't. Once the aliases, i.e. high frequency information that was in the 'theoretical' image prior to sampling but is now masquerading as low frequency data, are in in the image, it is not possible to remove them without damaging the valid low-frequency data. All a low-pass filter does is implement a digital version of a very old "hardware" technique. that was applied post-RAMDAC ;)

The only way is to pre-filter the theoretical image, however that is difficult to do and so the 'next best thing' is to sample at a higher rate. That moves the aliasing cut-off frequency point up the spectrum and, as the high frequency content usually drops off with increasing frequency, the visible aliasing decreases.

In summary, you can't make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear". There were complaints that the Nvidia Quincunx 2x filter was blurring, but that, at least least, was a genuine 2x supersample.

There were complaints that the Nvidia Quincunx 2x filter was blurring, but that, at least least, was a genuine 2x supersample.

2xRGMS + 5-tap gaussian if my memory serves me well.

Recent updates on XabreII:

XG : Will SiS implement Multisampling Anti Aliasing for the upcoming Xabre II?

SiS : In order to get the best quality, we chose to implement Supersampling up to 4 samples

XG : Will SIS implement Anisotropic Filtering for the Xabre series? If yes, would it be specific to the Xabre II or will the whole Xabre series benefit of it?

SiS : Xabre II supports anistropic filtering and up to 4X.

http://xabregamers.dgwh.com/modules/nsections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=13

:rolleyes:

Ailuros said:
Recent updates on XabreII:

XG : Will SiS implement Multisampling Anti Aliasing for the upcoming Xabre II?

SiS : In order to get the best quality, we chose to implement Supersampling up to 4 samples
Very strange. They told me it will support multisampling with up to 4 samples. And they have color compression, which only really makes sense with multisampling.

Back