Xabre II 8x2 architecture...

Ante P

Veteran
Well is it once again a scam or are they talking the truth this time? ;)

http://xabregamers.dgwh.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=178

5600 mtex/s sure sounds good ;)

but looking at the transistor count I'd say it's very much impossible

I mean 8x2, PS2.0, VS2.0 etc. all on 80 m trans? c'mon ;)

btw I sure hope they don't use funny "optimizations" this time around, sure doesn't seem fitting for a card in this class

and I hope AA/AF is possible now, and not phony SSAA modes

Hellbinder[CE said:
]aaaah, perhaps all software Vertex processing again??? that could explain the low Transistor count.

could also just mean that its very narrowly pipelines (thus lower clockspeed), only 1 dx9 vertex shader, doesnt have as many bandwidth saving features, and only supports SSAA.

not only that, but we'll have to see what their "8x2" really means. 8x2 could mean 4x4 considering how trustworthy SiS and nVidia are these days :rolleyes:

Mulciber said:
Chalnoth said:
It could also come with SiS's patented BlurryVision (tm)

I think nVidia has the patent on that. Its called nBlur. AFAIK, the SiS patent is Blur Xision

ROFL :D

Thats what they said to me as well. High end 8x2, low 4x2.

Dave,

High end or mainstream? Would a 128bit bus guestimate be off base here?

Ailuros said:
High end or mainstream? Would a 128bit bus guestimate be off base here?

aiming at a cheap price tag I'd say that since they're using 1 Ghz memory they most probably "only" will have a 128 bit bus

but if it is a
350/1000 MHz, 8x2, 256 bit design @ 80 million transistors @ low cost, then... well.. I'll probably have to eat my hat =)

add in HSR, MSAA and what not and I'd say it's outright impossible for SiS to pull it off based on the whole Xabre ordeal

I hope they fired that mentally challenged, 13 year old, PR manager this time around :D

"Ultrarealistic Hyperemu Ninjaforce Dragons And Good Looking Half Naked Female Midget Engine"(TM)
With reduced transistor counts we are able to emulate the whole videocard on the CPU. The actual card is just there to provide the VGA output connector.
It's so damn fast you won't realize is software rendering?

From what I recall they had some sort of early Z already in Xabre.

add in HSR, MSAA and what not and I'd say it's outright impossible for SiS to pull it off based on the whole Xabre ordeal

If Xabre II doesn't carry the same texture filtering problems as pretty much any of their parts in the past, it will have very good potential to compete in the mainstream and budget market segments.

Wanna bet FP24 or FP32 or whatever is done in a ridiculous number of clocks :D

That would be a funny architecture!
"Oh, sure, we work on 8 pixels at once, but they'll only be ready next year"

Uttar

Uttar said:
Wanna bet FP24 or FP32 or whatever is done in a ridiculous number of clocks :D

That would be a funny architecture!
"Oh, sure, we work on 8 pixels at once, but they'll only be ready next year"

Uttar

Xabre II will only sport FP24 ala R300

Regarding SiS and S3 claim about competitive high end cards:

I'm more that sceptical if for nothing else than for the fact they are value providers, where nVidia and ATI are much more in the innovator segment of business.

The key difference is the scale of the R&D and the high cost they thus have to get back. And both nVidia and ATI have world class R&D teams while the others really haven't.

Note that while nVidia and ATI are pushing their innovative products down to the mainstream and value segments, their main business focus to get profit is not low cost from the get-go but innovation.

I'm not saying that SiS or S3 can't get lucky, but they will most certainly need just that if the claim is to hold any water.

okay here comes my list of patented terms by different manufacturers:
nVidia:
- nDAC BlurVision

ATI:
- QuiteThereYet TV-Out technology.

SIS:
- Crapalizer Turbo Texturing

S3:
- AHT&L Technology (Almost Hardware Transfomation & Lightning)

Bitboys:
- NeverEnding Hardware Design Technology

Matrox:
- MDBOT Technology. (Management Doesn't Believe On This)

can't remember rest of these...
hopefully list has something for everyone.

Taken straight from XabreGamers (http://xabregamers.dgwh.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=166)

x2.jpg

Back