Xabre cards perform well in benchmarks... made by PowerVR!?!

parhelia

Newcomer
I can't believe this!!!
According to VR-Zone, the SiS Xabre beats all competition in benchmarks made by ... PowerVR !!!

In VillageMark, a bench designed by PowerVR to show the merits of HSR technology included in Kyro cards, the Xabre outshines all competition!!!

Villagemark1.gif

Here's another one :
Templemark.gif

I'm sure some of you will say "who cares? My Radeon 9700 owns you". But it's good to know when you see the Hercules Kyro II SE card at 149€ and the Xabre at 119€ next to it (prices in Paris store)...

http://www.xabre.com
http://www.xabregamers.cjb.net

What is so hard to believe? It is only being benched against the Gf 4MX and GF3 ti200.....

hum....
I don't see your point:
Yes, the SiS Xabre proves to be a very good budget card and also a very efficient card.
But what does that have to do with powerVR?
None of these graphs show PowerVR scores: ...
what is that comment about : hercules 4800 (KyroIISE) has to do with SiS Xabre?

The Highest PowerVR Score for
Villagemark=155fps
Templemark=106.5fps

of course, these numbers depend on your system:
in fact, Xabre is a pretty good budget card which will includes some DirectX8 features. It is definitely a good card, none of these are really surprises though...

-------------------------------------
George from KyroNet
http://kyro-net.paraknowya.net

> "beats all competition"

Well at least two cards by Nvidia anyway.

> "But it's good to know when you see the Hercules Kyro II SE card at 149? and the Xabre at 119? next to it (prices in Paris store)... "

Well how does it compare to the Kyro II SE card in those benchmarks, as no PowerVR card is listed in the graphs you showed?

> "Xabre at 119?"

Nice price, but instead of comparing with PowerVR, might be better to compare with the Radeon 9000 cards, as that is a DX8 capable card, and I understand that some of those cards will be priced around the price that the Xabre is priced at.

The problem with the Xabre is the last review I saw indicated rather drastically poor image quality as default, including rather markedly sloppy (in terms of the image seen on screen) filtering of textures. They then figured out how to turn off these default shortcuts and get better image quality (though I don't think they managed to get equivalent pixel shader precision), and the figures dropped significantly. That review didn't mention any of these things at all, and it seems safe to assume they performed them with the extreme amount of shortcuts turned on.

Perhaps it isn't as bad in later drivers, but in the absence of even a mention I wouldn't assume that at all. And yet again a review completely and utterly disappoints me.

Oh, that reminds me of ATi implying the 9000 is the first to market with AGP 8x...silly ATi, isn't the Xabre selling in stores now? However, though I'm not sure of the price of the 9000 in Euros, it seems the 9000 will still sort of blow the card away.

Let's not forget the Radeon 9000 is announced to cost between 169 € and 250 €...
Also the Triplex Xabre just hit retail. Once more are out, prices will go down

whoops anywya the 9000 is a interesting enigma of a card. It performs in some cases better than a 8500 , some cases worse, some cases the same . but with the 8500 being as cheap online as the 9000 Pro is retail I think the 8500 is the better buy for now

kyronet said:
hum....
I don't see your point:
Yes, the SiS Xabre proves to be a very good budget card and also a very efficient card.
But what does that have to do with powerVR?
None of these graphs show PowerVR scores: ...
what is that comment about : hercules 4800 (KyroIISE) has to do with SiS Xabre?

The Highest PowerVR Score for
Villagemark=155fps
Templemark=106.5fps

of course, these numbers depend on your system:

in fact, Xabre is a pretty good budget card which will includes some DirectX8 features. It is definitely a good card, none of these are really surprises though...

-------------------------------------
George from KyroNet
http://kyro-net.paraknowya.net

Actually I've got higher Villagemark scores: 161fps @ 1024x768x32

And my fablemark scores are 42.8fps which I believe are one of the highest if not the highest. K2 SE @ 217Mhz on an Athlon 1gig@1.433

This goes to show that SiS HSR technique ("Frictionless memory Control") is very effective indeed, almost as good as PowerVR's TBR...

Parhelia, why do you still insist on stating that these benchmarks "prove" that the Xabre is as good as a PVR tiler? There are no Kyro chip results anywhere in those tests to be seen so how can you make the comparison?

demalion said:
The problem with the Xabre is the last review I saw indicated rather drastically poor image quality as default, including rather markedly sloppy (in terms of the image seen on screen) filtering of textures. They then figured out how to turn off these default shortcuts and get better image quality (though I don't think they managed to get equivalent pixel shader precision), and the figures dropped significantly.

I remember that, too. That's why I was waiting for a review that also examined visual quality. It's strange that people have been so positive about the Xabre without a complete review, especially with how poorly the default rendering was on the last one. It's possible that SiS did fix some problems in the earlier Xabre or permanently turned off the performance optimizations. But we won't know until someone does a thorough review.

Back