X850 XT-PE AGP review

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Richard, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

[h] posted a review of this card (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzYw). What was interesting was that in D3 it basically matched a GF6800U OC. Of course, considering [h]'s review system that doesn't tell us much. I'd like to see other resolutions, etc. But assuming there hasn't been any errors in the process it's nice to be able to show that D3 doesn't play favourites. The SC3 scores are also interesting if you look past the same review handicap.

Dave, can we expect a review of this card from you?

2. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Its sitting on my desk at the moment...

3. dan2097

Regular

Theyre tangibly at odds to the ones posted by firingsquad:
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_x850xt_agp/page11.asp

although hardocps testing looked pretty solid

Could be the X800s handle fsaa better on splinter cell chaos theory

4. kyleb

Veteran

The way they explain that is pretty damn crappy, as it isn't an ATI render problem but a SM1.1 problem and the Nvidia cards or any other will have the exact same issure when running the SM1.1 path. I can't help but wonder if Brent is ignorent of this fact or if this is simply a case of the [H] feeding from Nvidia's trough again. :?

5. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Hmm... I can't find firingsquad's remarks for SC (wether SM 1.1 is used for GF6, etc.). Perhaps they're running with HDR on, etc?

Dave: thanks; looking forward to it.

6. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Good review: thorough and well-documented.

Well, assuming the numbers are right. :)

The SCCT IQ problem looks a lot like what the FX series experienced in Far Cry.

7. hovz

Regular

dave when u do the review can u compare it to nvidia cards? rather pointless to compare it to other ati cards

8. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

hovz, make your mouse click heard here.

Anyway, if [H]'s numbers are wrong, then what's the term for this?

"The [6600GT] delivered good scores on 3DMark05 at both 1,280-by-1,024 (2,181) and 1,600-by-1,200 (2179) resolutions." - PCMag's April 26th issue, p. 38

:)

9. IbaneZ

Regular

Can't say i'm surprised. I'm happy with the speed in Doom 3 with my X850XT, but it looks like crap compared to a 6800. And good graphics is all that game is about, so optimizing too much is bad mkay. :) But as long hardware sites use the game to compare cards it'll continue of course.
    I hope R520 will have enough power to run D3E based games as they are supposed to run and and look. :wink:

10. Rys

Rys Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I've not long finished an R481 vs R430 + RIALTO comparison article, previewing X850 XT PE and X800 XL at the same time (thanks for the XL, Dave!).

I've got no NV40s on AGP atm, though, so I left out competetive analysis with NV hardware. It's reminded me to get a 6800U on AGP again, at least :lol:

Looking forward to a B3D peek.

11. kyleb

Veteran

What optimizing do you see having a negitive effect on image quality?

12. IbaneZ

Regular

Well, playing D3 with AI enabled makes the game look pretty faded and just..bleh. :)
    It's not easy to notice when comparing screenshots, but in game you see it instantly.
    Sure, you can always disable AI, but the performance hit is huge. Sad to see a card with such a high fillrate suffer so badly. :?

13. wireframe

Veteran

Would you mind expanding a bit on this for those of us who have not seen Doom 3 running on an X800? I'm especially curious about what you mean with the difference in the static and moving image.

One reason why I ask this is because I am seeing lots of reviews showing the x850XT performing on par with the Geforce 6800 Ultra and I am not sure how we went from the 6800 being an absolute king in this to being tied. What really bothers me about this is how there doesn't seem to be some general remarks about this. Surely, if the X850XT is as good in Doom 3 as a 6800 Ultra, there would be even less reason not to crown the x800 king for the moment. This "king status" has been hanging in the balance since launch and I am just puzzled how ATI's Doom 3 performance seems to have doubled without so much as a cheer (except for those I recall when Humus first provided the hack to increase peformance slightly).

14. kyleb

Veteran

I am curious for clarifcation about the image qauallity difference as well. I have always dissabled AI due to issues it causes with other games so I can't speak from much experience with regards to how it effects Doom3, but I ran a few quick benchmarks with it on and didn't notice a visual difference. On the other hand, I can attest to perforamce differences; dissabling AI resulted in over a 20% peformace drop in the tests I ran.

15. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Has anyone published pics showing the same specular problems that [H] had in SC:CT? Looking at B3D's shots in Nick's SC:CT benching article and FS's shots in Brandon's first benching article, the artifacts aren't (as?) evident.

16. kyleb

Veteran

Its just that [H] showed some of the worst case senerios. It really does look that bad in the spots they show, but most places it isn't nearly that evident.

17. Altcon

Regular

I can't say much for the X800's on D3 but what I can say is that since 5.1 drivers my 9700 pro (shortly before I accidently murdered it) displayed washed out and fuzzy textures when any level of AI was turned on.
    It was easily resolved by turining all the OpenGL texture settings to quality and disabeling AI-I even mailed ATI about this issue.