X800XT/X600XT PCI-E performance preview

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by kemosabe, Jun 20, 2004.

1. kemosabe

Veteran

At FiringSquad

As expected, no current benefit for gamers with the PCI-E platform. Decent performance improvement for the X600XT over the 9600XT thanks to the memory clock boost. From a business perspective, this was perhaps the most interesting among Brandon's concluding comments:

"On the high-end, ATI is the only manufacturer shipping PCI Express parts to OEM and SI channels -- every NVIDIA board partner we talked to at Computex mentioned a late summer timeframe for NVIDIA’s GeForce 6800-based PCI Express parts. This fact, coupled with good yields on X800 XT and X800 XT Platinum Edition cores, means that ATI won’t be producing a PCI Express X800 PRO board of their own. ATI must feel that without any competition and good production, there just isn’t any need to hurt their margins by producing their own X800 PRO boards. This is a pretty comfortable position to be in if you’re ATI. Fortunately other board partners will be producing PCI Express X800 PROs, we saw quite a few on display at Computex."

2. Richteralan

Regular

I'd only expect some performance gain after next generation(NV50).
    Maybe I'm too conservative. :)

3. jvd

jvd
    Banned

na we wont see anything till a game comes out taht makes use of it. I think the speed both ways will help alot. But it will be awhile

4. sleepless

Newcomer

I wonder if PCI-E advantages with the current generation of games are that it will allow for a higher minimum framerates.
    I would be interested in seeing a showdown measuring minimum frame rates with AGP vs. PCI-E.

5. keegdsb

Newcomer

It turned out exactly as expected, but I'm still disappointed with the X600XT. :(