[x700XT vs 6600GT] 6 Vertex Shaders will it matter?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by dcc, Sep 22, 2004.

1. dcc

dcc
    Newcomer

Hello, can you help me?

The new x700XT boast twice the vertex shaders over 6600GT, a very big difference. Will it help in which types of games? The current benchmarks i seen do not indicate any usefulness. Nvidia have SM2.0 in 6600GT, will that matter more for new games?

Why are both cards 128bit and my 9800XT is at 256bit. How come the 9800XT lose by some margain and also the x700XT? From your 3D charts, the 6600GT has the least bandwidth at 16GB/s, the 9800XT 23GB/s and x700XT 33GB/s. What will it matter over the long run?

I want to change card because my 9800XT is hot in my humid climate. I hate the rendering bugs of my overheating 9800XT. Hard[op]s mentioned that x700XT is very hot too. I also have some driver problems with 9800XT that i didnt with old GF4Ti.

Is my choice of 6600GT as replacement right? How about if i buy x700pro and overclock it? It will add to my dreaded heat problems, but i can get it cheaper. How is overclocking of x700pro?

Thank you.

2. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

Well you can look at it another way to VS3.0 which can do texture looks VS VS2.0a which can't.

3. jvd

jvd
    Banned

This right here tells me you want to go back to nvidia so just go back to it .

YOur 9800xt wlil run very cool with a 30$ vga silencer on it . Or you can get an older silencer for 10$

The x700xt is hot , it has a tiny ass heatsink . i highly doubt the 6600gt would run any cooler considering its bigger and clocked higher .

You will get a performance increase moving from the 9800xt to these new cards but it wont be a huge gain. I would say wait till the refreshes of the x700s and 6600s

4. Smurfie

Newcomer

Not so simple, Jvd.

Things which used to overclock nicely when I was in LA, simply died when I came to Singapore to work. He might have a point on the heat issue, as my colleague here couldn't even get his 6800GT to overclock even the slightest past 350MHz.

Humidity and hot weather makes cooling difficult, even with large airflow. Coming up with creative cooling techniques like peltiers and vaporchill causes condensation problems.

But to the OP, getting the 6600GT might not help with any overclocking either. Just pick the one you would feel more comfortable with.

5. jvd

jvd
    Banned

smurfie . I don't see the 6600gt or the x700xt running much cooler than the 9800xt . They might be smaller but they are clocked higher and have smaller heatsinks .

svc.com has a huge heatsink that is a heatpipe nad brings the hot air to the back of the card or he can use a vga silencer.

If he has heat problems a card that puts out the same heat if not more wont do much of a diffrence

6. jimmyjames123

Regular

First of all, the X700XT has a 128 bit bus, so bandwith is 16.5GB/s, half of what you quoted. Secondly, 6600GT is an SM 3.0 part, not simply SM 2.0. Third, vertex shader power is only one element of performance, possibly less critical than pixel shader power in new games, and the 6600GT generally has superior pixel shading power over the X700XT according to Shadermark 2.0.

7. Scali

Regular

Another thing that 6600 offers is shadowmap support in hardware.
    This could well be the next big thing. 3DMark05 is going to use shadowmaps, UE3.0 is going to use them, Carmack's next engine is going to use them, etc...

I wonder how things will turn out, but NV could have a leg up on the competition in the next generation of games.
    It depends on two things I suppose:
    - When will these new games arrive?
    - Will ATi support shadowmaps too, and if so, will they be in time?

8. Ichneumon

Regular

The 6 vertex shading units ought to make a big difference for performance in CAD and other professional apps on the cards though. They don't need all that extra bandwidth anyway... could make for a nice low-end pro card.

9. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't personally change from a former high end to a today's mainstream card (within two generations).

The market is moving extremely fast and prices will inevitably drop soon enough; I'd rather wait until current high end cards get more affordable (not absolutely high end) and get a real upgrade :wink:

10. Sxotty

Veteran

JVD read the article on X-bit labs, the 9800XR was ridiculous in the amount of power and heat. The x800 have less heat, so it is pretty likely that the x700 does as well.

11. Bjorn

Veteran

Me neither, at least not if i had a 9800. If i on the other hand had a 5900...

12. Ostsol

Veteran

Well, I think the DirectX specification kinda makes this difficult for ATI. From what I've read, they emulate support for it in the programmable fragment pipeline in OpenGL. There's no reason why it can't be done on ATI cards, even in DirectX. It simply can't be done in the same way as NVidia cards can.

13. dcc

dcc
    Newcomer

Yes the heat matters here. 9800XT can run up to over 80 CELSIUS here! :shock:

I know upgrading from 9800XT to 6600GT and x700XT is not the fastest, but my PC hardware is only 3200 Barton and AGP8X, i am facing bottlenecks everywhere. I just want a cooler card and since both of them are quite faster too, why not? A full upgrade will not come until late next year when the new transition phase have stabilised.

Most benchmarks are won by 6600GT while 6VS hardware of X700XT looks promising. I need some views on whether the 6VS will matter in the long run with newer games and better drivers. If it does, the hotter X700 i will try my luck again. I can readily use NVIDIA or ATI hardware.

14. ondaedg

Regular

I would go with whichever card excels at the games you like to play. For example, if you're a big Doom3 fan, get the 6600gt. If you like a game that ATI cards are faster, then get the ATI card. It's simply a matter of choosing the one that will serve you. They're both good cards so it is tough to say to just generally get one over the other.

15. Blastman

Newcomer

I find it odd, that in the xbit X700 review, in 3Dmark3 game 4, which is suppose to have lots of complex pixel shaders, the X700 beat the 6600GT handily. How is that possible since the GT has much better pixel-shader power????

16. Ostsol

Veteran

*shrugs* Analyzing this would be much easier if the reviewer had included the results for the purely synthetic parts of 3dMark03.

17. Evildeus

Veteran

The issue is vertex shaders!

18. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

It's somewhat odd, but then I just don't trust nV's synthetic numbers, as I believe they're optimizing for any widely-used synthetic. It's possible that they just can't squeeze extra performance out of GT4's code.

It's also possible they're still cutting corners (see post #14).

19. jvd

jvd
    Banned

because the 6600gt doesn't have much better pixel shader power .

20. Seiko

Newcomer

Isn't the IQ quality still superior on the ATI boards with temporal FSAA and good AF? I know alot of sites are calling it a dead heat with static screen shots etc but the more informed seemed to continually give the nod to ATI with gamma corrected TAA.

If you want the best IQ may be the ATI board is the one for you?