X1800 swapped for 7900GT/GTO

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Quitch

Veteran

Recently my brother had his 256MB ATI X1800 swapped for a 256MB nVidia 7900GT/GTO (unsure which) owing to the complete failure of the former. Having done a quick check the claim be the vendor that this should be "slightly faster" looks to be right, but I'm looking for verification in case I need to protest loudly and produce graphs :)

2. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Don't touch a GeForce 7 with a barge pole - performance in newer games sucks (it has dropped off faster than 1XXX series cards), it lacks FP16+AA, and last summer Nivida introduced a "bug" (in both Vista and XP series drivers) where after resuming from standby or suspend the GPU fan runs at full speed.

The latter point is particularly grating as the 7900 GTO/GTX were marketed as being practically silent cards and have big, now very noisy fans in them. I believe the same issue exists with the 7900 GT. Nvidia haven't even acknowledge the issue, and you can't get so much as a peep out of them.

I'd insist on an another X1800 or X1950 Pro instead. Check out the performance on the Toms Hardware GPU comparison chart, and see how you like the look of things.

A 7900 GTO is a BIOS-re-flashed (slightly downgraded) 7900 GTX and only comes in a 512MB variety. A 7900 GT is significantly slower and at 256MB will pay a potentially very significant penalty if you use more video ram than that - ATI cards seem to be better at dealing with that kind of thing.

[Edit] In short, a 7900 GTO might be worth putting up with if you can stand the broken drivers, but a 7900 GT, no way. On earth. A 7900 GTO is a big, dual slot card with a full on 8cm fan in the middle, you can tell instantly by looking. Good luck![/Edit]

#2 function, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  3. Davros

Legend

i take it the swap was done because of warranty
    if so first check the supplier has no ati cards then make up some excuse as to why it has to be an ati card (eg. i only bought the card to play crimson skies with and it doesnt work with nvidia cards)
    demand a refund and buy a card from another supplier
    the price of a x1800 back then should easy cover an 8800gts or greater (much better card) or an ati equiv

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

At the very VERY least they should trade it for a X1900 variant with 256 megs of memory. I'd imagine that would be easier for them to aquire than an X1800 variant of any memory size.

And if they won't do that then make a fuss until you get the money refunded and get a better card. Either a 9600 series or 3850/70 would serve you far better.

Heck if they balk at refunding money. Suggest one of those cards I just mentioned as a somewhat fair replacement. They are all cheaper than the X1800 was, and all perform better. Even if they will only fork over a replacement to a 3850 with 256 megs of ram, that's still a far better deal than being stuck with a 7900 GT/GTO.

Regards,
    SB

5. Quitch

Veteran

The card is part of an OEM machine, so I don't see the money angle playing, but certainly it sounds like putting together a case of some kind is worth it.

6. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

a different GPU vendor is quite a major change. I'm happy with NV4x/G7x but there are trade offs. lower power usage, great drivers and software environment (I use 93.71 forceware with older control panel, registry setting to enable refresh rate forcing, ,3D stereo, nhancer and rivatuner. no great need for latest driver with a four-year-old architecture), 8xS and 16xS AA modes.

but the issues are : worse texture filtering, potential performance issue in newer games (though X1800 may have a deficit in pixel shading power), change in driver/software (for the better IMO but still you don't get what you had before), you lose 6x MSAA.