X-Box (Original) - I'm Just Now Getting 1, Have Questions: Games, Controllers, etc.

bigsilly

Newcomer
Hello!

Thanks to an exceptionally kind member of this forum who has decided to donate his formerly closet-bound X-Box to me, I will soon own an original X-Box. This will be the first new system I've had since I got my Sega32x -- I haven't played anything new in consoles in a long time! :) I never even had a PSX, though I did play the emulator of it for a couple months, some years ago.

Anyway, to get to my question -

I'm acquiring this X-Box primarily as a result of my fondness for "Crimson Skies", the PC version of which is not compatible in Direct3D acceleration mode with my NVIDIA hardware. I've got a somewhat nice flight-simulator setup for my PC, consisting of a CH Products Fighterstick and ProPedals, both USB (though seperately cabled, as they are distinct devices).

Whereas these devices are both USB, can I plug them into my X-Box and use them as game controllers? I've noticed that there are two "X-Box Flight Joysticks" available - are these my only options? Seems a bit silly to have USB but still require proprietary peripherals! Not to mention the fact that console-only peripherals, in comparison to the brands available for PC, are made cheaply in comparison -- I'd really prefer to be able to use the higher-quality PC stuff, somehow...

If those two joysticks (specifically for X-Box) are, in fact, my only options, can anyone here with experience of either (or both) recommend one over the other?

Thirdly, can anyone recommend any other X-Box/Console-only games (that is, games that did not come out on the PC) that I ought to get? I'm clueless when it comes to any recent games. I will mention, however, that I played Halo on PC, and am not interested in Halo 2 for the X-Box, so you needn't recommend that particular game.
Also, if there are any other flight-simulation or flight-based games for X-Box that might interest me, please recommend those especially. :) I've already played "Secret Weapons Over Normandy" on PC and didn't think it very fun, so you needn't recommend that one either.

Finally, if you've any other helpful information regarding getting started with X-Box, I'd appreciate any information or links you could offer. Thank you!

Whereas these devices are both USB, can I plug them into my X-Box and use them as game controllers?
Nope. While the Xbox's connectors are "technically" USB, they don't have the same plug format, and games won't support it regardless even if you could jury rig a connector.
I've noticed that there are two "X-Box Flight Joysticks" available - are these my only options? Seems a bit silly to have USB but still require proprietary peripherals!
Not silly at all from MS's perspective - they want you to buy _their_ branded peripherals of course. Bear in mind with modern consoles, the manufacturer makes money on licensing, with the software (you can't just make a game for a console - it has to be vetted and approved by the console maker, which takes a cut of the profit from each sale) and peripherals - the main console unit usually takes a loss early in its lifespan (with the Xbox, during the entire duration of its existence!). So of course they don't want to use your existing hardware, no $$ for them. :(
If those two joysticks (specifically for X-Box) are, in fact, my only options, can anyone here with experience of either (or both) recommend one over the other?
Sorry, don't have experience with them.

I will say though that it wouldn't make much difference - Crimson Skies Xbox is quite a different beast than the PC version. While it's more graphically impressive, it's far more arcadish in terms of the flight model - it's really made for the Xbox's gamepad and not a flightstick. The PC version was far more a flight simulator with combat, whereas the Xbox version is basically an arcade-style aerial combat game with higher production values.

Both games share the title, backstory and environment - but that's about it. They're quite different. Still, I enjoyed it, it's a good game but in some aspects I miss the PC version - would have loved to see Crimson Skies II for the PC with an updated engine.
Thirdly, can anyone recommend any other X-Box/Console-only games (that is, games that did not come out on the PC) that I ought to get? I'm clueless when it comes to any recent games. I will mention, however, that I played Halo on PC, and am not interested in Halo 2 for the X-Box, so you needn't recommend that particular game.
You should try Hal- er, never mind.

Xbox-only games I would recommend:

Mercenaries
Burnout 3 (very arcade, but tons of fun and still looks good today)
Rallisport Challenge 2
Kung Fu Chaos
Jet Set Radio Future (may be very difficult to find)
Ninja Gaiden Black (tough, but a must-have IMO)
Psi Ops
SSX 1-3

It would help if you list your PC specs, as I've skipped over a lot of games that are available on the PC - but if you have a very old PC, then the Xbox versions may be better.

Also, if there are any other flight-simulation or flight-based games for X-Box that might interest me, please recommend those especially. :)
Consoles aren't really the place for flight-simulation games, not necessarily Flight Simulator but even the simpler combat-oriented flight games are somewhat "dumbed down" on consoles. If you're really into that genre, you already own the platform where it excels.

Yes, it's a shame that Microsoft seems determined to focus on games development for X-Box360 to the detriment of Windows gamers. But with Zipper Interactive shut up anyway, I don't think any future Crimson Skies-themed games are going to be very good (especially with a Dreamworks movie on the way; movie-games just aren't done well as a rule.)

Ok, thanks for your recommendations. I don't mind "dumbed down" flight games, so long as they offer good gameplay, but, yeah, I don't think anything can match the original Crimson Skies for action-oriented flying; even the more recent PC action-flight games don't come close.

I'll check out the other games you've mentioned, thanks.

And also thanks for clearing up the question of peripherals. I'll try playing X-Box Crimson Skies with the gamepad and see how I take to it.

I second Jet Set Radio Future and Ninja Gaiden Black and add Panzer Dragoon Orta. And you already have Crimson Skies. Those are my only top games on the XBox. JSRF isn't hard to find you can get it at Amazon.com used cheap, although the most common version of the game is the one that comes bundled with Sega GT 2002, but who can object to an extra free game.

Hi! Well, the X-Box arrived, in pristine condition. I've rather enjoyed it so far, although it was kind of disappointing not being able to play DVD's (apparently you've got to buy a kit to watch them.) The X-Box Crimson Skies is pretty fun - not as great as the PC version, but a close second. :)
When it comes to finding used X-Box games for cheap, I guess my best option is eBay?

EDIT: Actually, if anyone who has a number of these old games and/or the DVD Kit would like to try to arrange something with me, please send a PM, we'll see if anything sounds mutually agreeable. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The X-Box Crimson Skies is pretty fun - not as great as the PC version, but a close second. :)
The console version is a shadow of the PC version and the perfect example of what consoles have done to gaming but it's still a fun game. I love the Crimson Skies universe.
When it comes to finding used X-Box games for cheap, I guess my best option is eBay?
Join the classic gaming club! I've been buying up lots of Saturn games off eBay. Also check out Amazon.com's marketplace(when you see an item you want click on the 'used & new' link), Amazon's advantage is that the shipping is set by Amazon so no sellers will gouge you in shipping prices like at eBay.

Hi Vazel! Yes, I was quite disappointed with the many "sci fi" elements in the X-Box Crimson Skies, and the story didn't come off as very "1930's pulp." The CGI cinematics were quite out-of-place, also. A couple other problems, too - but on the whole it was enjoyable. I still feel like the game insulted my intelligence often, though....and it was much too short!

I hear that number 3 is in the works now, and while I do hope that they'll bring the game back nearer its roots as a PnP RPG, I don't realistically seeing an XBox-360 game taking that route - especially with FASA (not Zipper) at the helm.

Anyway, ok! I'll keep an eye on Amazon. Gamestop also had some good prices. I'm only looking to acquire about a half-dozen games, and that DVD Kit as cheaply as I can manage to get it.

Back