wrt the You've Got to Be Kidding Me locked thread...

Tagrineth

murr
Veteran
I have to point out, Emulators are _NOT!_ illegal. They are only illegal if there were official, non-public technical documents used without the parent company's consent (so if a GC emulator author procured an official GC hardware manual from Nintendo which normally would never leave Nintendo HQ - and used information from that manual to make the emulator - it would be illegal).

Emulators as a whole, however, are legal. Period. No matter what game companies might want you to think. It's the commercial games people pirate to use with them that are illegal.

Emulators are legal.

ROMS ARE NOT

End of story, Tag is right. I would love to see a moderator lock a moderators topic.

In my years of moderating different places(Gamefaqs, chat channels) I've come to know this.

ibl!
I think enough people have pushed the mods into a corner where now the consequences will be increased locked threads, even though there might be some room for comprimise.

later,
epic

Not only it's some kind of internet opinion that emulators are legal, it's been proven several times on court, last of which being bleem! vs Sony (which Sony of course lost)

jvd said:
Heh do we need yet another friggen thread about this . Once again this is posted in the wrong forum and This will be moved to the site feed back forum. If anyone bothered to read what i posted when I locked the thread they might understand. I said I did not know if this was allowed and when I found out if it was or not I would unlock it or leave it locked depending on what the answer was from the aboves. I have yet to recive and answer from them and really . This is just rediculous. This is the 3rd post about this and none of these posts have anything to do with consoles. If there is a problem post about it in the proper forum. Site feedback.

Now if we could only get ppl to actually read site feedback - just look at the view numbers. Why can't we post discussions about a forum in the forum itself? Is it because less people read the complants here, so there is less pressure to actually do something?

Anyways...

My two cents is there should be a clear set of rules posted prominently somewhere, so at least I could understand the mod actions taking place, instead of dismissing them as arbitrary decisions loosely correlated with the phase of the moon.

nondescript said:
Now if we could only get ppl to actually read site feedback - just look at the view numbers. Why can't we post discussions about a forum in the forum itself? Is it because less people read the complants here, so there is less pressure to actually do something?

Anyways...

My two cents is there should be a clear set of rules posted prominently somewhere, so at least I could understand the mod actions taking place, instead of dismissing them as arbitrary decisions loosely correlated with the phase of the moon.
As I said I was not sure if it was legal or not. What would you have done in the situation ? As for moving things here . That is the point of this forum. THe reason why there aren't many views here is simply the fact that only few people have problems.

nondescript said:

Better yet, how about a "closed topic log" topic held somewhere (Site Feedback forum?) where a mod can make an entry announcing the title of a newly closed topic, identify him(her)self, and a short bleeb to give an idea of their thinking process at the time which lead to their locking it. This would be a mod-only posting topic (a discussion could be opened in a new topic if the topic author wishes to dispute). Hopefully, that will introduce a sense of accountibility to this topic locking sport.

Technically ROMs you yourself create are legal, so long as you have the original. ;) It's just the distribution of them to others isn't, even if they also own the original.

Laws are funny. Heh...

Paul said:
Emulators are legal.

ROMS ARE NOT

End of story, Tag is right.

that's not the entire story.

illegal ROMs are NOT.

but a few legal ROMs exists also.
(you should know that.. it's because of them all this people buy copying device for GBA ;))

not that i does really change the picture ;)

As I said, I'm pretty sure self-created ROMs are not illegal in the slightest (meaning basically that they have not been brought up and defeated in court) and fall into the realm of Fair Use. It has no market impact and can certainly count as a "backup copy" which people are certainly entitled to create. So far as I know, the distribution of any emulators and the programs/equipment to MAKE ROMs is not illegal either, since they are merely the tools needed for people to make legal backups (albeit in different form--but that is meaningless.)

The distribution or obtaining of OTHER people's ROM's, however, would be where the problem lies, since there is potential "market impact" from them, and it is not a matter of a person making their own copy of their own legally owned merchandise.

Of course as everybody knows, there's little companies will do to you ANYway, as not only is it not worth chasing people down for ROMs of old works (and USUALLY they are all pretty old and outdated--GBA emulation being rather an exception), but to actually do something they would have to take these folk to court, and in there could certainly be some bad press coming from that--not to mention the possibility of LOSING a case and creating legal precident to just make matters worse. (Sony vs. Connectix gives a bit of warning to matters such as this.)

Laws are still funny. :)

Back