Wrong 3D Mark Score with WinXP and / without ACPI

Hah... :LOL:

Dude, just because its different doesn't mean its "wrong". In fact, I'm sure those scores are right as rain. ACPI affects how your system allocates resources to different devices (including video cards), which is certainly going to affect performance.

Never said it was wrong.. but u remove a lot of things when u get rid of ACPI

and from personal experience getting ACPI back (if say u needed it) meant a format .. eek!

i did it the cheap way tho

c:\> deltree c:\windows

and then installed XP again... boy that was a nightmare.. ;)

You don't need to delete WinXP / W2k, you can simply reinstall Windows and choose if you want to install it with, or without ACPI.

Thomas

Hi Thomas

I tried that but it wouldnt work in my case.

Anyway this was a while ago and I reinstall XP every now and then anyway so it was no biggy.... why did I have to try and re-enable ACPI? Because my IRQ's got fudged royally after installing ATi drivers and VIA 4-in1's at the same time... had no CD and DVD drive no matter what I tried.

Not a good combo, 4-in-1 and er old ATi drivers ;)

Never had any probs with WinXP and ACPI. (SiS735 mainboard, ATi Radeon 8500, some other cards...)

Thomas

The article describes an easy way to switch ACPI off and reenable it again. Just set a system restore point in WinXP, disable it as described, test, then restore to the prior restore point. I did that when I installed the SP1 beta and it cleanly removed it.

You can switch ACPI on/off in Win2K by swapping out the processor HAL. Just make sure you don't have the wrong HAL with the wrong bios setting, as it blue-screens on boot that way.

I haven't checked XP to see if you can swap out the processor HAL the same way as 2K.

Back