Write a 3D graphics feature for Custom PC magazine

Ben_CustomPC

Newcomer
Hi,

As you can probably guess from the subject line, I'm trying to find someone who can write a feature for Custom PC magazine about graphics cards, and I thought these forums would be a good place to fish around. It's going to be a large feature, and the idea is to explain how 3D graphics technology works in an understandable way. We've already covered the basics in previous features, so the purpose of this one will be to explain exactly how shader technology works, the differences between DIrectX 8 and 9, why there are always fewer vertex shaders than pixel shaders, what exactly the do in games etc. We're also going to be explaining things like 3dc and Shader Model 3, and what difference they make to games.

Obviously, there's going to be much more to it than this, but that's the basic gist of it. What we need is someone (prefereably a developer) who really knows this technology inside out and uses it regularly. From the journalism side it's often difficult to tell the difference between the spin we get from ATi and Nvidia, and what features are actually genuinely useful, so we really want to get someone who knows their stuff completely.

If you reckon you could do the job (the deadline is in two weeks time and isn't flexible), and also have a decent understanding of English and writing, then please email me (ben@custompc.co.uk) and we'll sort something out. You will, of course, also get paid for it.

Ben

digitalwanderer said:
Pay in real money? Or just them "pound" thingies? :|

Well, obviously it'll be in pounds, but we can also sort out an international money transer at the exchange rate - so it'll go straight into a US bank account in dollars for example.

Nice to hear that a more general I.T. website wants to cover this field in greater detail. General awareness of 3D methodologies, coding practices etc is going to become far more pervasive as Longhorn approaches.

I nominate Dave Baumann. He never seems busy enough - I think he only has a couple of full time jobs. Plus, he knows more than anybody about 3D industry collectables and confectionery.

*cough*DaveBaumann*cough*

Actually, I was thinking Mr. Deano C. But he's already busy, aren't you? ;)

MasterBaiter said:
What about you MuFu? :D

lol, (assuming you're serious) I don't know nearly enough about the industry or 3D graphics. Plus I've got five exams and a skiing holiday in the next couple of weeks so I wouldn't even have time to plagarise Beyond3D articles and claim them as my own.

I would also think that Dave would be the best choice along with Deano Claver. Both have a great understanding and a gift of being able to translate very technical concepts into plain English.

Isn't Custom PC the magazine that reviewed a load of PSUs and confused power factor with efficiency? (rating some PSUs with near 100% efficiency kind of stuck out like a sore thumb...) Perhaps this is learning from the feedback from that! (Should've talked to MikeC at Silent PC Review first :))

But you've certainly come to the right place to get an authoritative article without spin. Your mag would go up greatly in my estimation if an article by DaveBaumann was featured (I might even buy it!)

Gnep

If you mean was Custom PC the first publication in the UK to scientifically labs test PSUs (rather than looking at the box and guessing) then yes ;)

As to the article on PSUs it seems you misread it. It clearly states that we tested the PFC effeciency - not the overall effeciency of the PSU.

lizard said:
If you mean was Custom PC the first publication in the UK to scientifically labs test PSUs (rather than looking at the box and guessing) then yes ;)

As to the article on PSUs it seems you misread it. It clearly states that we tested the PFC effeciency - not the overall effeciency of the PSU.
Good comeback. 8)

I would love to read an article like that by Dave B or John R, either I think could do it justice.

Heck, Hanners would do a good job on an article like that too and would probably make it easier to understand. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Reverend said:
I'll nominate myself.

I'll write the article in 10 sentences.
Ha! I don't think they want one that is condescending and belittling to their intended audience. ;)
Or to hear every paragraph prefaced with “In my email’s with John Carmack...â€￾ ;) :LOL:

nelg said:
Or to hear every paragraph prefaced with “In my email’s with John Carmack...â€￾ ;) :LOL:
Yeah, if I did it at least it would say “In me email’s with John Carmack...â€￾
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

A slightly on-topic question to Ben, how many people so far have contacted you privately about this post? I'm guessing about 5-6 so far.

Back