WoW Battlegrounds Finally LIVE!!!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Guden Oden, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Oh, well, not in europe. Yet. Not for another 35 minutes or so, hee hee!

This is probably my most awaited feature of the game ever. Sort of games within the game! Are there any other MMO with something like these battlegrounds? I know WoW "borrowed" heavily from the general MMO gameplay formula, but this looks like a fairly unique feature...

Wonder how laggy today will be? :D Wonder how long it will take to download the patch as well, blech! :p It must be friggin huuuge.

Patch system btw is the biggest headache with WoW so far. There have been at least six patches now, and they're all cumulative meaning they must be installed one after the other, and each time you MUST log in again inbetween them and agreeing to the fecking EULA again. Agreeing TWICE even, which doesn't make sense at all. Makes re-installing the game a real pain as it can't be done unsupervised, and each time it patches something it reads ALL the gamefiles and verifies them. Takes ages even on a fast box.

Blizzard really needs to consolidate patches into one single so that freshly installed players don't have to spend hours downloading and patching the game before they can play it again. This is one of the bigger reasons I don't want to reinstall windows actually. :p

Anyway, anyone tried battlegrounds yet? What didja think? :D

2. rainz

Veteran

50mb the patch ..

And is it similar to GW battleground for dueling PvP ?

RainZ

3. DOGMA1138

Regular

ya!
    its awesome, too bad there are only 2 instanced alterac`s, and a 3h queue for each, but the warsong CTF queue is mush shorter, and its much more fun...
    and the best part is that BG`s make earning honor very easy, after 2 warsong runs i got a bit over 5.1hps...

4. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

I gave up on trying to join warsong gulch. This queue system is a joke, and two instances for an entire server is a worse joke. Bleh!

But there's a day tomorrow too. Or indeed later tonight! :D I have to pop out to get something to eat now, but after that then ahl be bahk.

5. Sabastian

Regular

Heh, can't wait to do some Hord grinding with my lvl60 lock.. ;)

Its really fun I played it on the test server.. If you like PvP you'll love the BGs.

6. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

I got one match in warsong where us allies kicked the hordes' butts, we won the match three-nil! It was really fun hehe. They had more level 60s than us (like half their team seemed to be level 60... :p), and we STILL kicked their butts, yay! :D

I was there with my level 56 hunter, it was awesome and I got 31HKs, hehe.

And now the login server is f*cked. Can't get back in, DAMN. :D

*Edit:
    Oh frig's sakes. Now my I can log in, but my server is signalled as down! Typical. :p

7. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

why is wow still having so much login problems? Is it just because of this new patch?

epic

8. Sabastian

Regular

Hrm, don't know about that issue epic. Don't have any login problems except for when they bring the servers down. ;) I had no problem with the patch.. d/l started wow .. right back in there. Some people were having latency problems but I didn't. Might just be your server. High population?

9. silhouette

Regular

I never had any problems either.. I guess it depends on which servers you are playing in... Guden: is that one an EU server? Btw, I always play in Lothar in US.

10. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

My server had some hiccup and it crashed, was down for about an hour. Everybody got booted it seems. The game usually works really great, maybe there was some hack attack or a router died or something, I dunno.

I did get another try at warsong tho, it wasn't as easy the second time (we lost 1:0) but I still got a bunch of HKs and had fun. Was a horde player that didn't die even ONCE, and he had three flag grabs too, I have no idea how the heck he made it without dying...

11. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

hehe, im not in wow yet. Im still debating which i should join wow, or guild war. Ill probably decide in the next few days. I was just commenting on what guden posted.

epic

12. CJ

CJ
    Regular

I've played both PvP areas in WoW. And imo they can't match PvP in Guild Wars. Capture The Flag is a joke compared to Capture The Relic in Guild Wars or any other PvP-mode in Guild Wars. I miss the strategic element (thinking about what skills to bring to battle and combining them with your teammates skills to do even more damage) and high paced action. And mostly everyone is playing to get their own ranking up instead of playing as a team.

This just feels like Blizzard bolted on a PvP part to be competitive to Guild Wars. And knowing that ArenaNet was at the start of World of Warcraft (former team lead/lead programmer + person who created the first 3D engine for WoW), it just looks like Blizzard took their ideas out of the fridge and integrated them back into WoW.

Mind you, I love WoW for it's PvE and raidinstances, but the Battlegrounds just don't compare to a real PvP game like Guild Wars.