Would you mind seeing Intellitxt 'in-line contextual' adverts on the site and forums?

Would you mind seeing Intellitxt 'contextual' adverts on the site and forums?

• I have another opinion and I'll be stating it in this thread

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Hi guys,

As part of the advertising we're considering for the site, Intellitxt has popped up as a possible thing we could do to generate revenue. But since in-line contextual ads have a direct effect on the browsing experience, I'd like your feedback on whether it's a good idea to give them a trial run at least. Remember that Beyond3D is very specific in its nature and thus is a decent fit (in theory!) for targeted in-line advertising.

There's a poll attached to this thread which asks you the question and gives you some choices to answer, and a catch all if you want to say something the poll doesn't let you. Please think carefully about it before you answer, since rash opinion doesn't serve Beyond3D well (and this is a topic that can generate rash opinion).

All opinions and thoughts will be equally considered if they're made sensibly, and I trust you all to do so. So let me know what you think, since it will have a direct consequence on whether we use them as an advertiser or not.

I have always found them annoying (because there's this pause whenever I accidentally hover over such text-ads) and downright ugly-cheap-looking for a site (a very subjective and personal opinion, of course).

I would most definitely not like it if it's in the forum but I wouldn't mind if it's in other site content (or the front page news).

I voted for being able to turn it off in any case.

I selfishly put "I wouldn't mind if I had the option to turn it off via my forum profile or similar mechanism", but I think it's a bad idea in general. The only thing I like about the idea (aside from generating you guys some cash) is that it might drive away n00bs, but in realtiy, it wouldn't drive away n00bs, it'd drive away the experienced, intelligent posters that make this forum so valuable (more valuable, even, than the articles). I'm not talking about myself, since I know I bring relatively little of 3D-value to b3d, but I think that many pros would find a better place to go.

The problem with intellitxt is that it interferes with reading and mousing. It's not just a mild thorn in the side, and it's not just something I can firewall block -- I'd have to reject all Javascript from B3D, assuming it's like anand's (though I assure you I would). Thus, I would no longer receive any advertising from b3d. Their whole scheme seems pretty slimy -- the goal isn't to provide intelligent marketing, it's to get you to accidentally click on one of their popups. If this sounds harsh, I say it because I've clicked on their ads before, and I've never come across a site that even seemed legit, let alone competitive, for anything I wanted.

I also find these types of ads rather annoying (e.g. when accidentally mouse-over-ing while reading and some stupid box pops up), but as long as registered users can turn those off, I'll survive.

I hate Intellitext. It's the most annoying thing on earth and definitely always blocked in my browser with no exceptions. With Intellitext always on, no B3D for me.

I've never blocked Intellitext (knowing how these ad revenue deals work and all) on any site, but it is the single most annoying, irritating and odious advertising method for any web site in my opinion, particularly one such as here where the written word by far takes precedence over simply charts and pictures.

If it could be turned off voluntarily I suppose it would be an improvement, but in my mind it ruins the flow of anything you're trying to read or and site you're trying to browse.

I don't mind them. They can be quite funny at times, and I'd like to pose to people on whether they would consider coughing up money for the site out of their own pockets, or through wasting a little more space to these kinds of adverts.

Everything is better than large flash adverts. Those I hate (but then lots of stuff can be disabled anyway these days).

I figure pretty much like optimizations the IHVs come up with. . . as long as I'm given a relatively friendly/obvious manner for turning them off, no problem.

I wouldn't mind if I could block them in my profile, but if I couldn't I would block them in my browser. I find such ads very intrusive as they interefere with the basic function of reading the written word. It's like constant product placement and accidental popups whenever your mouse drifts over a (usually highlighted in a different colour) word. It's not something I could live with on a site that I visit several times a day.

I wouldn't mind if I could block them in my profile, but if I couldn't I would block them in my browser. I find such ads very intrusive as they interefere with the basic function of reading the written word. It's like constant product placement and accidental popups whenever your mouse drifts over a (usually highlighted in a different colour) word. It's not something I could live with on a site that I visit several times a day.

Let alone that the links try to explain to you what a "mouse" or "the internet" or "Windows" is :LOL:

OTOH, how about those ads unfolding from the corner, what were these called again? That's rather neat.

After the flash ads that pop on top of everything, the in-text ads are next on my list for obliteration when I become ruler of all the land. :devilish:

It's also worth noting that people posting in the forums regularly place their own links in posts. By Intellitxt putting context sensitive links in, it's effectively like the poster has placed or endorsed those links when they haven't.

Back