Would you be interested in a "last" editorial?

Is it worth it to write such an editorial?

• Probably, but if it's too long, don't hope for me to read it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know.

• No, it wouldn't matter to write such a thing.

• No, why would I want to read something written by YOU? Pfff... Get lost already!

• Total voters

Arun

Unknown.
Legend
Hey everyone,

I'm currently considering writing an editorial before I stop (nearly) all links I got with the GPU community. I'd obviously only write it if you guys are interested - so that's what this thread's for ;)

Here are some of the subjects I've been thinking about writing about:

- NVIDIA's internal mess: Reasons, consequences, and potential future happenings.

- A bit more details about one of the consequences: NVIDIA's PR department misunderstanding of the situation.

- The ATI slide leaks - I had a rather big involvement in that affair, and while its sensitivity might not allow me to go in all details I'd like to talk about, I probably can still clear up some of this mess.

- The rumor industry, how dirty is it really? What can the consequences of leaks be? How come sources even give information without any apparent reason or benefit, considering the obvious risks to it?

- The future: What's the focus from here? Is there any chance for NV to get back on track, or is ATI going to become the supreme leader of this industry? What about startups? And what features will be most required from now on?

So, what do you think? Would it be worth my time to write this? And if you ain't too lazy, feel free to leave a comment too :p

Uttar

Yes. Please write one. I would like to see you adress all the points above. You might want to add a section about where Xbit is going to get their info from ;) . Thanks for your efforts.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd most like to know why you are "severing your links" with the graphics-chip industry? That would be interesting.

It also might be nice to know who your "links" were, even generally.

As far as rumor in the business goes--it's all done for the same reason that companies hire people to spread rumors on Wall Street--to hopefully affect their stock prices positively, so I'm not sure there's much interesting info there.

So why are you "severing your links," and so forth...? Maybe you already posted about this somewhere else and I missed it--if so, please provide a link. Any time someone makes such an announcment I always find it interesting to find out why...Thanks, Uttar...I've enjoyed your posts even if I didn't understand most of them, and often disagreed with the parts of them I *could* translate...:)

I wouldn't advise you to burn any bridges, but I'd like to hear as much of the inside scoop as you're willing to share.

WaltC: http://www.notforidiots.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47 ( I must admit I don't think I posted this on B3D yet - but I assumed most of you guys at least looked at nV News's frontpage sometimes and at GPU:RW once every few days :p )
I could go in a bit more details, but I don't quite see what else to say without going in boring stuff, or things I prefer not to talk about ( yet for some of them ).

Parhelia: Uttar is not available for comment on rumors or speculation.
*thinks a bit more*
Okay, so, how to say this in another way... Remember "A night at the opera", the part with the contract?
"The party of the first part will hereby be known as the party of the first part".
"The party of the second part will hereby be known as the party of the second part"
And so on. Oh, and the bolding was just an accident, really, and I don't feel like retrieving it ;)

ZoinKs: Endangering sources, or people in general, in whichever way imaginable is not my goal here.

Also, WaltC again:
As far as rumor in the business goes--it's all done for the same reason that companies hire people to spread rumors on Wall Street--to hopefully affect their stock prices positively, so I'm not sure there's much interesting info there.
:eek: :eek: :oops: :oops: :oops: :?

Anyway...

I'll wait for a bit more feedback before deciding for sure, as well as deciding what exactly I should talk about :)

Uttar

Uttar said:
WaltC: http://www.notforidiots.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47 ( I must admit I don't think I posted this on B3D yet - but I assumed most of you guys at least looked at nV News's frontpage sometimes and at GPU:RW once every few days :p )
I could go in a bit more details, but I don't quite see what else to say without going in boring stuff, or things I prefer not to talk about ( yet for some of them ).

Thanks, Uttar! :D So, basically, I gather you've just decided you've got better things to do (maybe a new girl? That would be infinitely understandable as there are only so many things a gpu can do for you...:)) If not, then, burned out--bored--disillusioned, maybe? I could understand any of it, frankly.

If I didn't already say so--yes--I'd be interested in reading the "condemned man's last epistle"....:) If you've got some interesting insight to offer--and it seems like you probably do...have at it, I'll certainly read it with interest.

...WaltC again:
:eek: :eek: :oops: :oops: :oops: :?

If you're thinking I made that remark personally--no--it didn't have anything to do with you personally at all. I just meant that companies often look for places they can lodge rumors for the purpose of repetition--usually about things they themselves don't want attributed to them...:) But really, your insight in to the "rumor mill" would be most interesting (certainly much more interesting than me going on about it generally) and I have a feeling you have some interesting info to share about the process as you've seen it work.

Anyway, looking forward to reading it when you write it!...:D

The results look fairly conclusive right now - 20 positive results, 1 negative. Go for it :)

If you're planning to make this a fairly lengthy, "official" piece (i.e. not just a run of the mill forum post), i'd advise you to get someone who's more confident with the English language to check it over first. Not to say your English is bad, but I assume (?) it's not your first language - and you don't want people to draw the wrong conclusions from what you've said, based on a misunderstanding. I, or anyone else for that matter, would be more than happy to help out there.

Just a thought, anyway. I'm looking forward to it, with or without checking :D

PaulS said:
If you're planning to make this a fairly lengthy, "official" piece (i.e. not just a run of the mill forum post), i'd advise you to get someone who's more confident with the English language to check it over first. Not to say your English is bad, but I assume (?) it's not your first language - and you don't want people to draw the wrong conclusions from what you've said, based on a misunderstanding. I, or anyone else for that matter, would be more than happy to help out there.

Agreed. I know someone who, I hope, will accept to check it. He might be busy in RL at this time, not quite sure, so it might delay the whole thing by a few days - but a few more days, what is that nowadays? :p

Uttar

EDIT: BTW, WaltC, while I don't doubt such things happen, I doubt they are the primary reason, and most of the time it's quite the opposite: companies getting angry at leaks.

Wow.

I'd hate to see you go Uttar, but if it must be done, then so be it. I can only hope you'll stick around B3D and pop your head out every once in a while whenever appropriate :)

I'd love to see another such editorial. It'd be a great way to sum up, and I'm sure to get a load off your back too.

Uttar said:
EDIT: BTW, WaltC, while I don't doubt such things happen, I doubt they are the primary reason, and most of the time it's quite the opposite: companies getting angry at leaks.

Heh...:D You would be amazed at how companies deliberately spread rumors to influence investments of all types, not just to influence the analysts. I've known bankers (whom I like) who routinely send bank employees (PR types, mainly) to "work" the "circuit crowd" on the Street--just to spread innocuous, positive, bland rumors--among deal attorneys, brokers, and lots of corporate folks (especially institutional investors)--all in a never-ending effort to prop up stocks, accelerate mergers, hurt competitors, secure credit lines--you name it. Man, it can be a real zoo...:) The general person on the street (little "s") would be stupified if he knew how shallow and tenuous the rationale behind a lot of "big deals" actually is. How do you think the crap at Enron got done for so long, for instance...?

I feel sometimes like Charleton Heston in the Planet of the Apes when, after the full import of where he was hit home, he screamed: "It's a madhouse--a madhouse!!!!" Heh...:)

I'm not cynical about it--it's just the way things work. But anyway...whatever you've got to share I'll read with interest...:D

Whatever your reasons for pulling the ripcord are all good and grand Uttar. I'd like to think you're not going to be a total stranger to these boards ... Regardless, I'd like to see if you could actually address (as has been said before) all of the subjects you have brought up. Perhaps with a little less detail, but enough to give the general reader a good idea of whats going on in those monkey cages over @ ATI and Nvidia. :D

Utter, if your friend is too bussy, I would gladly go over the article with you. My spelling is occasionally sub-par, but I've been told many a time that I have a rather elegant style of writing that that Iwould likely be quite succesful as a proffesional writer. Of course, I don't waste my abilities on petty forum posts :p

Back