would Virtua Fighter 4 work well on Wii ?

obviously the new Virtua Fighter 5 is too much for Wii, even given the fact that VF5 is based on 2004 PC hardware. but what about Virtua Fighter 4 (all incarnations of it) ?

I think it would sell well in Japan on Wii, and I think the Wii hardware is strong enough, with enough memory to handle a faithful port. NAOMI 2 games were ported to Gamecube without any serious downgrades, so with Wii being at least 50% more powerful and having about 3 times the amount of fast memory as Gamecube did (88 MB vs 24 MB) and thus, Wii comes very close to having the same amount of RAM as NAOMI2 (unlike PS2), plus Wii's RAM is higher bandwidth & lower latency.

I personally think VF4 would be perfect for Wii. Wii seems to support more and/or better lighting than Gamecube so I don't think NAOMI2's ELAN T&L unit has anything that Wii can rival or beat. And even if none of Wii's control capabilities are used, just a standard pad or stick, it would make a great game. Wii could be the platform for the definitive home version of VF4 with all three main versions on the disc. would also help Wii get established as a serious platform for fighters, even though VF4 is old now. throw in VF2 and VF3, and you'd have a real sweet package.

thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone is going to want to play VF4 once VF5 is out. Surely everyone who wants to play the VF series on a console already has VF4/Evo for PS2 and a good arcade stick to go along with it (Namco/Tekken 2 arcade stick in my case). Why would anyone rebuy the same game and why would Sega spend resources porting such an old game to a completely different architecture, when that game will not utilize any of the unique features of the Wii?

It makes absolutely no sense at all.

obviously the new Virtua Fighter 5 is too much for Wii, even given the fact that VF5 is based on 2004 PC hardware. but what about Virtua Fighter 4 (all incarnations of it) ?

I think it would sell well in Japan on Wii, and I think the Wii hardware is strong enough, with enough memory to handle a faithful port. NAOMI 2 games were ported to Gamecube without any serious downgrades, so with Wii being at least 50% more powerful and having about 3 times the amount of fast memory as Gamecube did (88 MB vs 24 MB) and thus, Wii comes very close to having the same amount of RAM as NAOMI2 (unlike PS2), plus Wii's RAM is higher bandwidth & lower latency.

I personally think VF4 would be perfect for Wii. Wii seems to support more and/or better lighting than Gamecube so I don't think NAOMI2's ELAN T&L unit has anything that Wii can rival or beat. And even if none of Wii's control capabilities are used, just a standard pad or stick, it would make a great game. Wii could be the platform for the definitive home version of VF4 with all three main versions on the disc. would also help Wii get established as a serious platform for fighters, even though VF4 is old now. throw in VF2 and VF3, and you'd have a real sweet package.

thoughts ?

Though it's unlikely for Wii to have a Virtua Fighter and other hardcore 3D fighting game series considering that Nintendo's Smash Bros. will wipe them out in terms of sales, I'm curious about how the Wii controller should be applied to the fighting games genre. A first-person boxing game like Punch Out or Fight Night may fit well.

Personally I think there is more chances of a original VF than a remake, maybe a old return like Last Bronx (I loved it) or even a completely new game.

Though it's unlikely for Wii to have a Virtua Fighter and other hardcore 3D fighting game series considering that Nintendo's Smash Bros. will wipe them out in terms of sales,

That would probably be true but only if Wii get only the same kind of market than GC, which seems improbably at this time. That could also be true if they only release games using the classic pad (which I hope not) then users would probably prefer 360/PS3 versions/games (and wii60/PSWii seems like it will be very popular).

I'm curious about how the Wii controller should be applied to the fighting games genre. A first-person boxing game like Punch Out or Fight Night may fit well

That is one of the things I try to figure out myself too, but I confess I cant think in any really nice way how to make a traditional fighter on the remote. But Mortal Kombat is supossed to show us a way to that, I am really interested in know how it will be (althought being a crossplatform I dont have big hopes).

I do agree, there is a lot of chances for new king of games, cant wait for a FPB game.

There's no point. VF4 in all its incarnations was already declining in popularity in the Japanese arcades years ago, and anybody who wanted to play the series elsewhere already has and is awaiting VF5. For fans, this iteration has simply been played to death.
Throw in that Sega is among the publishers who see the Wii as a younger/casual market (an assumption not argued against by the success of SSB), and the fact that any usage of the Wii's only advantage would not work at all for VF, and the only question you're left with is why you thought this was a good idea in the first place.

Considering it just from the technical perspective, NAOMI2's transform and lighting speed is still probably significantly faster. The RAM amount difference likely wouldn't pose much of a problem, though, as NAOMI2 had a lot more data duplication across its memory pools.

Does the Wii do 8:8:8:8 color and floating-point 3D depth?

Red Steel at E3 had some really bad dithering. Hopefully it's just because it was running on an overclocked Gamecube as people have been saying, and it's not representative of an actual hardware limitation that will be in the final Wii system.

VF4 didn't have lots of alpha blending, so if the Hollywood is only 24bit, it could probably still look relatively close to the arcade version. Not that I expect them to ever try porting it.

Considering it just from the technical perspective, NAOMI2's transform and lighting speed is still probably significantly faster. The RAM amount difference likely wouldn't pose much of a problem, though, as NAOMI2 had a lot more data duplication across its memory pools.

dang, that would be really sad if Wii's (Hollywood's) geometry engine / T&L unit or
Vertex Shader isn't as powerful/fast as ELAN, which is old, as in completed in 1999-2000 :/

The movies I've watched show decent geometry detail. But it's tough to tell if it's much above Cube, which sure was a efficient little machine.

I don't see why Wii couldn't do VF5 with VF4+ graphics. Then again, Wii's standard pad isn't really suited for beat 'em ups...

Back