Would the Velociraptor be ok in the PS3?

I have an unused Velociraptor 10,000 rpm HD. I wondered if i took off its heatsink, if it would overheat in the PS3 or not.
I currently have a 7200 rpm HD in there now, i'm guessing the VR would likely be louder but not sure if its all worth the trouble to try it or not.

any ideas?

I have an unused Velociraptor 10,000 rpm HD. I wondered if i took off its heatsink, if it would overheat in the PS3 or not.
I currently have a 7200 rpm HD in there now, i'm guessing the VR would likely be louder but not sure if its all worth the trouble to try it or not.

any ideas?

I don't think it'd fit inside the PS3, which doesn't take 2.5" drives thicker than 9.5mm.

interesting, though not really worth the fuss imo.
I have a couple extra SSD drives..but their only 128gb and 64gb sizes. Although i probably don't even use or may never even use half that....i'll look into how much free space i currently have, i may just slap in an SSD, but would have to backup and reformat.

any ideas?

No, it will overheat without heatsinks in the low airflow PS3 HDD cage. It probably overheat even with heatsinks. Maybe better to aim for SSD or fast 7200rmp drive since past a certain speed it might not give any benefits in the PS3 if there are other limitations.

That's why the HDXT is interesting since it supports external 2.5" and 3.5" SATA + IDE HDDs.

Features:
Connect any 3.5" SATA Hard Drive to the PS3
Developing ability to connect IDE hard drive
Supports up to 750GB (maybe more thats all we have here to test so far)
Switch between external HYPERDRIVE and internal 2.5" HDD
HYPERDRIVE USB2.0 Support to dump data to/from HDD

The only thing I'm not sure is the 750Gb capacity (could be 500Gb if Sony hasn't increased the limit they imposed in one of the earlier firmware patch).

That's why the HDXT is interesting since it supports external 2.5" and 3.5" SATA + IDE HDDs.

The only thing I'm not sure is the 750Gb capacity (could be 500Gb if Sony hasn't increased the limit they imposed in one of the earlier firmware patch).

Are you sure there is(or ever was) such a limit in firmware? Though there was a 500GB limit for quite a while due to bigger drives not physically fitting inside ps3(unless one was willing to compromise and use 3.5" drive outside ps3 and cable going to the internal hd connector)

I upgraded to 500Gb (instead of 600+ to 700+ Gb) right after firmware 2.20 was released because I read a few posts similar to the one below at that time.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1428579

"Sleepycat writes…

There is NO size limit on the HDD that the PS3 can use"

Are you sure about that? What drive sizes above 500Gb have you seen working since firmware 2.20?

I'm asking because prior to March/April 2008, I had a 750Gb SATA drive in an external enclosure hooked via eSATA to the PS3's internal SATA port (there are adaptors available for this). It worked without a problem until PS3 firmware 2.20 came out then the PS3 wouldn't boot from it or even format it.

At the time, I talked to people who were in a similar situation with 1Tb drives.

I found at the time that 500Gb seemed to be the maximum.

Sony tech support (at least the people I talked to) were unable to comment on the situation at the time or even clarify what the largest supported drive size was.

Having said all of this, 2.20 was a long time ago and things may have changed. I'd welcome any comments from anyone who has actually seen a drive > 500Gb working as the PS3 main HDD.

Perhaps the limit has been lifted. I haven't tried.

Back