Would Anamorphic Illusions work in a Video Game?

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
I was looking at Anamorphic illusions, and they made me wonder why they work so well. And then I was wondering, is this something that can be used in a videogame? Does it add anything that we don't already do in computer graphics? Does it illustrate the importance of shadow? Or is it an illusion that only works in the real world / only makes sense in the real world?

or this famous example

ages ago, lots of japan games used that.
i think the most famous one was FF8 with its in-game spider robot boss chase?

nowadays its only used for far away trees and skyboxes, i think.

Or is it an illusion that only works in the real world / only makes sense in the real world?
Actually, it's an illusion that only really works when the depth-sensing of your eyes isn't able to call out the BS, which means it breaks down easier in the real world.

ages ago, lots of japan games used that.
i think the most famous one was FF8 with its in-game spider robot boss chase?

nowadays its only used for far away trees and skyboxes, i think.

But isn't that usually just plain parallax scrolling?

In ffx it used as a pond with super limited camera movement (only a wee bit horizontal). No parallax. For mountains and sky, usually with parallax.

In ff 8 it's actually the pre rendered cutscene mixed with in game camera movement

Eh actually ffx used lots of those fake stuff. Basically when it's just 2d looking like 3d and have limited camera movements like inside shops, or when on airship engine room.

Nowadays.. Used by transistor I think. It's just flat 2d texture but looks 3d

I was looking at Anamorphic illusions, and they made me wonder why they work so well. And then I was wondering, is this something that can be used in a videogame?
They are used in every Videogame with 3D graphics. World space coords getting projected and drawn into screen space.

Isn't this how Forza (and most racing games) do crowds? With 2D sprites moving along with the camera

570b652758e52682affb553a5f93bd88-422x234.gif.pagespeed.ce.VwtlJ1jlJo.gif

Pillars of Eternity (as well as Torment: Tides of Numenera and (I assume) Obsidians's newly announced Tyranny) relies on projecting a distorted 2D background for their depth effect.

Edit: Annoying auto-embedding strips the time link. They show the level "flat" at around 3.30.

Last edited:
This technique is used in Diablo 3 when you're fighting on the walls of the keep. If you look down onto the battlefield there are soldiers and demons fighting, all 2D projections that look fairly convincing if you don't linger on them too long.

Back