World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Some console commands to improve the looks:

/console farclip 777
    /console horizonfarclip 6226
    /console groundeffectdensity 256
    /console groundeffectdist 140
    /console smallcull 0
    /console skycloudlod 3
    /console characterambient 0

Darkshore before:
    http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8619/darkshore1qe9.jpg

Darkshore after:
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7162/darkshore2wy7.jpg

Before
    http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wowscrnshot041908145753nt1.jpg

After
    http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wowscrnshot041908145850bi1.jpg

2 threads about it:
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=3704721587&sid=1
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=3704991644&sid=1

The one thing I'm not sure about is the character ambient, wouldn't that remove the ambient lightnings effects on character? :???:

oh ye, if you want to keep high levels of AA with SuperSampling Adaptive/Transparent AA, this will probably bring anything out there to their knees.

2. Rainbow Man

Veteran

Perhaps. But then I might as well roll a warrior.

Onr of the biggest problems when you reach endgame and want to start PUGging to get some nice dungeon loot is that people don't friggin know how to play their class adn don't know their skills or how/whne to use them.

Huntards and retadins are notorious in this regard but really they exist in every class. Just running around from mob to mob sinister striking things to death does not strike me as constructive from a "learning to understand the rogue class" point of vieew. ;)

Did you hear about the warrior who leveled 1-70 while wearng nothing but an Ogre Loincloth?

I think your argument there would have fallen on deaf ears with that player...

Perhaps, for someone who is already familiar with gameplay and character skills.

But that does not seem likely for a first time WoW player. Then you would want to know how to actually play the game. If you don't practice doing your ambush/ghostly strikes/flurrys/whatever, you won't learn how or when to use them period.

Peiople need practice, and practicing while leveling is an excellent way to do that.
    Peace.

3. Rainbow Man

Veteran

The only console command I can see manking a differnece compared to what you can do ingame with the video settings sliders is the skylod command.

That seems to give higher resolution (but darker) cllouds in the old world.

I've always played with all sliders maxed out and I can assure you my darkshore does not look like the pic in the "before" link.

Just now I ran outside ironforge and stood on the lip of the cliff looking out over dun morogh. I could just see the smithy down in kharanos before the fog engulfed the world and then the jaggy mountains beyond that.

Entering these commands did nothing to change the image - well apart from the sky. I didn't try the characterambient setting seeing as neither you or I seem to know what it does. :)
    Peace.

4. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

In terms of leveling from 1-70 yes, but if you want to do damage in a raid group, being a warrior is going to gimp your chances at that opportunity. :D

Oh I agree, there's a fair bit of difference in knowledge requirements for endgame, than leveling. Although most of that knowledge of how to play your class in a group is only going to come from actually playing in groups. As a rogue you'd be sapping and probably the main assist (choosing target order). It's also somewhat useful to know what other classes are doing.

No doubt.

Oh certainly, I'd recommend everyone try a few different specs. I'd also recommend everyone play a healing class and a tank in a group so they have an understanding of what's going on. It usually curbs HEAL ME spam from the dps classes. :)

5. aaronspink

Veteran

I've played a healer in a lot of MMOs, and I tell people up from, if you are DPS and get aggro more than once, you are going to die and I'll be laughing while you do!

Most games give DPS classes ways to lower their aggro but so many players have no idea how to use them or how to work with a tank to prevent it in the first place.

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

The biggest problem seems to be the place you did your test in, try some forest region like in the example shots, with vegetation etc, should see bigger diffference.

7. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

WOW! thanks for all the tips from everyone!

@rainbowman
    that's my problem, they move around and see me,or it says "it's not appropriate to pick pocket this one" i just got sap (and ambush) rank 1 (don't have distract available yet i don't think), anyway i haven't tried them out yet.

let me ask this, did playing daggers for 21 levels ruin my sword chance (skill increases)...so now i have a 'jack of all trades' rogue (half dagger skills i don't use anymore, and half sword skills)? can you transfer dagger points to sword points?

im L26 (and 1/2) now. spent last night raising my fishing skill (and chatting) since practically everywhere i go says my skill isn't high enough to fish. i focused more on mining/engineering i guess, which is still pretty useless in terms of what i can make. i wasn't in a whacking mood last night. so some game sessions are more productive than others.

im just beginning (through advice of other players) to check out the auction house, i've been dumping my surplus equip at a given merchant. i only have 3G so far!

does anyone know if engineers can have an aircraft as their flying mount? i've seen a jet on a runway (during griffin flight) and a crashed airplane on a mountain, and a place in ironforge where planes continually take off (i can't use them), but i never see any flying around while im out and about.

8. AlphaWolf

Legend

At your level you should be able to catch up (within a couple points) any weapon skill in about an hour. You can even catch up a weapon fairly quickly without hurting your effectiveness by using that type in your offhand. (you can have all weapons at maxed skill if you want, you don't need to lose skill in a weapon)

Engineers just had gyrocopters added recently for flying mounts, but you can only use flying mounts in the burning crusade regions, and you have to be level 70.

9. Rainbow Man

Veteran

It's obvious to me the "before" shot is with all in-game sliders at, or near minimum setting and level of detail checked.

I can assure you, with sliders maxed, there isn't a difference. These commands appear to do nothing whatsoever. I regularly travel all over outland as well as the old world with various characters; I've noticed NO difference at all.

Well, apart from the sky.

You can only pickpocket humanoids. :) And of that sub-category you can only pickpocket some humanoids - yeti for example have no pockets... :razz: Well actually, most humanoids CAN be pickpocketed.

What I've done is I've alt-mapped button 1 of the first toolbar (which maps to button 1 on keyboard) to my mouse's Browser Forward thumb button.

In this slot I drop the Shoot icon for classes with wands, Autoshot with my hunters, and in stealth mode for rogue, pickpocket. That way I don't risk attacking by mistake by pressing the wrong button on the keyboard wehn I want to pickpocket.. I also use this button for entangling roots with my druid.

As an aside, I have Browser Back thumb button mapped to Autorun. Extremely convenient. :)

No. Almost nothing in WoW ruins your chance to do something else.

Only picking say, goblin engineering will ruin your chance to pick gnomish engineering, or allying yourself with the scryers in outland will ruin your chance to ally yourself with the aldor. However both of these choices CAN be undone - throuhg a lot of hard mindless work. :p

If your sword skill is very low/non existant, go back to a zone with easy mobs and just wail away on them. When you're only in your 20s leveling weapon skill will go very qucikly. Only when you're in your 60s will you have to spend any significant time leveling weapons. It's also worth noting the more points you lack until you hit max the faster the leveling goes initially. So it's inefficient to level weapons with all types each time you ding a new character level. Instead train in bursts when you've grown a lot, and don't max it out all the way until you've hit maximum level.

You can make a lot of money mining and selling metal ores. As you're an engineer, you're undoubtedly also a miner.

Engineering really can be useful. For rogues as well. Make target dummies and plant one if you get overwhelmed by monsters. It will attract tehir attention instead of wailing on you. First toss a grenade though, it will damage and stun everything and give the dummy a few seconds to catch the mobs' aggro.

Goblin engineering in general goes quite well with rogues thanks to all the explosive stuff you can make.

The old world wasn't designed wiht flying in mind. There's many unfinished/"leftover" areas in the game, for example in the corner between ashenvale, stonetalon mountains and barrens. You notice this as what appears as a huge entirely flat plain that just goes on forever. Sometimes the ground has odd colours.

Also the city of stormwind for example doesn't actually exist in the game world as of now. It's just an empty facade until you enter the porticullis. You notice this by zooming out max from your character and adjusting the camera to a high angle when flying in towards th ecity; the cathedral spire is obviously just floating in tge air.

Also inside stormwind you may notice the bank has no roof when seen from the outside amongst other odd graphical glitches. :)

Peace.

10. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

okay last night i ran into a PROBLEM (pisses me off a bit). I was on a rogue mission (from that headquarters in stormwind). i was to get a key to a tower in westfall, then the contents of a chest in that tower. well i stealthed (since i had been there before already) climbed the tower (avoiding the sentries) whacked the guy on top, took the contents (book) from the chest, and gat NAILED with a poison (touch of zanzil?) a 7 DAY (that DAYS) -15 agility PLUS NO STEALTH (that's like castrating a rogue)! not sure if it was due to me not getting the key first as instructed or what. but i was thinking the objective was to get the book to my boss, and key was only significant if you couldn't pick locks (i can't even find the person with the key anyway).

My question is this, is there any way that someone can cure poisoning? place to go? we're talking REAL time here a WEEK of no stealth! i've just turned L27 BTW. and almost ALL of my outstanding quests aren't possible without stealth (or a team, but i prefer to solo mostly)

NEVERMIND. i googled it. can't believe i got the spelling right!

#50 Cartoon Corpse, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  11. AlphaWolf

Legend

You just have to finish the quest chain.

12. Rainbow Man

Veteran

That poison thing is quite funny. :) It used to be 1 day timer on it in the past and when the day was up you promptly died..

I did it on my rogue nearly a year ago and as I'm an engineer I thought I'd take the opportunity to train engineering skill by making the bronze tube you need as part of the quest chain. Unfortunately I didnt' have enough skill to make the tube, so then I had to run baaaaacckk all the way to the bank for more metal and junk to gain the skill points needed to make the tube.

I then return all the way across town to bang together the gadgets I need, and as I stan there and train the last few points along runs a paladin and tosses a cleanse on me as he passes by and the poison is gone... *agh!*

All that running and effrt for nothing. I became quite agitated I must say. Needless, I still have that antidote sitting in my bank, as a reminder.
    Peace.

13. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

lol. mine was cured the next night i logged in. and by the time i finished the quest (tower key/book) the poison quest was 'beneath' me. he just examined me and that's it. no antidote quest.

which brings me to my pickpocket question. i FINALLY (after several deaths) managed to pickpocket and loot my mission target (1st successful pickpocket. HOWEVER, i found I had to unequip ALL of my blades (take them from hands and put them in saddlebag). otherwise when i hit pickpocket i stabbed the guy instead.
    is this normal? am i doing somethine wrong?

14. Ashley08

Newcomer

I also liked the quest where you get the recipe for the tea. :)

15. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

It sounds like you're hitting "attack" accidentally. By default, the first button is reserved for auto-attack. It'd probably, as a rogue, be smarter to put another move there until you've mastered sneaking up on targets. Also, there's a setting in the options to turn off auto-attack. It screwed me over myself a lot when I started, as well. The trick to successfully pickpocketing is to find targets that are either your level, lower or not too much higher. Pay attention to your target's avatar. The color of their level signifies their difficulty. So if you're attempting to pickpocket orange or red targets, without 5 points in "Master of Deception," chances are you're going to be spotted. Even with enemies your level, it's typically wise to either distact them, which will draw their attention elsewhere, or wait until they have an inkling of your presence, then walk in and pickpocket them from behind. If you're rushing in, chances are you may nudge them accidentally, entering combat.

Also, Ashley, the tea recipe is buyable at the poison vendor in Ravenholdt.

16. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

interesting. i put my pickpocket there on my stealth tool bar (when i go to stealth, it goes to that toolbar. so i loaded it up with stealth required activities). sheesh. they shouldn't allow you to put icons in the first slot if it's always something else anyway. oh well. thx, i'll try moving all that stuff down 1 slot.

17. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

18. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

i have a couple questions.

first i have lock pick skill over 100, but i found a baggable locked chest ( can put it in my bag) that requires only lock picking 25, but i don't know how to open it. i can open all manner of chests i find on the ground (the kind that you can't put in your bag, only the contents once opened) and rarely encounter "chest is locked". however i can't even get that much out of this L25 one. it's like i don't know the technique.

im on a quest lastnight:
    The Branch of Cenarius (in ashenvale), i kill the guy, and it wont let me loot him, though it shows the brown bag icon, or grey but won't go brown (tried twice), and the sparkly stuff around the corpse. bug? or what?

oh also, when i team up with others for a dungeon. i find i can't really use my rogue specialties much at all (stealth, assassination)
    everyone kinda runs from one group of mobs to the next, and i find my self as a DPS person mostly. is that normal? or should i look for all rogue groups or something? i find i can solo complete many dungeons on my own, using mostly stealth and draw (daggar throwing). did several in gnomeregan that way (not the boss one), did some in stockades (stormwind), and most of the deadmines in westfall (not the boss one)...all solo. oh and the lost sailors (shipwrecks) in wetlands. solo. while others said, i should get a group.

#58 Cartoon Corpse, May 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  19. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Go to your spellbook, click on Pick Lock and then on the chest in your inventory
    Most common reason is that you're out-of-sync with the server for some reason or another, re-logging should fix this
    It gets better later on when the capabilities of different classes are more needed, mostly you will use Sap to incapacitate 1 mob from a group for 30secs(? not 100% sure on the time) before the tank (or someone else) pulls rest of the group.

20. AlphaWolf

Legend

Sap is base 45 seconds at the highest rank.

Lockpicking and distract are also occasionally useful in instances, but mostly rogues are there for their DPS and stuns.

If you want you can actually run a lot of instances in an all stealth group avoiding most of the trash. Just Druids and rogues.