World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

WoWhead for quests, loots, mobs etc
    Wowwiki for Lore & general info etc

2. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

CC, if you do decide to make a hunter here's an interesting resource for rare pets throughout the game:

http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/

.....I always wanted that flamingo. I could never find him, though.

3. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

pick your levelling guide. I started again at the weekend as I read that the rest XP at higher levels has been increased, and I always ran out of steam at around 40th.

20th in 4 sessions

http://www.wow-pro.com/node/692

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

If I remember correctly, you gain more XP 20-60 than you did before, and 30-60 requires less XP than it did before

5. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

update
    just came off a 4 day vacation...

started at level 8-9 with just 6-8 hours of play total (more time patching!)

friday 3/28 : 14 HOURS! level 13
    saturday 3/29: 11 HOURS! level 15
    sunday 3/30: 6 hours level 16
    monday 3/31: 8 hours level 17

enjoying the game immensely so far, but as you can tell i didn't have the 'steam' to game all 4 days like the first 2. i haven't put in a marathon gaming session like that in a long while. i even got a zit! i had specially planned this vacation to do just this. never changed clothes! ate in. never even checked the mail (outside). GLORIOUS.

still playing a rogue.

may start a hunter (realized there are no human hunters) later.

6. sonix666

Regular

7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

That's sweet, it should run on my intellivision.

8. Dresden

Veteran

Best.....April Fool's prank.....EVER

9. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

It has SOUND :lol:

10. Galduta

Veteran

Glorious 192i resolution !! :mrgreen:

11. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

In other news, some taurens abandoned their peaceful way of living and joined the terran to fight zergs.

Tauren Marine

12. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

Are you wandering and exploring rather than doing quest circles to level? Because I have to say that's quite slow levelling from 15 on.

13. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

i dunno, i do wander some (wandered more at early on), die some, but im usuallly trying to do missions. im level 24 now. i didn't realize some things (played with daggers till level 21!)...low level areas i could've gotten to earlier, that now don't give me squat for XP, caused i leveled on harder missions.

does anyone know if a rogue can train 2 handed swords? how? i only found i could train 1 handed at level 21. and i only have like 2G. guess im a pretty crappy rogue, i can't get pickpokcet to work, can't backstab (no need now that i have swords), anyway im having fun.

14. Dresden

Veteran

Rogues are limited to daggers, 1 handed swords, fist weapons and 1 handed maces. If you want a class that has a variety of weapon proficiency, I suggest you reroll a warrior. If you're a sword rogue, no, you can't backstab. Backstab and mutilate are daggers only moves. Blizzard hasn't found a way to effectively cater to people who want to both PvP and PvE, therefore watch how you spec depending on what you plan to do in the game. I had to make two rogues on my current server so I could do both.

#34 Dresden, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  15. Dooby

Regular

OUCH

11 hours for one level? Im not exactly a hardcore WoWer, but levelling should only take about an hour. Maybe two if youre unlucky. Get lots of quests at once, figure out where they are, and do laps around the zones, rather than running back and forth after every mission.

If you need help with quest guides, Ive used www.wow-pro.com a bunch of times. When you get to level 30, use Jame's guides, as they are the most professional on the site, and will not only show you the best way to do quests etc, but will take you all over the world, so you see much more than you probably normally would.

It helps to have it open on a laptop or second monitor, cos the levels will FLY past. Alliance Hunter, level 57, 60 hours played. Zooom :) Cuts it down to 95% questing, 5% grinding. Much more fun!

16. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

thanks for the tips! a guide might be useful. i don't seem to get 'green' missions, just yellow and red. and i die a lot fighting characters my own level or a little higher cause i can't handle multiple mobs well. and i don't team up all that much (try to use stealth a lot, or come into a quest while another team is doing it, and most everything is already dead, seems like everybody still gets their stuff i think)...so i die probably more than most? then have to run off and get repaired and come back. i'd be playing right now, but im working this weekend. 1hr per level! sheesh. i even had some kid? yell at me for being in a too low level area doing missions (i missed a bunch) so i was fighting level 5 monsters as a level 22 for like 10 XP for the mission. still i wanted to do the missions.

17. Rainbow Man

Veteran

If you're playing as a rogue, you might find the combat talent tree to serve you best while leveling. It improves your basic fighting and survival skills by increasing your hit and crit chance with weapons, and your dodge and parry ability to reduce the damage you take.

It also has several great talents like blade flurry and adrenaline rush further down. Blasde flurry is basivally the only ability a rogue has to fight more than one target at once.

I've taken a dagger combat rogue to level 63 so far and generally prefer to ambush the enemy as an opener; with a crit I can take off a third of the mob's health in the first initial strike. Then I toss off Ghostly Strike from the subtlety talent tree to give me increased dodge, and with these 2 combo points I do slice and dice. Then a few sinister strikes and an eviscerate and mob is dead. Loot, stealth, move on.

To make pickpocket work you may want to approach the mob from behind. If you get in front of it you're likely to be spotted. Use distract or sap if needed to keep the mob from moving around and surprising you. Sap is more effective as this will stun the mob and allow you to approach it from any direction. Grabbing the improved stealth talent from first tier in the subtlety tree will greatly increase your stealthing success, particulary against mobs a few levels above your owen.

However if distract is resisted the mob will merely continue on its merry way; a sap resist will cause you to unstealth prematurely and you'll get attacked. If you're in a flock of mobs and pull aggro from several things can get hairy. Gouge one, then sprint away, or use vanish if you have that ability.

Oh - and dobn't let your weapons get too old! Particulry if you use daggers as otherwise you'll stabandstabandstab and the mob's health won't go down very much each hit. You want a fast weapon in your off-hand (for dagger 1.5 second attack speed at most; preferably 1.4 or even 1.3), and a slow one in your main hand (slow dageger ius usually 1.8 second).

Swords have slower attack speeds generally though some are as fast as 1.5s. Maces are often really really slow but can give big crits with the right setup. UI have no experience with those weapons though, and I believe maces in particular are considered mainly PvP setup.

Good luclk. Don't be afraid to ask for more advice.

Peace.

18. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

uh, pretty sure you should be a sword rogue when leveling. or maces if you can find ones that don't suck. you do daggers for backstab, which you're not going to be doing while leveling.

19. Rainbow Man

Veteran

You "should" be nothing in particular really. The game should rather be enjoyed the way people like to play it.

I did ddaggers because it's more true to the rogue's spirit I feel. That and swords becoems boring to play with very few useable abilities. Dagger can use the full rogue arsenal.

Peacde.

20. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

While true, the fastest way of leveling is swords, using stealth to level just slows you down. And while enjoying how you play is the most important thing, you may find making sacrifices (such as speccing to be more efficient) in that area may give you more enjoyment in other areas. You can have fun with any spec but if you are really competitive you might be inclined to find which spec works best for the job at hand.