World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23133.html

The first trailer has officially been released. All of you that still play WoW, and I know there's more than one of you out there, will be interested in seeing this. A whole new continent called "Northrend" awaits you. The level cap will be raised again, to 80. Destructable buildings and changeable hairstyles too!

I'll definitely buy it. I just got back into WoW last week and I'd be interested in seeing what lies beyond BC.

2. Davros

Legend

Count me in :D

3. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath
    http://www.wow-europe.com/wrath

What's a bit puzzling me at the moment is the announcement of Death Knight - it's obviously a hero class for paladins, but I certainly hope that they just announced it as it fits the Lich King theme, and that every class will have their own hero classes on the release, too (in fact, more than one hero class, due different talent builds)

4. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Death Knight - cool!

*reads what's required*

Oh. Nevermind...

5. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

No, its not at all specifically for paladins. In fact the way you present it is pretty much completely wrong. :razz:

Death Knights are a class you can pick once you've completed a series of quests at level 80. These quests are similar to the warlock epic mount quests. Once you've done this you can pick Death Knight at the character select screen, the character will then start at a high level of experience (60 to 70 probably).

The specifics beyond that are really not fully out. A spell has been detailed, but that's subject to change. Also, just that a race from both Alliance and Horde can become a Death Knight, but the races have not been stated.

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

That's not yet on official site though?

7. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Yes it is actually, on the FAQ section for the official Wrath of the Lich King.

Not everything is on that site even, announcements have been made at Blizzcon through out the day. There is a link to a live feed at the World of Warcraft site.

8. Dresden

Veteran

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

TBC already included some improvements (mostly in polycount I think, both draenei and blood elf models use significantly more polygons than earlier character models), and yes, WotLK will bring some more

10. Dresden

Veteran

I knew there was a reason I made a Blood Elf.

And it's not because I can out-dance the rest of you!

11. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

Is anyone still playing WOW? So far, i've spent my first day (Sunday 3/23/8) installing and then patching >600M (for 5 hours...dang peer to peer button needed to be clicked off), second day i played my human rogue up to level 8 (4-5 hours?), just learning the basics and whacking vermin and doing EZPZ missions (can't find a fishing rod yet, where? want to fish dammit!). day 3..work day anyway (a weird coincidence...) had to patch AGAIN (new 363M patch released) two hours for that. played like 30 minutes...then time to eat supper...do other stuff, bed, etc.

anyway i have some more time off this coming weekend (4 day weekend). plan to play WOW (my account expires on 6/22/8) enough to decide whether i'll stick with it.

my question is this:

What's an 'easy mode' character build (a character who doesn't have much trouble solo-ing).
    i was hoping i could get bows for my human rogue (hinted at ranged attacks)...maybe i should've been a hunter? anyway i also heard some sort of shaman or mage build of a certain type was EZPZ to play. it's not too late to start over at this point.

you see i don't mind the combat stuff, i just want to get it over with (ranged usually preferred less 'messy') and enjoy doing mission after mission and racking up XP and equipment and making money and exploring/enjoying the scenery. quite a nice Fable-ish look to the game BTW.

I don't get killed alot so far, but some missions took a few tries, and i do blunder into higher level NPC's from time to time.

any good source you know of for newb tips (not the wow forums) would be appreciated.

#11 Cartoon Corpse, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2008
  12. Dresden

Veteran

Yes I still play. If you want easy mode, create a hunter. Bar none the easiest, most overpowered class in the game. Rogues and every other class don't specialize in ranged, therefore they do virtually no damage.

13. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

does it matter what race? I'd prefer human i think.

are hunters limited to leather armor? (i think rogues are at this point).

how does targeting work for archer? is it auto? (select and just fire away, backpeddling as necessary)...seems like rogue fighting is auto...select (rclick)...then spam the attack keys.

my rogue has some throwing knives but i can never kill anything before it gets to me.

14. Dresden

Veteran

It's a matter of personal preference. All races have a racial ability which is ideal for certain situations, although the starting stats are world's apart. Elves, by nature, have higher agility, iirc BE's have the highest agility from the start, but humans have perception, increased stealth detection. There's a bunch of charts up online that shows the stats of the game's races.

No. At 40 they train with mail.

Hunter's have "autoshoot" which fires faster than any other range in the game. At level 10 you'll receive a pet which can control aggro/tank for you. Be advised though, hunters can only utilize their range from, obviously, a certain range. Their melee is atrocious, so classes that can effectively stay in your face, depending on your spec, can murder you with relative ease.

Ranged for classes other than hunters is primarily to pull mobs, Rogues at 68 get "Deadly Throw" which, depending on how many combo points you have, can finish someone off at low health, deals a significant amount of damage and slows them down.

15. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

thanks. looks like i picked the wrong class. glad to find out now.

what if i don't want a pet, can i kill it?

16. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Leveling a hunter without a pet isn't recommended. Pets make solo pve much easier.

17. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

what if the pet gets ganked on it's own? is it gone forever? or does it respawn and rejoin me? can i just ignore it? i heard you have to feed them. how much of a pain is that?

what are the risks involved with pickpocketing? always successful? stick close to your level?

probably best to set auto loot on for hunter? so people don't ninja loot my kills?

18. AlphaWolf

Legend

you can just summon them again, and you do have to care for them, but its not really a chore, just give them some food now and then.

When you pickpocket a mob it will either succeed (and you will get something) or the mob will turn and attack you. The higher the level of the mob relative to you the greater the chance of failure. Usually you stick to mobs at your level or lower.

If you tag the mob (first one to damage it), no one can take your loot.

19. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

thanks again, BTW i just discovered wikiWoW. so i have a source of noob info. i didn't get much out of WoW forums, and worldofwar.net is wicked slow.

20. AlphaWolf

Legend

wowhead.com and thottbot.com are also useful sources of information.