World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade 2 pages preview at Gamespot

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Farid, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

The whole preview
    Well, since some of you guys are WoW addicts, I thought this preview may be a worthwhile reading to you.

2. Maintank

Regular

I have actually come back after a year long hiatus but barely play because the game is dreadfully boring to level. That being said the pvp changes imo should make the game playable depending on how the armor prices are set. Personally I think they are dropping the ball by not having titles to show how many points one has accumulated. People like bling, titles showing I have 10 million honor points == bling.

3. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

I thought honor points would be used as a form of currency to buy new armor and various items? Therefore that would defeat the purpose of having titles because they'd mean nothing.

4. L233

Veteran

By going from 40 man raids to raids capped at 25, TBC will so screw all active raiding guilds.

5. Tagrineth

Tagrineth SNAKES... ON A PLANE
    Veteran

I'm an FFXI addict and find WoW extremely boring...

That said, though, TBC may make me revisit the game, as the only class I really enjoyed at all was Paladin and all my RL friends who play, are Horde. Thus, Blood Elf would allow me to actually frigging play with people I know. Blood Elf Pally and Draenei Shaman = best things about TBC.

6. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

You play WoW and found it boring, and you played a Paladin. I think we've found a connection!

7. Maintank

Regular

Yes they are going to allow you to use honor points to buy armor. But it shouldnt be hard to keep a running "total" of all the honor points you have accumulated while keeping the amount of honor points you have left to spend on armor.

/shrug

8. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

The game is almost ruined that they give Horde the stupid pally, cheapest character in the game.....

9. Tagrineth

Veteran

FWIW I tried every class except Shaman and found paladin the most fun out of all of them.

Edit: And lately, playing on a server emulator, I find that still holds true.

10. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Well, you do not start experiencing WoW till you hit 60 or at least that's what they say. For the most part I think its true, once you hit 60 it is lots of fun doing raids and PvP world battles. Just do not let yourself constantly be in a raiding guild, that gets boring and really quick.

Mages all the way, frost owns.

11. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Well then sorry but "they" are idiots, and/or the game is silly.

My personal experience of WoW has been an extremely tedious grind until I reached level <yawn> and quit. That's about lvl25 roughly, but hey, I have limited attention span. For killing <insert thing here> <insert number here> times. I guess I must be some of sort of Z!OMG!n00bLTP!!2! Or something.

My mate, who has taken a priest to lvl60 and then much beyond raved to me about how exciting pre-60 levelling was compared to post-60 raiding. Good lord. Is this really a *game*, or is it some sort of Internet circle-jerk-off?

I mean "they" may well be right, that the game doesn't deliver it's intended payload until 60+. If so, it's daft. But hell, they've made billions off it, so WTF so I know :roll:

12. Tagrineth

Veteran

I already do Dynamis twice a week in FFXI, I don't think I could take raiding every (or nearly every) night.

Edit:

Different people enjoy different things. In FFXI, I generally enjoy exp parties which many consider the game's most irritating aspect. I also tend to enjoy going after ludicrously overpowered bosses which some people find boring and repetitive.

#12 Tagrineth, Dec 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2006
  13. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

WoW often gets criticized that it doesn't pay off enough for those who reach 60. Once you reach 60 you can actually do many things that were not previous possible. When I was playing WoW I was heavily PvP focused as I felt it offered much more reward (beating someone) than just killing endless amounts of raids for equipment to just do the same thing over again.

I do not play anymore though, I got sick of the lack to do anything else but PvP. Other areas of the game are lacking IMO and $15 a month isn't worth a RPG version of CS.

14. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Mmmm. I still play WoW now and again when I want brainless thrills. But I grew up in EVE so I'm spoiled by a world with player-driven <everything>. Getting out of bed in the morning is PvP in EVE, but it's not necessarily in-ya-face PvP.

15. Maintank

Regular

I enjoyed EVE but damned the gate situation annoyed me. I have been debating coming back with a few friends, scattering ourselves among the big alliances. Move up in ranks and then get alliances to start wars while our small group profits by selling equipment to them :D

EVE's premise is the best of all the MMORPGs, the only one that compared was the original UO before they split the servers.

16. skazz

Newcomer

When I restarted WoW for the second time back in August, I decided to join a raiding guild and see endgame post-60 content. I discovered that the game stops being purely about character progress, and starts being far more social - guild progress across the raiding instances is what takes over.

I've never ever been as hooked with any computer game as I've been the last 5 months within WoW. I've had weeks where I've been online every night for the whole night, from the start of the group raid until the end of it. I'd never have dreamed I could get that caught until it happened. The hook is of course that you both don't want to let your guild down, and you want to beat the difficult raiding content, and that takes time - lots of time. Voice comms, having a laugh, discussing tactics during the day via forums, executing those tactics properly, and then getting rewards in the form of better items to make further progression possible. It's extremely well built, offers sufficient challenge and reward to keep you hooked, and is definitely fun.

Thankfully Blizzard brought out their v2.0 client patch update so that non-expansion owners could interact with expansion owners next month. This patch introduced much of the Burning Crusade game mechanics changes, and rather screwed our raiding schedules. Without the promise of challenging raiding happening in the near future, I've freed myself up out of WoW for a bit, at least until BC hits and I get drawn back in.

I can understand Wow not being for those with short attention spans.... I've had evenings where I've not even had time to grab a cup of tea for 3 hours solid. Call me crazy :S

17. phenix

Regular

The game is online now.

18. Rainbow Man

Veteran

The new equipment you get for simply doing a few fairly easy quests (apart from the 1000,000 other players camping the same monsters) is pretty nuts.

One reward in the first zone on the other side of the portal is a 84DPS wand with soe stamina and mana regeneration on it. Its damage alone beats pretty much every other wand in the game in old WoW.

The raiding addicts must be crying tears of blood seeing their super purples being beaten by simple green quest reward items.

The gold is nuts too. You can earn 100 gold from an afternoon/evening's worth of questing with a few friends. Normal mosnters drop the same or more silver as elites in their 50s did. It's crazy.

Peace.