Wordpress templates, getting suicidal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must resist the urge to turn this post into a giant rant but my god, whoever came up with css and php needs to be trialed for crimes against humanity. How is it possible to make something with those pieces of shit?

For a project I need to set up a wordpress page and since the default layout looks crap I want to edit it a little bit. Not much, just change the border thickness, colors and makes things look a bit tighter as the spacings are all over the place. Nothing difficult I thought. Did those things years ago with html. Hell, the page I want to build is so simple it wouldnt even take 10 minutes to do in html.

But oh no, not now. I've been trying for 7 hours, 7 fucking hours and I'm still nowhere. The whole thing makes zero sense.

How hard can it be????

what!!! it has command keys that are normal letters
I cannot use any word containing the letter "I" because typing that letter will change VI into insert mode
I cannot use ":" because doing so will send the cursor to the bottom of the screen
cant change "pple" to "apple" because typing "A" sends the cursor to the end of the line

I just downloded VI for windows just to test it
tried to type "hello world" couldn't do it, best i could manage was "ihello world"

what!!! it has command keys that are normal letters
I cannot use any word containing the letter "I" because typing that letter will change VI into insert mode
I cannot use ":" because doing so will send the cursor to the bottom of the screen
cant change "pple" to "apple" because typing "A" sends the cursor to the end of the line

I just downloded VI for windows just to test it
tried to type "hello world" couldn't do it, best i could manage was "ihello world"

It works without any form of terminal emulation. 'i' 'a' etc. are disabled when you are editing. If you're in editing typing 'a' gives you an 'a'

'nuff said.

At least it seems to generate a lot of work ... I was looking at a freelance projects site recently and that's the first time I heard of WordPress. Tonnes of projects ...

Vi is one of those pieces of software that are so inherently vile that any people who have managed to master it - despite the odds to the contrary! - tend to become incredibly elitist because of it. :p Part of human nature, I'm afraid...

Not that this has anything to do with the OP's boggle, of course. My apologies.

I must resist the urge to turn this post into a giant rant but my god, whoever came up with css and php needs to be trialed for crimes against humanity. How is it possible to make something with those pieces of shit?

For a project I need to set up a wordpress page and since the default layout looks crap I want to edit it a little bit. Not much, just change the border thickness, colors and makes things look a bit tighter as the spacings are all over the place. Nothing difficult I thought. Did those things years ago with html. Hell, the page I want to build is so simple it wouldnt even take 10 minutes to do in html.

But oh no, not now. I've been trying for 7 hours, 7 fucking hours and I'm still nowhere. The whole thing makes zero sense.

How hard can it be????

Totally disagree--CSS is very simple but amazingly powerful. Paired with PHP and dynamic sites you have an extremely robust tool where you can change tens of thousands of pages instantly, even push a variety of designs and content presentations to different devices.

I have not touched Wordpress in 6 or 7 years but I actively use Drupal. Complexity of a Template will make a big difference.

A tool to help: The Fire Fox Style Inspector http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcuQ2Bn5bTA

Drupal kindly has a module that does the same thing and allows you to change your CSS right on any webpage.

As for standard ol' HTML pre-CSS... egads, what terrifying memories you drudge up of using phpinclude to separate some of my content from my design.

Ps- If the FF tool doesn't help I would suggest using Blogger. Their WYSWYG tool is intuitive, surprisingly powerful, and user error proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back