Woot ATI to have SM3.0 on next major card release :P

i think its been clear that sm3.0 was going to be in the r520. Sadly it looks like we will still have to wait another generation of hardware to get the bigger benfits of sm3.0 (namely dynamic branching) at resonable speeds to be used in games .

I could point out that PowerVR did some SM3.0 articles several years ago...

So just because an IHV does some articles on something doesn't mean hardware is forthcoming soon (but in this case it may well be true).

SM3.0 suxxx!! Booohhhh!!

Oh..wait. R520, it's that ATI thingy huh?. Nevermind..SM3.0 rocks...then..i guess.
Sucked last year though..ha!

london-boy said:
Cool, so now SM3 is a Good Thing (TM). I thought it was Not Needed Becasue You Can Do All That Stuff With SM2 (TM).
It still isn't being used in any games though, nor has there really been anything that shows any advantage for it yet.

It's still hype from both sides for me until it has some practical value. :)

digitalwanderer said:
It still isn't being used in any games though, nor has there really been anything that shows any advantage for it yet.
Right, hasn't been used yet in FarCry or Chronicles of Riddick.

the point is it doesnt offer something ud miss with an ati card, and its been almost a year now. people have been trumping sm 3.0 since nv40s release. it looks like the first game to offer something that ati owners will miss is the new splinter cell. not sure of the release date on that but thats still only 1 game.

Anyone have a timeline charting the introduction of various technologies and their initial adoption in major game releases?

Ostsol said:
Anyone have a timeline charting the introduction of various technologies and their initial adoption in major game releases?
Initial adoption? Typically that happens within a few months of a new hardware release, but the initial introduction has also always been lackluster.

Later on what you typically see is that cards with newer technologies get much more efficient than cards with older technologies when doing similar rendering.

hovz said:
the point is it doesnt offer something ud miss with an ati card, and its been almost a year now. people have been trumping sm 3.0 since nv40s release. it looks like the first game to offer something that ati owners will miss is the new splinter cell. not sure of the release date on that but thats still only 1 game.

HDR is nVidia-only in FarCry right? Same with softshadows in Riddick. I'd qualify those as features I miss.

Mordenkainen said:
hovz said:

HDR is nVidia-only in FarCry right? Same with softshadows in Riddick. I'd qualify those as features I miss.

You'd also miss 3dc on pirates and the new 3dc half life 2 lvls and 3dc patch for farcry if it ever comes out

Guess to me you miss out on whatever side you went

jvd said:
You'd also miss 3dc on pirates and the new 3dc half life 2 lvls and 3dc patch for farcry if it ever comes out

Guess to me you miss out on whatever side you went

Tell me about it. I'm the one complaining when there's companies that seemingly do everything so that customers have to own two different brands of gfx cards to experience different games like they were supposed to. o_O

Back