wondering if anyone has any idea.

unleet

Newcomer
ok, i've got a visiontek geforce 2 GTS 32mb card. I've installed the latest detonator drivers. my problem is that i can't seem to play any games that require rendering, such as unreal tourny, or tribes. is it possible that my card has physical problems or is it a software issue.. i can't run these games in any mode, whether i use software render in ut, or direct3d, or opengl.. nothing works. any help would be greatly appreciated.

-unleet.

What errors are you getting? And what is the configuration of the rest of your system? (CPU, motherboard, etc.)

well depending on what mode i choose i get different errors.. the general error is the screen freezes, but when i use openGL i get stack dump errors and when i use software render i get an error that says the software render failed.

my system specs:

amd athlon tbird 1.4ghz on gigabyte ddr board
256mb ddr 2100
win98SE

the board is the Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ KT266A

I didn't really explain what the problem was, but basically i can start the game and get into actual gameplay but when the screen says fire to start my screen will freeze and then i'll either just close it or get one of the errors i stated in the earlier post. if you need any more info on my system i'd be glad to let you know.

Every time, eh? Something is massively wrong.

And UT even crashes in software rendering?

Hrm...well, you could try reinstalling DirectX, and uninstalling your drivers and making certain there is no trace of previous drivers (esp. if your previous card was an ATI or 3dfx...especially 3dfx...), then reinstalling the drivers.

Other than that, I'm really not sure what else you can do. There's a good chance it's a bad card...

Firstly, make sure you're not overclocking anything.

1. Download latest nVidia drivers.
2. Make sure you have the latest 4-in-1's, if your MB requires them (check MB site or other MB-specific forums).
3. Uninstall current video card drivers.
a. Ctrl Panel>Add/Remove Programs: Remove nVidia drivers.
b. Ctrl Panel>System>Device Manager: Verify that the video card is shown as a Standard VGA.
4. Restart Windows.
5. Install nVidia drivers, restart if nec'y.
6. Download, reinstall latest DirectX.

If you're still having trouble, let us know. It might be an actual Windows problem (since you have the same issues with software rendering), which might require a Windows reinstall. What was your previous video card, and what steps did you take to uninstall that and install this GF2?

my last card was a voodoo3 2000, i removed the drivers for it and freshly installed my geforce2 drivers.. i hope it's not a bad card.. i've been thinking my install of windows is a problem, i feel my overall system performance is lacking because of this. my 20gb harddrive is about full, with 2gb left, could this be a problem? i'd love to have a fresh install of windows and a reformat, but i have a lot of files i don't want to get rid of and too many to backup on cd. there is a possibility the card is bad.. but would it only show in a game? i also play a strategy game called age of conquerors and the card runs it fine. i'll remove/reinstall all of my drivers and see what happens.. thanks for the help

-unleet.

I've heard a number of horror stories about upgrading from 3dfx cards. You may need to attempt a reinstall of Windows to fully clean it all up...

You could try using Partition Magic to break up your 20GM Harddrive into a 2GB system partition and put the rest of the data on another partition. you can then make a clean install of windows on the new 2GB partition without loosing any of your data, partition magic is a program that can be very helpfull in cases like these, you can get a working demo for free I think...

You can test for a bad card if you can convince a friend to let you install the card in their machine but the error with software rendering suggests its a windows problem.

You uninstalled the 3dfx drivers, but make sure you get rid of every 3dfx entry in the registry (users, are they "3dfx*" or are other keywords needed?) and where-else. Especially with W98, them relics can stay a long time.

Howver, if your card doesn't start to behave, it could be faulty. Then return it.

How was it with W98, can you re-install it nicely without losing your own files?

Back